Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
True, but maybe due to the proximity of the continental influence from Europe helps. NZ has no large landmass anywhere near it, not to mention the huge percentage of the S. Hemisphere that is ocean compared to N. Hemisphere.
True it is ultimately more Oceanic, but I think the warmer SST for the latitude helps.

Look at the Azores, compared to Tauranga at the same latitude. Those nights are nearly 5C warmer.

Azores - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tauranga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 AM

29,542 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, George you enjoy irritating the UK posters with constantly bringing up the cool nature of their summers.
How am I irritating anyone if all I asked was when was the last time London had a humidex of 40C after B87 claimed that it happened every summer?

Quote:
Come winter they will be laughing at you. Well not you, cause you seem to enjoy extreme cold winters, but the massive numbers of the rest of Chicagoans that board all those flights to Hawaii and Florida I saw on the news last winter. You are rare indeed..
I, do enjoy the winter. I look forward it especially by November which is the lamest month possible here, just chilly and gray. I don't mind getting away for a week to a warmer climate. I was in South Beach in April of 2013, and I saw loads of Europeans (from Brits to Italians) escaping their dreary winters and springs too.

Quote:
I've yet to meet a person from Chicago, or anyone that lived there, that enjoyed their winters. Most dreaded them. They are dreadful
Everyone has their own opinion, not everyone loves a cold snowy winter, but I do know plenty other who do as well. I much prefer our winters over a cold rainy/slushy winter which plagues Philly as it's temperature straddles the upper 30's to low 40's for highs during the day, and below freezing at night.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
To not get above 21C for 10 days straight in August isn't exactly common though. Maybe 40 doesn't happen every summer, but high 30s does.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
How am I irritating anyone if all I asked was when was the last time London had a humidex of 40C after B87 claimed that it happened every summer?
It isn't what you ask, it's the way you ask things, combined with the added sarcasm/p*** taking, which is quite deliberately done to bait/wind up posters...

And constantly being all smug because you believe that people from the UK are jealous of your climate, when in reality most think your climate is absolute **** I can't think of a worse climate type than continental, where it is freezing cold in winter & boiling hot in summer, no thanks. Just as you are getting used to the cold it warms up & just as you are getting used to the heat it cools down, awful...

Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,692,360 times
Well said.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 AM

29,542 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
It isn't what you ask, it's the way you ask things, combined with the added sarcasm/p*** taking, which is quite deliberately done to bait/wind up posters...

I don't see how this was scarcastic in any way

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Any examples this summer or last?

Using a humidex calculator a 30C temperature would need to have a relative humidity level of 68% to achieve a humidex of 40C. A temp of 32C would need to have a 52% RH to hit 40C

Canadian Humidex Calculator

Quote:
And constantly being all smug because you believe that people from the UK are jealous of your climate, when in reality most think your climate is absolute **** I can't think of a worse climate type than continental, where it is freezing cold in winter & boiling hot in summer, no thanks. Just as you are getting used to the cold it warms up & just as you are getting used to the heat it cools down, awful...
^^

That's all good for you.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
It's good for me & many others on the site that agree with me too

Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
To not get above 21C for 10 days straight in August isn't exactly common though. Maybe 40 doesn't happen every summer, but high 30s does.
That must be incredibly rare in London to not reach 21C for so long?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:52 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
I think that our summers are OK but really when you go to somewhere like the med you realise how much better they are there. The current August spell in London is awful though, can't remember the last time we had a spell of summer weather so bad.. even 2007 was better in July compared to the past 2 weeks this August!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:30 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I think that our summers are OK but really when you go to somewhere like the med you realise how much better they are there. The current August spell in London is awful though, can't remember the last time we had a spell of summer weather so bad.. even 2007 was better in July compared to the past 2 weeks this August!
Yeah I completely agree. OK pretty much sums up the an average summer here, although people from warmer climates tend to think its dreadful.
Saying that, my sisters husband loved our climate. He's from Brisbane and really dislikes the long hot summers, and no winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather