Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: From cold to heated building or hot to A/C building?
I like the feeling of a nicely heated building on a frigid day. 41 46.07%
I like the feeling of a nice A/C building on a hot day. 48 53.93%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Okay, everyone on here states their climate preferences, but many on here are doing it from your climate controlled homes. So, instead of asking if you like a hot or cold climate, let me ask this:

Do you prefer the feeling of cold A/C on you when you have been outside on a very hot day or the feeling of hot heat on you when you're really cold.

I would have to say that I really love the feeling of a nicely heated building on a cold day. If you're freezing, it feels so good to come into a really warm building to warm up. Nothing like putting your hands next to the warm radiator. The problem is that I never want to leave that building!!!

For the purposes of this exercise, let's assume the indoor temperature is 72 degrees and the scenario is:

105 and humid heat into 72 degrees A/C building
-25 and windy into 72 degrees heated building
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Okay, everyone on here states their climate preferences, but many on here are doing it from your climate controlled homes. So, instead of asking if you like a hot or cold climate, let me ask this:

Do you prefer the feeling of cold A/C on you when you have been outside on a very hot day or the feeling of hot heat on you when you're really cold.

I would have to say that I really love the feeling of a nicely heated building on a cold day. If you're freezing, it feels so good to come into a really warm building to warm up. Nothing like putting your hands next to the warm radiator. The problem is that I never want to leave that building!!!

For the purposes of this exercise, let's assume the indoor temperature is 72 degrees and the scenario is:

105 and humid heat into 72 degrees A/C building
-25 and windy into 72 degrees heated building
I have never experienced -25F before, but most definitely I would choose the cold option walking into a heated room.

I don't like A/C as much, as after a while I start to feel cold.. it's a reason why I hate walking into supermarkets in summer

Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Walking into a hot room from the cold, by far.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Well, since I'm in Australia I guess the second option would feel relieving to me.

I've always felt euphoric when walking into an airconditioned room on a hot day. I don't think I've pretty much 'felt' a big difference with the former (going in a warm room on cold day).

Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
I love the feeling going from hot sun into a chilled AC room! People on the forum have made fun of me for it, but I really think it's an enjoyable contrast.

Cold to warm is bad because I have to keep altering my wardrobe and waiting for my body to adjust. And also it will make the air really dry. It is nice to be wearing just shorts to begin with and then achieve instant comfort in a room temperature environment.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I love the feeling going from hot sun into a chilled AC room! People on the forum have made fun of me for it, but I really think it's an enjoyable contrast.

Cold to warm is bad because I have to keep altering my wardrobe and waiting for my body to adjust. And also it will make the air really dry. It is nice to be wearing just shorts to begin with and then achieve instant comfort in a room temperature environment.
I understand what you mean, and I enjoy that contrast as well (from hot sun into cold A/C). However, if you are chilled to the bone, nothing beats the feeling of heat. I remember once I was in downtown Chicago in March, it was around 12 degrees, when I walked into the Art Museum, it was probably 75 degrees or so in there, it felt great!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
going into a heated room when it's cold room means I'm wearing lots of layers. It's a race to remove as many layers as I can before I start to sweat. If warm from exercising, an air conditioned room is nice on a hot day.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:50 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I understand what you mean, and I enjoy that contrast as well (from hot sun into cold A/C). However, if you are chilled to the bone, nothing beats the feeling of heat. I remember once I was in downtown Chicago in March, it was around 12 degrees, when I walked into the Art Museum, it was probably 75 degrees or so in there, it felt great!
Well anytime I'm wearing heavy coats I am miserable to begin with.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
going into a heated room when it's cold room means I'm wearing lots of layers. It's a race to remove as many layers as I can before I start to sweat. If warm from exercising, an air conditioned room is nice on a hot day.
That's why I said "when you're freezing". I mean when you're chilled to the bone. It happened to me in New Orleans this winter, it was in the mid 30's and rainy and we had to talk an unheated streetcar from the French Quarter to the Warehouse District. Then we went into the National World War II Museum and while we were waiting in line the heating vents were directed on me. It felt so great!

I love the first time in the fall when I turn on the heater. It feels so good! Fast forward a week or two and then my skin is dry and so that's why I can't live in a cold climate, but a few weeks when I can turn on the heater is nice. The South's climate with its rotation from cold to hot and humid and back is great for my skin. I still get to use that heater but the skin can moisten up between cold fronts

Old 10-29-2014, 08:08 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Walking from cold into a heated building is definitely better. The experience of walking into AC is miserable. If you've been outside in the heat/humidity for a while, there will certainly be sweat on your clothes. When they are cooled in AC, you start to shiver because the clothes feel like a cold, wet rag. They don't dry too quickly either, as the temperature is cooler and there is no sun to evaporate the sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather