Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,682,713 times

Advertisements

No way I would!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazakh View Post
Here's another interesting map on vegetation map published in Soviet Union. The type of vegetation in Taraz is subtropical steppe (savannoids or semi-savanna):
[url=http://postimg.org/image/j8azksdm1/full/][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=french][/url]
[url=http://postimg.org/image/3v0lizr65/full/][/url]

[url=http://postimg.org/image/ona2aq9f7/full/][/url]

Taraz is on the border of subtropical climate.

P.S. Guys, none of you even posted maps from the credible sources like I did, still you think otherwise than me.
It has freezing winters and hot summers.. it is clearly continental! Clear temperature gap between the seasons as well..

Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM

38 posts, read 64,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
It has freezing winters and hot summers.. it is clearly continental! Clear temperature gap between the seasons as well..
It is indeed subtropical continental as Alisov mentioned.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
It is indeed subtropical continental as Alisov mentioned.
That is such a ridiculous classification to create though.. no such type exists.. and for good reason..

Subtropical and continental are not two types of climate that are coherent with each other..

Taraz has summer highs averaging 33C, winter highs averaging 2C, that is over 30C difference! Clearly a continental characteristic.. same with the lows. It has no subtropical characteristics whatsoever.. it has hot summers because of its inland location on the continent and clearly its climate is defined by its position on land..

People say that NYC and DC are subtropical when they are not, they are both continental/temperate and yet they have even less difference between winter and summer

Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
That is such a ridiculous classification to create though.. no such type exists.. and for good reason..

Subtropical and continental are not two types of climate that are coherent with each other..

Taraz has summer highs averaging 33C, winter highs averaging 2C, that is over 30C difference! Clearly a continental characteristic.. same with the lows. It has no subtropical characteristics whatsoever.. it has hot summers because of its inland location on the continent and clearly its climate is defined by its position on land..

People say that NYC and DC are subtropical when they are not, they are both continental/temperate and yet they have even less difference between winter and summer
Dude, I didn't coin this term on my own. It was already done before I was born. This is a clear clash of Western vs. Soviet climate schools. We've different backgrounds.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Dude, I didn't coin this term on my own. It was already done before I was born. This is a clear clash of Western vs. Soviet climate schools. We've different backgrounds.
But clearly it has more continental characteristics than subtropical - of which it has none to me!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
But clearly it has more continental characteristics than subtropical - of which it has none to me!
They're not mutually exclusive terms.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
They're not mutually exclusive terms.
They are.. a continental climate implies cold winters, which Taraz has. It cannot be subtropical with lows of -8C in winter.. that is just silly!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Here's a news article (in Russian) about amateur guy who has 2 banana trees growing in his garden in Taraz: Официальный сайт акимата Кордайского района Жамбылской области
Sure, this guy confessed that during winter season he took them indoors. After all, he managed to do it:-)
If the bananas have to go inside for part of the year, then they can't be said to be suitable for that areas climate. This really highlights how unsuitable the climate is for subtropical vegetation of that type.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If the bananas have to go inside for part of the year, then they can't be said to be suitable for that areas climate. This really highlights how unsuitable the climate is for subtropical vegetation of that type.
Lol exactly.. that's like saying I could grow a coconut palm here (except that I keep it indoors under a heater and artificial UV light for 11 months of the year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather