Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Athens, GA Vs. Athens, Greece
Athens, Greece 20 50.00%
Athens, Georgia 20 50.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
You have obviously never been to a deep subtropical climate like the deep south USA, Queensland, southeast Asia...etc. The Mediterranean could not hold candle to the dew point temps in humid subtropical/tropical climates. There in different leagues.
That might be true, but there are some Mediterranean climates with very high dew points, like Messina
Average Weather For Messina, Italy - WeatherSpark

Athens on the other side has very low dew points.
Average Weather For Elfesis/Eleusis, Greece - WeatherSpark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:04 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
You have obviously never been to a deep subtropical climate like the deep south USA, Queensland, southeast Asia...etc. The Mediterranean could not hold candle to the dew point temps in humid subtropical/tropical climates. There in different leagues.
Well obviously.. tropical climates are located in the tropics mostly, at latitudes generally below 23 degrees north, whereas Athens in Georgia lies at 33.5N and Athens in Greece lies at 37.5N That's like saying London could not hold candle to the hot temperatures in Phoenix

Typical average dewpoints during the day in Athens Greece are 63F/17C in July but this is for the inland station.. i'd like to see the actual dewpoints for more coastal locations, as the city is by the coast after all.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:17 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,576,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Yes

It is a myth that Mediterranean locations are dry and not humid.

Athens Greece probably has similar or even higher dew points to the location in the US, the only difference is that within 5km of the coast the heat turns dry instead of humid
It's the same in the Mediterranean coast of Iberian peninsula. I experienced that every time I went to Barcelona in summer months, as the relative humidity tend to be very low within 20 or 30 km away to the coast.
However, it's mostly sunny everyday.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:02 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I give the climate in Athens, GA a B.

I think we're pretty lucky that most severe thunderstorms seem to lose a bit of gusto as they move out of Atlanta, which diminishes the tornado threat here compared to other parts of Georgia. Also, we're far enough north that we can get a snowstorm or two during the winter, though winters without snow are not unheard of.

The only drawback to the climate is that summer lasts about a month too long. It's generally hot and humid from early June through late September. If it was, say, mid-June through mid-September, that'd be easier to deal with, because the way it is, I typically start to get tired of the heat by the middle of August.

By the way, it was two years ago today (June 29, 2012) that I lived through the hottest day in Athens, GA history: 109°F. It was surreal seeing a totally cloudless sky during the early summer in a humid subtropical climate.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:26 PM

115 posts, read 145,393 times
Quote:

Typical average dewpoints during the day in Athens Greece are 63F/17C in July but this is for the inland station.. i'd like to see the actual dewpoints for more coastal locations, as the city is by the coast after all.

....yea and average dew points during the day across inland south Georgia are 72 F/21 C in July. The current dew point in Savannah, Georgia right now is 74 F/23 C (75 F dewpoint in New Orleans right now), and often places in south Georgia see 77 F/25 C dewpoints!

http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/...name=undefined

Athens, Greece...nor anywhere in the Mediterranean can't touch that.

Trust me, you have no idea what your talking about.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
....yea and average dew points during the day across inland south Georgia are 72 F/21 C in July. The current dew point in Savannah, Georgia right now is 74 F/23 C (75 F dewpoint in New Orleans right now), and often places in south Georgia see 77 F/25 C dewpoints!

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Dew Points

Then how is the average low 69 F if dew points are much higher.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:

[url=http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/currentweatherusnational/uscurrentdewpoints_large.html?clip=undefined&regio n=undefined&collection=localwxforecast&presname=un defined]weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Dew Points[/url]

That's not true.. there are places in the Med with average dew points above 70F at a higher latitude than Athens in Georgia..

Nicosia at 35N averages 73F/23C dewpoints along with 38C average highs
[url=http://weatherspark.com/averages/32004/Lefkosa-Nicosia-Cyprus]Average Weather For Lefkosa, Cyprus - WeatherSpark[/url]

Palermo at 38N averages 75F/24C dewpoints

Milan at 45N averages 68F/20C dewpoints

The US south is a very humid place, but the Mediterranean is also humid by coastal locations and can be more humid than the US latitude for latitude in some places

Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
That's not true.. there are places in the Med with average dew points above 70F at a higher latitude than Athens in Georgia..

Nicosia at 35N averages 73F/23C dewpoints along with 38C average highs
Average Weather For Lefkosa, Cyprus - WeatherSpark

Palermo at 38N averages 75F/24C dewpoints

Milan at 45N averages 68F/20C dewpoints

The US south is a very humid place, but the Mediterranean is also humid by coastal locations and can be more humid than the US latitude for latitude in some places

The link you provided does NOT say Nicosia AVERAGES a 73 F dewpoint....it says dewpoints range from 36 F (very dry) to 73 F (humid). It also says that Cape Hatteras, NC at 35 N latitude has dew points that range from 29 F to 76 F. It tells nothing about averages.

I doubt (truly doubt) that Palermo or Milan has average dewpoint temps anywhere near the figures you posted, this is especially true of Palermo as it is a DRY SUMMER subtropical climate. In fact, in terms of averages - I would doubt that anywhere in the Med has AVERAGE dew points even above 65 F....which is nothing compared to the 75 - 77 F dewpoint averages across the USA Deep south.

Your attempting to compare dry subtropical climates (the Mediterranean)....with wet subtropical climates that have a near constant flow out of the DEEP tropics all summer (the USA deep south). You just can't compare the two - trust me.

The current dewpoint in Nicosia is 17 C/64 F
Strovolos Current Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Nicosia Cyprus

The current dewpoint across parts of INTERIOR south Georgia is 73 to 79 F...and that's noting special or extreme for early summer. I've seen 80 F dewpoints + in New Orleans, Savannah, and parts of Florida.

Charleston, SC

Old 06-29-2014, 08:44 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
They are talking about south Georgia not Athens.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
The average dewpoints in southern Georgia are likely around 68 - 70 F in the summer months (you would have to look it up). Your correct (at least the way I understand it), when the Dewpoint as at the air temp - the air is maximally saturated with water and RH is 100%. If you have ever been to tropical climates you'll often note a heavy dew on plants and buildings in the early morning - this is because (as it was explained to me), that the air temp starts to cool and falls and by just before dawn the air temp and dewpoint temp are the same.

Despite what people think (again from the way it was explained to me) RH goes up (not down) at night and falls during the day. This is often why nights seem (and are) more oppressive in the tropics and the daylight hrs feel drier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather