Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:08 AM

808 posts, read 710,314 times

Advertisements

We had a thread on this previously, but it was from 2012 and has lay dormant for a very long time. So I invite you to make or post the temperatures, rainfall, and sunshine of your nightmares!

I have many different climates that I would consider nightmare climates because if it's not the type of weather I like, odds are I dislike it. I'll tease you with two right now, and more will come later. The first one is Sulfurdrip City, which is a very small village of about 200 people. It is always very hot in Sulfurdrip City, with average highs throughout the year exceeding 120°F (49°C) and summer lows often exceeding that as well. The all-time record low is 102°F (39°C) and the all-time record high is 150°F (66°C). Humidity is also extremely high, around 80% throughout the year. The average August dew point is a lethal 118°F (48°C), hence why residents stay inside their (albeit poorly) air conditioned homes all year.

It rains every day, but there are never decent forms. The rain falls in a near constant drizzle that darkens the sky to an eerie dark gray and amounts to just 0.08" (2 mm) per day. The sun has never made an appearance since the weather station opened in 1970, and no geological evidence suggests the sun has shone in this area.

Yuckyhot City, on the other hand, is a city of 200,000 that has arguably just as bad of a climate. Winter highs still average 120°F (49°C) and summer highs can be as high as 160°F (71°C). Temperatures below 80°F (27°C) have never been recorded, and temperatures below 90°F (32°C) are rare, even in the winter. The all-time record high was 210.7°F (99.3°C) on 12 August 1987.

In addition to the heat, the humidity can be unbearable and downright lethal as well. The average August dew point is a lethal 124°F (51°C), hence why residents stay inside their (albeit poorly) air conditioned homes all summer.

No clouds have blocked or obscured the sun in Yuckyhot City, let alone rain having fallen, since the weather station opened in 1970, and no geological evidence suggests it has rained in this area.

My actual full-blown nightmare climate will be posted in a few days, when I find the sheet of paper I have the data on.

Now it's your turn! It doesn't have to be realistic (mine aren't), just horrible!

(By the way, could someone please go to my ideal climate thread and figure out the average ideal climate? I'm too lazy to do it myself, so any help would be greatly appreciated.)
Attached Thumbnails
Second edition - Your Nightmare Climatic Averages-hot-humid-disgusting-nightmare-climate.png   Second edition - Your Nightmare Climatic Averages-hot-desert-nightmare-climate.png  

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 06-06-2016 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 06:24 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
This.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:27 AM

Default I'm surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
This.
Really? Wouldn't you find April-May and September-October to be rather pleasant?

I would have thought your nightmare climate would be either really hot or really cold year-round, or maybe really dry.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
Really? Wouldn't you find April-May and September-October to be rather pleasant?

I would have thought your nightmare climate would be either really hot or really cold year-round, or maybe really dry.
That's right, but I had trouble deciding. And, not really, I'd find those April and October comfortable if they were stable, but they are not, sooo...

Old 06-06-2016, 06:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
I tend to reserve the 'F' grade to unlivable climates like Mecca and Omyakon, but looking at the whole year, a monotonic cool climate is the worst. I don't need to create a climate box, as it exists in real life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerguelen_Islands#Climate

Old 06-06-2016, 07:25 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I tend to reserve the 'F' grade to unlivable climates like Mecca and Omyakon, but looking at the whole year, a monotonic cool climate is the worst. I don't need to create a climate box, as it exists in real life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerguelen_Islands#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%B3rshavn#Climate

Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 AM

Default Yuck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Both of those places have terrible climates - that's for sure! I'd give both of them solid "F" grades.

My least favourite real climate would be that of Vostok, however. They've never seen non-frigid temperatures and -89°C is the stuff of nightmares.

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 06-06-2016 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 06-06-2016, 08:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Kerguelen is worse, as it's below the treeline.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:01 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
Kerguelen is worse, as it's below the treeline.
trees aren't going to stop me from killing myself due to the abysmal weather

Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 AM

Default Rebuttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQKing View Post
OP - unrealistic and lame. Doesn't add any discussion value whatsoever. Useless AdriannaSpamming copy. Next...
We had a thread about this in 2012, and I thought I would bring it back. The AdriannaSmiling-like users are in fact not the kind of user I want to emulate, as they do not add anything to the forum. I just decided to bring back a thread on the climates of our nightmares, and I thought I'd add two of my own. Being unrealistically bad was the point.

Other users have posted real climates as their nightmare climates, and that's okay. I, on the other hand, would consider the two I posted to be true nightmares, as well as several other unrealistic fictional climates (which I have not posted yet).

Galaxyman, I suggest you look through the original thread and not flame people for trying to have some fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather