Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,590,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
That's perfectly understandable. Except, it's just that I always thought dewpoint forms when the temperature MEETS the dewpoint temperature. Whereas, in this case, you'd see dew on the ground at a RH of 70%. Remember, there is no trace of rain. I see this 'phenomena' happening after a clear day.
That's what I thought, too. Are you sure the relative humidity wasn't 100% or very close to it at some point overnight. Just because the temperature and dewpoint are far apart late in the evening doesn't mean they will be at sunrise.

The other difference is as said, the ground cools faster than where air temperature is recorded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 11:18 AM

13,500 posts, read 9,052,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
^^^ A scientist at the local weather station, told me that the 1mm rain day level, was used to prevent dew measuring as a rain day -makes one wonder how rain day stats from 0.1 mm countries,can be taken seriously.

A light dew here this morning, even though it's 15C and 80% RH -must have been cooler during the night.
I don't know if they use it to count as a rain day, but the dew totals are certainly added to the monthly totals here. I just added up the dew from December at Luqa & it adds up to 3.0mm...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's what I thought, too. Are you sure the relative humidity wasn't 100% or very close to it at some point overnight. Just because the temperature and dewpoint are far apart late in the evening doesn't mean they will be at sunrise.

The other difference is as said, the ground cools faster than where air temperature is recorded.
And this is of course what causes a "ground frost" in cooler climates where frost is visible on surfaces despite the air temperature not dropping to 0C/32F...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,735,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
And this is of course what causes a "ground frost" in cooler climates where frost is visible on surfaces despite the air temperature not dropping to 0C/32F...
Isn't that the same in any climate that gets frost?

My climate gets 3x as many ground frosts as air frosts.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Yes, why wouldn't it be?

Though of course in colder winter climates like most ground frosts involve the air temperature also going below freezing

Old 01-10-2016, 11:32 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,735,038 times
Quote:
Yes, why wouldn't it be?

Though of course in colder winter climates like most ground frosts involve the air temperature also going below freezing
Wasn't sure what you meant by cooler climates - but I guess you mean as opposed to cold climates.

Colder climates would still have many nights with ground frost, but not air frost. I would have thought?

Old 01-10-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:

My climate gets 3x as many ground frosts as air frosts.
Yes obviously, but it was aimed at cooler, rather than cold, climates that may only get ground frosts & no air frosts. Some people don't understand how there can be a visible frost on grass, cars, roofs etc.. when the temperature didn't drop below 0C...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Colder climates would still have many nights with ground frost, but not air frost. I would have thought?
Nowhere as many as having both. You'd need to have nightly lows frequently in the 32-36°F range to get a frost but no freeze. Not all lows in the 32-36°F range creates frost on the ground — if its cloudy or windy, or the dewpoint is just above freezing, no frost. For my location, I get about 150 nights 32°F or below, 180 36°F or below.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,993,687 times
Quote:

Yes, very sure. Because I have always checked the current weather just after noticing the dew on the grass. The relative humidity has always been around 75-80%.

And it happened last night (after a hot 30C day). It was 12am. The temperature was 19C. The relative humidity was 75%. The grass was very wet. I'm guessing the ground temperature was much cooler (as what many people are saying here)?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,937,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

And it happened last night (after a hot 30C day). It was 12am. The temperature was 19C. The relative humidity was 75%. The grass was very wet. I'm guessing the ground temperature was much cooler (as what many people are saying here)?
I've recorded grass frost in every month of the year here in Saskatoon, in most years. This past year, there was solid ice on my car windshield on the 22nd of August; a thermometer placed on the windshield indicated -1 C (30 F). Metal surfaces cool off rapidly just like grass does. The official low that morning was +2 degrees C (36 degrees F).

Air frosts on the other hand are rare in June and August, and virtually unheard of in July.

The most crazy difference that I observed in the last year was a -14 C (7 degrees F) ground temperature sometime in October when the official air temperature was only -6 C (21 F).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather