Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,991 times

Advertisements

"Most extreme" means "Less precipitation during summer"

So... Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Santiago are the most extreme Mediterranean climates I've seen yet. Jerusalem is the most extreme.

While climates like Naples, Rome, Cape Town, Perth, Nice, Portland (Oregon), Athens and others are less extreme.

What is the most extreme Mediterranean Climate ever? Is it Jerusalem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:54 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,971,646 times
How about Big Sur? It ranges from 0.8mm in July to 231.1mm in January.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur

Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
How about Big Sur? It ranges from 0.8mm in July to 231.1mm in January.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur
Pretty harsh, but no more extreme than Jerusalem.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:24 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,556,872 times
Portland doesn't have a Mediterranean climate. The only climates in Oregon that come close to Mediterranean are between Medford-Roseburg.

Dry summers/wet winters does not make a climate "Mediterranean". Portland's dry season isn't even that long.

Latakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not as "extreme" as Jerusalem but it hotter.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Portland doesn't have a Mediterranean climate. The only climates in Oregon that come close to Mediterranean are between Medford-Roseburg.

Dry summers/wet winters does not make a climate "Mediterranean". Portland's dry season isn't even that long.

Latakia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not as "extreme" as Jerusalem but it hotter.
Latakia is not it. Jerusalem has 3 consecutive months without any precipitation and the next month has 0.3 mm. That's extreme! Not Latakia... so, is Jerusalem the most extreme ever?

Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Latakia is not it. Jerusalem has 3 consecutive months without any precipitation and the next month has 0.3 mm. That's extreme! Not Latakia... so, is Jerusalem the most extreme ever?
Baalbek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (no reliable source)

or this hicktown in northern Israel: Eilon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
select "Elon" and "mean rainfall":
Climate information

Old 06-12-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orai View Post
Baalbek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (no reliable source)

or this hicktown in northern Israel: Eilon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
select "Elon" and "mean rainfall":
Climate information
Baalbek is impressive! But... it's not a reliable source, so maybe there's some precipitation in September, like Jerusalem. But now I think I know the zone where the harshest Mediterranean Climates are found it's the Eastern Mediterranean! Right?

Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

I know this is an old argument, but I can't see how Portland isn't Mediterranean. It's a temperate climate with a semi permanent blocking high during summer, which fits the basic description of a Mediterranean. climate.

It's summer rainfall is similar to some places in the western Mediterranean.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I know this is an old argument, but I can't see how Portland isn't Mediterranean. It's a temperate climate with a semi permanent blocking high during summer, which fits the basic description of a Mediterranean. climate.

It's summer rainfall is similar to some places in the western Mediterranean.
Its definition is controversial. Some define it as an "oceanic climate" and others as a "Mediterranean climate". Personally, I think the latter fits better.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Its definition is controversial. Some define it as an "oceanic climate" and others as a "Mediterranean climate". Personally, I think the latter fits better.
Yep, I agree. Much easier to think of it as a cool Mediterranean climate, than as a Oceanic climate with a very pronounced dry season. Dry season Oceanic, is just too much of a contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather