Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 AM

513 posts, read 913,164 times

Advertisements

In the tropics (Hawaii and Panama, where I grew up) I can feel the hot, tropical sun on a grey, cloudy day. Here in coastal Los Angeles, it depends on the time of year; now when the sun is at 80 degrees in the sky I can feel the hot summer sun on a gloomy day and it's pretty humid, during winter when the sun is at 32 degrees, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM

270 posts, read 481,395 times
I feel MUCH hotter with a ridiculous 30 °C (86 °F) with sunny weather than with a hot 40 °C (104 °F) with cloudy weather! The sun really makes the heat worse, much worse because unlike the hot air that circulates around you and that agitates you body's molecules, the sunshine heats you directly and strongly and you rapidly feel the heat, while this isn't the case with the air (through convection heat transfer).

Old 06-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
In the tropics (Hawaii and Panama, where I grew up) I can feel the hot, tropical sun on a grey, cloudy day. Here in coastal Los Angeles, it depends on the time of year; now when the sun is at 80 degrees in the sky I can feel the hot summer sun on a gloomy day and it's pretty humid, during winter when the sun is at 32 degrees, not so much.
For example, In the southern Algeria (Sahara desert), the summer climate is extremely hot and extremely sunny with nearly no cloudy day at all! Over there, you can really feel the blazing desert sun beating down on you through clear sky at a very high angle (the solar angle is usually around 82 ° and 86 ° over there at summertime, very close to the maximum angle which is 90 °), much higher than under our latitudes. Not only, the desert sun cooks you but the heat itself (air temperature) is extreme, more than 113 °F (45 °C) in the shade during summer! With those such extreme conditions, the sun can be deadly if you stay too long in the direct sunlight without cooling yourself!
scorching heat + blazing sun = furnace-like and oven-like conditions

Last edited by Special_Finder; 06-26-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,919 times
Since I've moved here in Colorado, I don't feel the heat as much on a cloudy day as I did back in Texas. Today it was hot in the sun on a 93ºF day, but when the clouds came in, it cooled us down to about 84. But even WITHOUT the cloud cover, in the shade it feels nice. Rarely does the wind feel "oven" hot in Colorado. Maybe Sunday might feel like that with a projected high of 96ºF.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
Cloudy and hot day is an oxymoron where I live but I did feel the humid heat on cloudy days when visiting Hawaii and Florida including "sensing" the presence of the sun that I couldn't see.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:57 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Cloudy and hot day is an oxymoron where I live but I did feel the humid heat on cloudy days when visiting Hawaii and Florida including "sensing" the presence of the sun that I couldn't see.
When it's very hot and cloudy here (37C+ or 100F+) it's always dry heat. Temperature is measured in the shade and by the air there, so it's still gonna be that hot (I don't quite understand this thread). Except, in the sun, the heat is endlessly higher (might reach 70C or 150F)....

Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
When it's very hot and cloudy here (37C+ or 100F+) it's always dry heat. Temperature is measured in the shade and by the air there, so it's still gonna be that hot (I don't quite understand this thread). Except, in the sun, the heat is endlessly higher (might reach 70C or 150F)....
This thread is about the heat sensation when it's cloudy or in the shade (when you're not exposed to the direct sunlight). I really feel the cold when it's about 0 °C (32 °F) but I don't feel the heat when it's about 40 °C (104 °F) by the same way I feel the cold. The cold air rapidly refreshes me while the hot air takes too long time to warm my body a little bit if there's no sunlight to help to agitate my body's molecules! A heat index based on the "official" temperature of the air taken in the shade along with the solar radiation would be a good creation because a sunny heat isn't the same thing as a cloudy heat.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:11 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Can I share the opposite experience? One afternoon this January in Florida it was about 63F, I sat outside in the sun against a wall and the house was totally blocking the wind. It was like my skin was glowing and it felt warmer than inside which above 70. As soon as I left the patio and got in the wind again then it was chilly. Really neat effect.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
I don't get the people who say they can't feel any heat when it's cloudy.

I remember being in Rome in 2007 and one day it was cloudy at 30°C - it would have felt scorching in the sun but in the shade, the air was very stuffy and felt hot, as you would expect at that temperature. It's 20°C inside my room now, imagining if it was 30, it would feel very hot indeed.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I don't get the people who say they can't feel any heat when it's cloudy.

I remember being in Rome in 2007 and one day it was cloudy at 30°C - it would have felt scorching in the sun but in the shade, the air was very stuffy and felt hot, as you would expect at that temperature. It's 20°C inside my room now, imagining if it was 30, it would feel very hot indeed.
When it's cloudy, I don't really feel the heat even if it's extreme! But I have to say that the extreme heat is normally accompanied with sunny weather, because I've rarely felt temperature such as 104 °F (40 °C) without sunshine! On a "hot", cloudy day, I can only feel the heat when I'm moving around or doing some active sport and, even with that I don't really feel the hot air as I would feel the cold air if it was chilly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather