Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 PM

38 posts, read 64,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Lol exactly.. that's like saying I could grow a coconut palm here (except that I keep it indoors under a heater and artificial UV light for 11 months of the year)
Oh,yeah, I forgot to mention artificial light and heating he used. He's Borat, that's what you wanted to say?

If you're smart then explain why lower and higher limits in Koppen-Geiger classification for average t. are -3(ok,let 0C be) and 22C respectively? Hmm? The difference is more than 20C, and you know this for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazakh View Post
Oh,yeah, I forgot to mention artificial light and heating he used. He's Borat, that's what you wanted to say?

If you're smart then explain why lower and higher limits in Koppen-Geiger classification for average t. are -3(ok,let 0C be) and 22C respectively? Hmm? The difference is more than 20C, and you know this for sure.
Because Koppen is an idiot. All classifications have flaws and this is obviously one..

This place is clearly continental.. no question at all.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Because Koppen is an idiot. All classifications have flaws and this is obviously one..

This place is clearly continental.. no question at all.
Well, then create your own standards and popularize it if you know climate classification better than Koppen did.What's the problem?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,294 times
Quote:
Well, then create your own standards and popularize it if you know climate classification better than Koppen did.What's the problem?
The problem is that Taraz has freezing winters.. average low -8C in January.. hot summers.. do you think that is sub tropical? By this definition is Chicago then almost subtropical as well?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
The problem is that Taraz has freezing winters.. average low -8C in January.. hot summers.. do you think that is sub tropical? By this definition is Chicago then almost subtropical as well?
It seems to me that you hang up with the term ''subtropical''. Nature doesn't know this term after all.

I'd prefer term warm temperate if it makes you comfortable. Subtropical is a misnomer....

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
It seems to me that you hang up with the term ''subtropical''. Nature doesn't know this term after all.

I'd prefer term warm temperate if it makes you comfortable. Subtropical is a misnomer....
I agree it's in the name, as all climates in the group do share core characteristics (even if the range is rather extreme) but don't think warm temperate is appropriate either, as it won't allow a consistent understanding of ecology due to climate.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I agree it's in the name, as the climates in the group do share core characteristics (even if the range is rather extreme) but don't think warm temperate is appropriate either, as it won't allow a consistent understanding of ecology due to climate.
Well, I am glad that we have some agreements. I mentioned about rainbow colours before. It's the same story here. e.g. Where does exactly 'real' green colour starts and finish, where it starts to overlap with red(in orange?) It's rhetorical question,don't answer.

Here's a picture of pomegranate grown in Taraz:

There is one russian guy who has common fig tree in his garden in Taraz.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Well, I am glad that we have some agreements. I mentioned about rainbow colours before. It's the same story here. e.g. Where does exactly 'real' green colour starts and finish, where it starts to overlap with red(in orange?) It's rhetorical question,don't answer.

Here's a picture of pomegranate grown in Taraz:

There is one russian guy who has common fig tree in his garden in Taraz.

Pomegranates need zone 7 and I suspect that Taraz is zone 5 according to this map and so unless you had protection for the tree, it would most likely die.

MBG: Research: Russia: Ornamental plants from Russia

Figs also grow here in Vancouver which isn't subtropical so what's your point?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Pomegranates need zone 7 and I suspect that Taraz is zone 5 according to this map and so unless you had protection for the tree, it would most likely die.

MBG: Research: Russia: Ornamental plants from Russia

Figs also grow here in Vancouver which isn't subtropical so what's your point?
Taraz is zone 7 actually.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,384,546 times
[quote=Kazakh;36176710]
Quote:
Well, I do NOT think that climate borders are discrete in nature(e.g. -2.8C
subtropical, -3.1C continental), instead they're like colours in rainbow that
has smooth transition from one colour to another.
I think every city in the world has actually it´s uniqueness and it is complicated or even impossible to hunt out cities A and B which are 100% identical: in monthly mean temperature wise, in monthly mean humidity wise, in monthly mean precipitation wise. Cassifications sustem are all generalistions and thus classifications are done roughly although Taraz may indeed beon the borderline.

Quote:
I know this situation. I lived myself in Dublin for 5 years and winter there is
even warmer than in Estonia.
Dublin is Cfb climate type but honestly I
didn't like that weather at all. Almost always overcast skyline most of the
time, no real hot summer like in Taraz. No distinct climate seasons.
In fact Estonia and Ireland have very different climates, in Ireland temperature´s annual amplitude is circa 30c degrees, while in Estonia it is more than 60c, thus Estonia is much more continental. I just cherry picked the least continental extremum out of Estonia to show the lenght of Taraz´s winters is not in my opinion suitable for labelling as subtropical.

Quote:
Khorramabad is a typical Csa climate no doubt. But the closest city with Csa
climate is just next door to Taraz. It is Shymkent.
If you go even south by 100km there's another big city with Csa
climate-Tashkent.
I mentioned Khorramabad because it was mentioned in that wikipedia article, I know it is not near to you and that Toshkent is much nearer to you. And yet, if you look at the climate tabl e of Tashkent and compare it to Taraz´s you can see a clear difference: there is now winter (sub zero monhly mean temperatures) there but you do have winter in Taraz. That is the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather