Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

BTW, my dad said Somerville (KSMQ) saw a temp of 1 F at 7 AM. Did it drop below 0 F at night ? Can someone confirm. Different sources saying different low temps.

The pipes burst back home .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
BTW, my dad said Somerville (KSMQ) saw a temp of 1 F at 7 AM. Did it drop below 0 F at night ? Can someone confirm. Different sources saying different low temps.

The pipes burst back home .
Unfortunately no, it held steady. Use this site.
February 2015 Arctic Blasts, Coldest Air of Season-ksmq_obs_20150216_21z.png

Old 02-16-2015, 02:53 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Had to take a quick trip to Delaware. Unbelievable how much of the Delaware River is frozen right now. Crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, there were considerable chucks of ice throughout the river, with perhaps a quarter of the entire river on the NJ side apparently completely frozen over. I got a pretty good look at it from the far right lane of the bridge driving back to NJ.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Ithaca New York's tourism website suggests visiting Key West:

Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County

Old 02-16-2015, 03:39 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Had to take a quick trip to Delaware. Unbelievable how much of the Delaware River is frozen right now. Crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, there were considerable chucks of ice throughout the river, with perhaps a quarter of the entire river on the NJ side apparently completely frozen over. I got a pretty good look at it from the far right lane of the bridge driving back to NJ.
Yeah.. here too. Feels like we reversed the Calendar like Superman reversed the spin of the Earth. Feels and looks like we entered January. March in 2 weeks?

2nd longest streak of snowpack 10" or more at the CT coast .

At this point it feels like its pointless posting my usual temp maps. It's just cold everyday and non stop. I'll just wait for the Average result in a week or something,. January 25th was last time we were above normal

Here's the current temp departures.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin34 View Post
Knoxville TN reached 24 below on 21 Jan 1985. Does that disqualify it from being a Cfa?
I'm not sure that Knoxville has a climate that is that similar to Dunkirk, NY, though. Officially, the low there this morning was -28F. The absolute lowest temperatures recorded each year over a period of time impact the overall climate of the area, crops grown, tree types, etc. The orchard belt downwind of Lake Erie just does not ever see low temperatures colder than -25F that close to the lake so it would make me question the hardiness of the viticulture (grape vines) that exist in that local area.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-16-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah.. here too. Feels like we reversed the Calendar like Superman reversed the spin of the Earth. Feels and looks like we entered January. March in 2 weeks?

At this point it feels like its pointless posting my usual temp maps. It's just cold everyday and non stop. I'll just wait for the Average result in a week or something,. January 25th was last time we were above normal

Western US has also been above average since Winter began. Salt Lake City has had a streak of 40+ days of above average temperatures, I saw it on a facebook feed today.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:19 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:

Big departures from normal today for sure...

Burlington, Ontario smashed record low for the day, 23C (old record a mild -14.5C)
Bancroft at 31.7C also set new a record low for the day (Bancroft is located between Toronto and Ottawa
at a high elevation for Ontario).

Old 02-17-2015, 05:49 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Big departures from normal today for sure...

Burlington, Ontario smashed record low for the day, 23C (old record a mild -14.5C)
Bancroft at 31.7C also set new a record low for the day (Bancroft is located between Toronto and Ottawa
at a high elevation for Ontario).
You guys must be feeling it too there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Western US has also been above average since Winter began. Salt Lake City has had a streak of 40+ days of above average temperatures, I saw it on a facebook feed today.
Makes the warm PDO talk even more interesting huh. So far since I started noticing, winter are brutal in the East when the PDO spikes warm. I haven't checked this months data yet or the average for winter.
Warm PDO = Ridge in West.

-----------------------------------------

Current temps/Radar/SLP.

Cold temps this morning. 10-30 below normal.. Notice the 850mb temps over the center of the storm off the coast. 6C (40sF). meanwhile Arctic air in place with pinks and blues.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:59 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
You guys must be feeling it too there.

Makes the warm PDO talk even more interesting huh. So far since I started noticing, winter are brutal in the East when the PDO spikes warm. I haven't checked this months data yet or the average for winter.
Warm PDO = Ridge in West.

-----------------------------------------

Current temps/Radar/SLP.

Cold temps this morning. 10-30 below normal.. Notice the 850mb temps over the center of the storm off the coast. 6C (40sF). meanwhile Arctic air in place with pinks and blues.
So what's the snow water equivalence right now ? I imagine it's very low, given the temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather