Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:16 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,009 times

Advertisements

This morning it was in the 20s with a stiff wind but most of the hundreds of people I saw downtown and standing at the bus stop were wearing a light spring jacket more suited for 55 degree temps. I rarely see anyone with a winter coat even if it is near 10 degrees. Especially women, who like to stand and shiver at the bus stop. I wonder if it is not fashionable. They look very cold and miserable but refuse to wear a warm jacket.

I also notice that no matter how cold it is few people will wear a hat. I understand that most heat is lost through ones head, but few people got that memo. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
This morning it was in the 20s with a stiff wind but most of the hundreds of people I saw downtown and standing at the bus stop were wearing a light spring jacket more suited for 55 degree temps. I rarely see anyone with a winter coat even if it is near 10 degrees. Especially women, who like to stand and shiver at the bus stop. I wonder if it is not fashionable. They look very cold and miserable but refuse to wear a warm jacket.

I also notice that no matter how cold it is few people will wear a hat. I understand that most heat is lost through ones head, but few people got that memo. Why?

Huh, you think that's bad, you should live here in Arizona. Some people are still wearing shorts, even here in Prescott!! (it's down to the 40's and 30's degrees!!). We have a bartender here, at one of the bars, and she wears shorts year round! Even when it snowed for a short time, she still wore shorts!! Now how crazy is that!! Sheeshh!!!! BRRRRR!!!

(Note: For those of you who have never been to Arizona...YES! it does get very cold here. It's not warm year round. NO WAY!! I wished I was in Florida right now, to tell you the truth!).

Old 12-26-2007, 01:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
I don't know. Sometimes I notice that here in Dallas too. I think here the issue is that the temps are usually so mild even in winter that people can "get by" without wearing the heavier stuff...usually! Then we get a really significant cold front in and it's kinda like people run out thinking and acting like it is STILL mild! Does that make any sense?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:30 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I wished I was in Florida right now, to tell you the truth!).
lol leana

It is a brisk 49 degrees here today in NE FL

to the original question
Maybe they can't afford heavier clothing so they have layered the best they can.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
I can't speak for the blistering cold you're referring to, but in Florida, it's cold in the morning and then it warms up so much you end up carrying your jacket around and risk misplacing it.
I guess up north, people tend to go from a building to a vehicle and vice versa, so no one prepares to stand outside very long. Jackets can be a burden if they're not being worn. Personally, I like having extra pockets and wear a jacket every chance I get.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Don't know where your from but, it really depends on the location. Up here in Northern Maine this time of year, if it is in the 20's it IS about right to wear something a bit lighter. Texas, Florida, and areas like that I cannot imagine why people would rather freeze than stay warm. Here, when it is COLD everybody wears their heavy jackets, hats, and gloves. It's no fun trying to be "fashionable" when it is -20 F and the wind is screeching out of the North.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:45 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
You Know You're In Alaska When...

. . .you know which leaves make good toilet paper.

. . .the mayor greets you on the street by your first name.

. . .there is only one shopping plaza in town.

. . .the municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.

. . .the major parish fundraiser isn't bingo - its sausage making.

. . .you find -60c a might chilly.

. . .the trunk of your car doubles as a deep freeze.

. . .you attended a formal event in your best clothes, your finest jewels and your Sorrels.

. . .you can play road hockey on ice skates.

. . .shoveling the driveway constitutes a great upper body workout.

. . .you know the 4 seasons: Winter, Still Winter, Almost Winter, and Construction.

. . .when it warms up to -35 degrees(Fahrenheit) and you go out in your shirt sleeves to wash you car.

. . .when you drive for a mile on square tires on a -65 morning before they eventually become normal.

. . .when you have to put your sun visor down at 3:00 a.m.

. . .all of your relatives refer to you as that crazy person that lives up there.

. . .your kids think that you have to get on a airplane to go on vacation.

. . .freezing, 32 degrees(Fahrenheit), is warm enough to wash your car.

. . .you only own four spices: salt, pepper, ketchup, and Tabasco.

. . .you design your Halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit.

. . .the mosquitoes have landing lights.

. . .you have more miles on you snowblower than your car.

. . .you have 10 favorite recipes for moose meat.

. . .you've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard.

. . .driving is better in the winter because the potholes get filled with snow.

. . .you think sexy lingerie is fleece socks and a flannel nightie with only 8 buttons.

. . .you owe more money on your snowmobile than your car.

. . .at least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.

. . .the most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.

. . .your snowblower gets stuck on the roof.

. . .you think the start of moose season is a national holiday.

. . .you frequently clean grease off your barbecue so the bears won't prowl on your deck.

. . .you take off your shirt and your arms are as pale as your legs all the way to your wrists.

. . .you know that the term "Break Up" has more to do with the weather than personal relationships.

. . .your monthly phone bill is larger than your house payment.

. . .there is a bottle of Avon's Skin-So-Soft in your tackle box.

. . .you don't know anyone who doesn't own a 4-wheeler.

. . .you have ever taken a trip "outside" and tried to cash a traveler's check, drawn on an Alaskan bank, and the cashier asked you the current exchange rate in Alaska.

. . .you have ever washed your car while there was still snow on the ground.

. . .you have ever power washed your car by parking driver's side into the rain in the morning, and passenger side into the rain in the afternoon. (a Dutch Harbor thing)

. . .you have tennis elbow but have never played tennis, just snagged a lot of salmon.

. . .you know a honey bucket is really a bucket, but it's not really full of honey. (If you don't know, don't ask)

. . .you know that the Rat Net is not a rodent catching device.

. . .you travel for two days to get outside but none of your family members will travel more than two minutes to visit you.

. . .you learned to swim indoors.

. . .you leave your Christmas lights up, year round, because as soon as it gets warm enough to take them down it starts getting dark enough to put them up again.

. . .your bedroom windows are covered in aluminum foil.

. . .you had waffle soles put on your cowboy boots.

. . .you know that a "handi-man-jack" is a device designed to lift a car to change a flat, not a guy named Jack that comes around your house on Saturdays to repair minor problems.

. . .you know a "white out" has to do with winter conditions not correcting fluid for typos.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Well, I for one hate wearing snowboots and heavy winter coats. Personally, I'd rather wear shorts, tank tops, and sandals year-round.

But since I can't, I reserve heavy bundling for only the coldest days of the year~those below zero or with windchills below zero. I like to layer with a tank top, t-shirt, and a hoodie whenever the days will get up to the freezing mark. But I'm not sure as to the real reason since I'm not a very fashion-conscious person.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:42 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,959,271 times
yea, i know like here in georgia the other day it was like 18 degrees outside and people were wearing shorts, and those people were complaining that it's cold, and they "didn't know it was going to be so cold", i'm like "when the high the day before is 36, that should give you a hint that it's going to be very cold in the morning"

Old 12-26-2007, 05:55 PM

36 posts, read 149,224 times
I went down to Florida once over Christmas, and it was like 45 degrees, so I was wearing a sweatshirt, but all of the Floridians I saw were wearing hats and scarves and big marshmallow parkas.
Anyway, most of the time, I've noticed, people up north only wear heavy coats if it is snowing really hard or it is very windy.

Last edited by ohioan_17; 12-26-2007 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather