Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times

Advertisements

People often misunderstand that. It's not like it is warm during the day and suddenly very cool after sunset. It takes a few hours to cool down especially in places away from water. Southern Oregon has hot summers including the majority of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:16 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
I imagine the Williamatte valley traps heat in?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:06 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
People often misunderstand that. It's not like it is warm during the day and suddenly very cool after sunset. It takes a few hours to cool down especially in places away from water. Southern Oregon has hot summers including the majority of the night.
do you have any weather stations that reflect this ? serious / curious question.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
what do you mean? The lowest temperatures are recorded at 4-5 in the morning usually. So the absolute low is not that important most of the time. Most people sleep during that time.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
what do you mean? The lowest temperatures are recorded at 4-5 in the morning usually. So the absolute low is not that important most of the time. Most people sleep during that time.
what i mean is that a 12c average low means it cannot be 25c at midnight after a 30c afternoon. I was wondering if there were areas with higher average lows than that, say, around 15-18c.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:

Lol. Your nights are cool to cold in summer. I was in Palm Springs in late November. Every day 90F and every night around 63F. I went out every night till the wee hours. When I came home at 2am I was pretty darn chilly with a t shirt on. After that we all took jackets with us.

Every single person with me on that trip from Philly said the exact same thing. 68F here at 2am, which btw is usually our morning low in August at like 5 or 6am, feels much much warmer. Our dewpoints are high at night and you feel soooo much warmer than I did in Palm Springs. Don't get me wrong, the days were amazingly warm. I just do not like cool dry summer nights.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
You do not need a jacket here at night in summer. It does get cool at night but not jacket weather imo. Like ~50s and low ~60s usually.

Total jacket weather. Our summer nights drop down to an ultimate low of 68-70F with humidity or higher dewpoints. Feels much warmer. I was in Palm Springs in Nov and felt what your summer nights would feel like. I was in Arcata CA one year in Sept and I felt these supposed warm summer nights. They ain't warm by our summer night standards by a long shot.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:

the low in Seattle is 15F lower than our nights in summer. Cold.

Do your beaches look like this in summer with that water you have and those cold nights. Here and at the beaches you need nothing at night but a t shirt and shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmx_ipwKm2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfuInxZ-PGU

Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 PM

maybe you guys have different meanings for the word "jacket".

Here we only need a light fleece during a few nights during july / august, after 2am, in a park without moving. Some summers are colder and this issue is more prevalent, but overall it is rather uncommon to need it between mid june and early september. I suppose a place with a 12c average low would require it more often, like a Belgian summer would.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:00 PM

855 posts, read 772,154 times
I don't think anyone in the Pacific Northwest or west coast wears a "jacket" at all in the summer. You're more likely to see people in light hooded sweaters in the evening and at night. Or they just adjust to the cooler temps and don't feel uncomfortable in the 60s and 50s (as is the case with me - I hate wearing extra layers unless it's under the 50s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather