Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:53 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I just thought you liked warm winters considering you picked Portsmouth. Because in that case London is warmer every month of the year with the exact same sun. All three that I mentioned are around the mid 1600's, including London
wamre winters are found much further south west babu -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly

I was picking the BEST climates in UK considered by others generally - for me - maybe Portsmouth would win it with that extra sun ,Ipswich/Canterbury second . Sheltered Torquay third , London 4th

London around 1600 on average - Canterbury 1680 ,Ipswich 1700 - small differences though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 07:56 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
wamre winters are found much further south west babu -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly

I was picking the BEST climates in UK considered by others generally - for me - maybe Portsmouth would win it with that extra sun ,Ipswich/Canterbury second . Sheltered Torquay third , London 4th

London around 1600 on average - Canterbury 1680 ,Ipswich 1700 - small differences though
Lol, London 1640, Ipswich probably about the same, Colchester, probably about the same, Canterbury 1680.

Also, Torquay? What? I thought you liked dryness, sun, warm summers and cool winters..?

Old 07-29-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Lol, London 1640, Ipswich probably about the same, Colchester, probably about the same, Canterbury 1680.

Also, Torquay? What? I thought you liked dryness, sun, warm summers and cool winters..?
Babu - you reaslise London is inland correct ? then sun totals aren't that high further in - most 1700 found near the coast or within 10 miles of . London is around 1540 - 1640 .

small differences -but i was asked lol , and didn't want to turn this into another UK thread tbf .

I like mild and i like cold winters ,but not very wet winters like Glasgow etc
Torquay - fairly dry ,very mild in winter ,1750- 1800 sun sheltered ,feels pleasant - what's not to like ? Warm summers i like around 22- 26 (probably borderline )

Old 07-29-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Babu - you reaslise London is inland correct ? then sun totals aren't that high further in - most 1700 found near the coast or within 10 miles of . London is around 1540 - 1640 .

small differences -but i was asked lol , and didn't want to turn this into another UK thread tbf .

I like mild and i like cold winters ,but not very wet winters like Glasgow etc
Torquay - fairly dry ,very mild in winter ,1750- 1800 sun sheltered ,feels pleasant - what's not to like ? Warm summers i like around 22- 26 (probably borderline )
Heathrow gets 1640h, and is far away from the coast. I have no idea why you're bringing up the coast. In fact, you're kind of digging your own grave by using Levington's sunshine stats as if they were Ipswich. Also, that means that London probably gets 1700h in the more coastal suburbs. Also, where are you getting your Torquay stats from? Plymouth gets more than 1000mm of rainfall, which is concentrated in the winter, and Exeter gets 800mm, also concentrated in the winters. Plymouth gets 1730h, and Exeter just 1510h (so exmouth perhaps 1600h). So what are we looking at? A climate with 9/4 winters, 20/13 summers, and twice the winter precipitation with only perhaps 5% more sunshine beats London with 8/2 winters and 23.5/14 summers and half the winter precipitation. I.e. better in EVERY WAY, significantly so, just because it has about 5% less sunshine. I see now why the others keep calling you a troll.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Heathrow gets 1640h, and is far away from the coast. I have no idea why you're bringing up the coast. In fact, you're kind of digging your own grave by using Levington's sunshine stats as if they were Ipswich. Also, that means that London probably gets 1700h in the more coastal suburbs. Also, where are you getting your Torquay stats from? Plymouth gets more than 1000mm of rainfall, which is concentrated in the winter, and Exeter gets 800mm, also concentrated in the winters. Plymouth gets 1730h, and Exeter just 1510h (so exmouth perhaps 1600h). So what are we looking at? A climate with 9/4 winters, 20/13 summers, and twice the winter precipitation with only perhaps 5% more sunshine beats London with 8/2 winters and 23.5/14 summers and half the winter precipitation. I.e. better in EVERY WAY, significantly so, just because it has about 5% less sunshine. I see now why the others keep calling you a troll.
I would dispute that Heathrow reading fwiw - it doesn't make sense to me . Levington and Ipsw get the same , Stowmarket well inland gets a decent total ,but that weather feature doesn't apply further south . Sun hours thin out dramatically in the south of england. Compare also Torquay with Exeter /Newton Abbot.

London doesn't have 'more coastal suburbs' it's well inland . I assume you mean somewhere like - Stanford Le Hope - still lacks on sunshine vs Southend on the coast.

Plymouth is nothing like Torquay- Plymouth is a horrible climate . Look at Teignmouth .

You have to live somewhere to experience and i spent many a winter in Torquay - it always felt nice on sunny days in winter - quite warm in fact - 10c always felt more like 14c . While i looked at weather reports and saw -2 in Vienna ,6c in Paris and London and -8 in Helsinki while drinking my coffee in the afternoon sun by the harbourside , i knew i was onto a winner

Old 07-29-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I would dispute that Heathrow reading fwiw - it doesn't make sense to me . Levington and Ipsw get the same , Stowmarket well inland gets a decent total ,but that weather feature doesn't apply further south . Sun hours thin out dramatically in the south of england. Compare also Torquay with Exeter /Newton Abbot.

London doesn't have 'more coastal suburbs' it's well inland . I assume you mean somewhere like - Stanford Le Hope - still lacks on sunshine vs Southend on the coast.

Plymouth is nothing like Torquay- Plymouth is a horrible climate . Look at Teignmouth .

You have to live somewhere to experience and i spent many a winter in Torquay - it always felt nice on sunny days in winter - quite warm in fact - 10c always felt more like 14c . While i looked at weather reports and saw -2 in Vienna ,6c in Paris and London and -8 in Helsinki while drinking my coffee in the afternoon sun by the harbourside , i knew i was onto a winner
Are you really that thick that you'll argue that most parts of London are in the 1500's because they're more inland, but at the same time argue that Levington and Ipswich are the same when one is half the distance to the ocean?

And are you ever going to decide whether you prefer cold or warm winters? A degree warmer than London, oh that's much better, a degree colder than London, oh that's also much better.

Then you start bringing personal anecdotes onto the table? Okay, I'm literally done trying to reason with this anti-London brick.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Are you really that thick that you'll argue that most parts of London are in the 1500's because they're more inland, but at the same time argue that Levington and Ipswich are the same when one is half the distance to the ocean?

And are you ever going to decide whether you prefer cold or warm winters? A degree warmer than London, oh that's much better, a degree colder than London, oh that's also much better.

Then you start bringing personal anecdotes onto the table? Okay, I'm literally done trying to reason with this anti-London brick.
London climate is fine in my books Babu - theyre all pretty much the same lets be fair - but in London the tall buidlings do block out sun in the winter esp - and sometimes creates a wind tunnel effect - but outer London is probably better - never lived in London so can't comment.

The sun effect of the Orwell/Stour estuary and beyond is well known - even look at places such as Scole and Cavendish 30 miles in holding up so far inland - what causes it i don't know .

Heathrow btw is miles inland 40 to 50 in fact

i prefer coldish sunny winters or very mild sunny winters - not wet and cold , so no UK winter is going to be great in my books ,but i can live with it - it's mainly dry at least - 8c and cloudy with a slightly damp feel

Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Favorite: Chiclayo

Least favorite: Puno or Juliaca

Old 07-29-2017, 08:51 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,531 times
Best:
Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Alliance, Nebraska
Billings, Montana
Roundup, Montana
Wheatland, Wyoming
Torrington, Wyoming
Fort Laramie, Wyoming

Worst: Southeast Alaska

Last edited by Steelernation71; 07-29-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 PM

7,216 posts, read 3,089,777 times
Favorite - Požega
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Požega_(Serbie)#Climat

Least favorite - Belgrade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather