Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 AM

13,504 posts, read 9,058,436 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the OP. He asks the question if we classify a particular climate as being sub-tropical, every single person says that it isn't, then he says we are all wrong & it is sub-tropical...

Why ask if you had already made your mind up?

And yes it is continental NOT sub-tropical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM

38 posts, read 64,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I don't understand the OP. He asks the question if we classify a particular climate as being sub-tropical, every single person says that it isn't, then he says we are all wrong & it is sub-tropical...

Why ask if you had already made your mind up?

And yes it is continental NOT sub-tropical
Amigos, what is not clear for you? The situation is interesting in a way that most of you say it's NOT subtropical while maps(they're credible from reputable soviet sources) says otherwise. Koppen even complicated things even further with his -3C isotherm as the lowest border of C type climate. Since I discovered his system just 3 months ago, I became curious what the heck is that. I am engineer by profession so don't get me wrong -it's in my nature to question things the way they are. e.g. 3 years ago I discovered personal DNA testing, and found out many things that I would never know in my whole life if wasn't curious and stubborn from time to time. Please visit Kazakh's DNA Results to see interesting findings I made through the small molecules named "DNA".

P.S. All my life I never even thought that my city where I grew up is in so called "subtropical" climate. That even fig trees, pomegranate, lemon tree could be grown in my garden which I will definitely do in the near future.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,963,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazakh View Post
P.S. All my life I never even thought that my city where I grew up is in so called "subtropical" climate. That even fig trees, pomegranate, lemon tree could be grown in my garden which I will definitely do in the near future.

Your lemon tree won't make it past the first month of January with an avg high/low 35.6/18F. What is the avg lowest temp that is reached there each winter? 5F? 10F? You can forget about any lemon trees or any other citrus for that matter.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM

38 posts, read 64,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Your lemon tree won't make it past the first month of January with an avg high/low 35.6/18F. What is the avg lowest temp that is reached there each winter? 5F? 10F? You can forget about any lemon trees or any other citrus for that matter.
We will see it There is a Tashkent lemon which can tolerate low temps unlike most lemon forms.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM

13,504 posts, read 9,058,436 times
Quote:
Amigos, what is not clear for you? The situation is interesting in a way that most of you say it's NOT subtropical while maps(they're credible from reputable soviet sources) says otherwise. Koppen even complicated things even further with his -3C isotherm as the lowest border of C type climate. Since I discovered his system just 3 months ago, I became curious what the heck is that. I am engineer by profession so don't get me wrong -it's in my nature to question things the way they are. e.g. 3 years ago I discovered personal DNA testing, and found out many things that I would never know in my whole life if wasn't curious and stubborn from time to time. Please visit Kazakh's DNA Results to see interesting findings I made through the small molecules named "DNA".

A few maps mean nothing & the Koppen system has huge flaws, you can kid yourself all you like & claim you live in a sub-tropical climate, but you don't...

And good luck growing those lemons in your garden, you should give some bananas & even a coconut a go too...

Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Again, nope. Nowhere near subtropical.. clearly continental.
Cfa climates are commonly found in continental interiors. So subtropical in the sense of Cfa can certainly be continental. The commonalities of Cfa climates is lack of continuous or near continuous winter snow cover. It's not the greatest marker, but there's a certain logic: there's not a huge difference in character between say, Arkansas and southern New England that it's an entirely different climate. The deep south, yes. If you don't like the name subtropical, use something else. There needs to be some label for Cfa climates, subtropical in this case fits the definition of Koppen's Cfa rules.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:01 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,424,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Cfa climates are commonly found in continental interiors. So subtropical in the sense of Cfa can certainly be continental. The commonalities of Cfa climates is lack of continuous or near continuous winter snow cover. It's not the greatest marker, but there's a certain logic: there's not a huge difference in character between say, Arkansas and southern New England that it's an entirely different climate. The deep south, yes. If you don't like the name subtropical, use something else. There needs to be some label for Cfa climates, subtropical in this case fits the definition of Koppen's Cfa rules.
I still think that to call somewhere cfa -using the term subtropical or not - is definitely flawed when there is such a large temperature range between the seasons. This climate clearly has continental characteristics.. I don't know why Koppen thought that snow cover had to be common requirement to differentiate. In most other climate groups there are similarities at the top and bottom of locations in each scale.. in the cfa type there are none at all. This place shares nothing with Brisbane..

Old 08-22-2014, 10:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I still think that to call somewhere cfa -using the term subtropical or not - is definitely flawed when there is such a large temperature range between the seasons. This climate clearly has continental characteristics.. I don't know why Koppen thought that snow cover had to be common requirement to differentiate. In most other climate groups there are similarities at the top and bottom of locations in each scale.. in the cfa type there are none at all. This place shares nothing with Brisbane..
I would subdivide it as well, but there are downsides to have too many subdivisions — eventually it destroys the point of classification. Comparing the extremes of each type is bound to get oddities.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,424,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I would subdivide it as well, but there are downsides to have too many subdivisions — eventually it destroys the point of classification. Comparing the extremes of each type is bound to get oddities.
But in general I think that this is the only type that would need two types.. or even just changing the boundaries for continental climates/desert climates which this one falls close to. Looking at October, the lows are already 2C.. that says to me that this place is very continental

Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,742,589 times
Quote:
Taraz is zone 7 actually.
That must be the only region in the world then with an average low of -8C in the coldest month that is in Zone 7 That map shows Sochi as zone 8 which it is clearly not as it is in zone 9 and has winters way warmer than Taraz. How can there be only one zone difference between the two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather