Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:02 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,177,307 times

Advertisements

Can anyone think of any TV shows or movies that misrepresent the climates/daily weather of the regions they take place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
GTA: Vice City (Miami) - afternoon thunder
Harry Potter (England) - gloomy weather
LOTR (NZ) - always cool, but not much snow

Old 10-27-2014, 11:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
LOTR (NZ) - always cool, but not much snow
Lord Of the Ring movies aren't set in NZ, so can't misrepresent the climate of NZ.

They are set in a place called Middle Earth.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 AM

510 posts, read 610,219 times
Pretty much any tv show or movie set in Seattle.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
In the Game of Thrones immediately beyond the wall, like at Craster's Keep, one of the predominant tree species are oak. In reality oaks couldn't survive in such a harsh subarctic climate, at least with foliage. Either it's not snow there all the time (in the books there isn't), or the trees are out of place.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
Most American films set in London show dark and rainy conditions almost permanently. Most British films set in London show a mixture of conditions.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,975 times
Most Western media - Russia is always cold and snowy.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Lord Of the Ring movies aren't set in NZ, so can't misrepresent the climate of NZ.

They are set in a place called Middle Earth.
Being in "Middle Earth" or not (which is fictional either way), the camera still showed us the weather and physical outlook of NZ. Oh, I misread the OP here... I thought the films were a good representation of NZ's climate rather - usually cloudy, foggy and cool.

To answer this thread...

Los Angeles is always shown to be summery, tropical and sunny in American films. When I look at LA's winter temps and precipitation it seems far from summery and more temperate rather (especially Santa Monica) - How come I rarely see the winter portion shown in film? I mean, the last time I saw a movie with a wintry LA was probably Rush Hour (you could tell from the rain).

Home & Away, an Australian soap opera, usually shows Sydney as being sunny and hot 24/7. Okay, we are mostly on the sunny side but we're no Yuma. I don't think it ever showed Sydney having thunder or rain. We're usually shown in the beach, sunbathing under 30C heat twelve months of the year. I don't think rain exists in that show's 'universe'.

Last edited by Ethereal; 10-28-2014 at 02:19 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 02:08 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In the Game of Thrones immediately beyond the wall, like at Craster's Keep, one of the predominant tree species are oak. In reality oaks couldn't survive in such a harsh subarctic climate, at least with foliage. Either it's not snow there all the time (in the books there isn't), or the trees are out of place.
Also: in Skyrim (most of which is tundra and forest tundra) there are gourds and tomatoes growing in open ground. Actually, both species like wam weather and need warm summers to grow, so they can't grow in tundra or forest tundra. Same about crickets, which need warm nights to live outside (in Skyrim you can hear them even when there is snow!) Lavender doesn't grow in tundra either. Though radish, which is a quite cold-hardy plant, is absent in Skyrim, while it was in Oblivion (which was set in Cyrodiil, a warmer province than Skyrim). However, both The Elder Scrolls and Game of Thrones are fictional words, so their laws are different from real word's.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:49 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Being in "Middle Earth" or not (which is fictional either way), the camera still showed us the weather and physical outlook of NZ. Oh, I misread the OP here... I thought the films were a good representation of NZ's climate rather - usually cloudy, foggy and cool.
"usually cloudy and foggy" is a considerable exaggeration and oversimplification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather