Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 AM

13,502 posts, read 9,053,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Are we talking about mosquitoes of the type that you can hear buzzing around your head when you're trying to go to sleep at night in warmer countries (which I've never seen here), or the midges you get around lakes / forests around sunset but which don't really make a sound (which we do get a fair amount of here)? I always thought midges and mosquitoes were two different things.
Mosquitoes. You do indeed get mosquitoes in the UK, many species are actually native to the UK & several other types have been introduced. Midges are totally different things...

Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,275,987 times
Mosquitos are sooo rare in UK honestly. I have experienced some in Boston, Lincs during the summer but none since moving to Brighton.Oh god I forgot how bad they are in Poland, I remember my mum used to spray me from head to toe with that anti mosguito spray when we had meals outside in the evening or barbeques... Poland is heavily forested with lots of lakes which they really like.. but here in England I pretty much forgot they exist

Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Mosquitos are sooo rare in UK honestly. I have experienced some in Boston, Lincs during the summer but none since moving to Brighton.Oh god I forgot how bad they are in Poland, I remember my mum used to spray me from head to toe with that anti mosguito spray when we had meals outside in the evening or barbeques... Poland is heavily forested with lots of lakes which they really like.. but here in England I pretty much forgot they exist
They are not rare in the UK at all, you are less likely to encounter them in an urban environment unless there is a pond or some other standing water nearby, but they are found across the whole of the UK & some of the introduced species are found mostly in the south east. Some prefer tidal estuaries, which may be why they are so common in Portsmouth & Hayling Island...

HPA - Mosquitoes Species Profiles

Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,275,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
They are not rare in the UK at all, you are less likely to encounter them in an urban environment unless there is a pond or some other standing water nearby, but they are found across the whole of the UK & some of the introduced species are found mostly in the south east. Some prefer tidal estuaries, which may be why they are so common in Portsmouth & Hayling Island...

HPA - Mosquitoes Species Profiles
well then they are certainly very rare in Lincolnshire and almost non existent in Brighton

Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,400,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Milder winters.
Yep, so the milder weather in winter doesn't kill them so there's more when summer returns.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,400,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Mosquitoes. You do indeed get mosquitoes in the UK, many species are actually native to the UK & several other types have been introduced. Midges are totally different things...
I've never ever seen a Mosquito and I live in the warmest part of the UK in summer..

Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I've never ever seen a Mosquito and I live in the warmest part of the UK in summer..
I never ever saw a Badger in all my years I lived in the UK, doesn't mean there are not a lot of Badgers about...

As I said you are less likely to encounter them in urban areas unless there is a source of standing water for them to breed in, even a bucket or a discarded drink can filled with rain water will be enough for them to breed in. But then you just may not be to their liking

Old 06-30-2014, 07:42 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,911,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Never seen them. They are awful in Canada!!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yep, so the milder weather in winter doesn't kill them so there's more when summer returns.
Ok. Well still I don't really believe there are that many mosquitos in the UK. Maybe in isolated parts in the south.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:45 AM

It doesn't matter because I don't get bit anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather