Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 10:03 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Front View Post
Just don't move to Melbourne or especially southwest Victoria, the climate is almost as **** as Northern Ireland!
Dunno, Melbourne's high of 26C and around 270 hours of sunshine in January is much better than Portsmouth's high of 22C and around 262 hours of sunshine in July... In other words Melbourne doesn't look to bad, even winter looks alright in comparison! Brisbane and the rest of the coast of Queensland on the other hand though... Hell yea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I have always loved pizzas in France, Italy and Spain! In fact they are pretty much the same as you get in restaurants here, looking like this:
Hmm. That's not what I saw in Spain. But I wasn't really trying to find pizza in Spain, but what I saw didn't look like that.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Have you even been to NI? Yes of course it is less populated but we are strikingly similar to parts of GB, at least Scotland anyway.

Streetview here:
[url]https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1258083,-6.7235228,3a,75y,11.36h,80.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCyBIinVTDd53aXteuWa8oQ!2e0[/url]

Streetview Scotland:
[url]https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.0686382,-3.5389035,3a,75y,255.16h,77.36t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s5dgPSMeWWj5pOCztmpaEtA!2e0[/url]
Scotland maybe, but then Scotland is not very similar to England either, at least southern England anyway.

And what is the point in going abroad to stay in a golf resort? Those towns are not 'dumpy' at all

Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. That's not what I saw in Spain. But I wasn't really trying to find pizza in Spain, but what I saw didn't look like that.
Ahh, well every time I have a pizza it is pretty much the same whether I'm in Italy, Spain or France.. very thin, not much tomato sauce as you say, and crispy. I like them like that though, so maybe it's just me.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
Yes they are! You should see Benidorm and the areas around there!

Full of people from Liverpool and that area. Think I will stick to America, although maybe visit Scandinavia and definitely Dubai.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 AM

41 posts, read 32,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Dunno, Melbourne's high of 26C and around 270 hours of sunshine in January is much better than Portsmouth's high of 22C and around 262 hours of sunshine in July... In other words Melbourne doesn't look to bad, even winter looks alright in comparison! Brisbane and the rest of the coast of Queensland on the other hand though... Hell yea!
The theory looks alright, but the reality is ****. Melbourne swings between days that barely scratch 20C, to days in the 30-40C range or even higher. The former is more frequent though. That's how the 26C average comes to be. And a LOT of summer evenings feature a cold seabreeze which ruins any warmth and often results in a cold and cloudy stratus-laden morning the next day (the stratus might burn off the by afternoon if you are lucky). People in Sydney complain about a similar effect which they call the "scud fest", except there, the temp stays above 20C most summer nights, scud fest or not, so they have no right to sook.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:09 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
If you are so homesick you should just move back. Always looking at the weather here and discussing on a UK forum. When I was in America I didn't give a **** what happened here, intact I was raging that I had to come back.
What? This is a weather forum, you know to discuss the weather... And of course I am still going to take an interest in the weather for somewhere I lived my whole life up until 11 months ago & where all my family still live At least when I was back in the UK last week I didn't come on here, or any other internet forum for that matter, unlike you, who goes on holiday then spends the entire time indoors on internet forums moaning about hot it is

Quote:
Well he can to me if you immigrate your new home is your permanent home so you shouldn't really care whats going on in the place you immigrated from, afterall its supposed to be better in the new place.
So if you ever leave N.I (unlikely) you will have no interest at all in anything that is going on where you were born & spent most of your life?? Ok then...

We really do need that Owen sub-forum for all these gems to be in one place to cheer us up when we are feeling down

Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Yes they are! You should see Benidorm and the areas around there!

Full of people from Liverpool and that area. Think I will stick to America, although maybe visit Scandinavia and definitely Dubai.
Benidorm is a dump though, that's common knowledge so why would anybody go there? Anywhere else in the country is lovely with rich culture and beautiful scenery and buildings.

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Front View Post
If we're talking about winter, then certainly. But summer, I'm not so sure. Seems like New England gets more humidity, warmer lows/highs and more thunderstorms in summer, although the record highs are lower and temps over 35C seem to be less frequent. From what I understand, our average lows would be considered "cold" during a New England summer.
Yes, I think our summers area a bit better. Mid May to late September even. But I'd find it better mostly for the less variabilty (consistent highs in the uppper 20s) and don't really like extreme heat, though yes the average and thunderstorms are better. Our July/August lows average around 15°C, maybe 16°C midsummer. The more humid coastal areas get higher lows.

But that's only a third of the year. The rest of the year Melbourne is much better, though maybe somewhat cloudier. Slightly better summers aren't enough to make up for it. If you care more about interesting than mild temperatures perhaps Melbourne loses out but otherwise no.

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Ahh, well every time I have a pizza it is pretty much the same whether I'm in Italy, Spain or France.. very thin, not much tomato sauce as you say, and crispy. I like them like that though, so maybe it's just me.
Spanish food really is not the same. I'm sorry, i've been to Spain 7 times and seen a lot of it, also America 2 times so I think I would know. I've been in many supermarkets in Spain, Lidl, Aldi, Diaprix and then Target, Publix, Walmart and Windixi in America.

Definitely stock different food and brands. If you goto America you will see common brands that we have and are not seen in Spain, trust me if you visit you will notice straight away. At least in CVS and Walgreens, they even stock Boots branded make up NO7 as my mum was happy as she bought it.

I was even able to buy Robinsons juice in Walmart and we couldn't find that for love nor money in Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather