Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times

Advertisements

Average AC-ed room in Pekanbaru (90/74 weather +/- 2) ranges from like low 60s (16-17C) to mid 70s (24-25C). My classroom is kept between 20-24 C. My bedroom kept around the same temp.
I've read dhdh's post when he was in Singapore. the AC there was set at like 18C/64F
And ColdCanadian also said that he dislike the cold AC setting in Florida.

And when I read the room temperature thread, in summer, most of the AC-ed. room is around 70s f. even there're posters who set it at >25/77f warmer than a handful of AC-ed rooms here.

Is it true that a warm climate places tends to have the very Cool AC setting?
My question is for other warm/hot climate posters. Come on deep US southerners, SE Asians, Northern Aussies!!!
Warm/hot climate posters with AC in your room, at what temp you set your AC?

(I actually like it. 600-ish thousand rupiah or $50 / month, thats with 2 AC (set at 18/64 and 21/70) running almost overnight, for the electric bill. And I can enjoy comfy cool room. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
The pattern I notice is that more humid places tend to set A/C lower than hot, dry places. I remember in interior California I noticed they tended not to set the A/C that cold compared to the east coast. The usual American setting in public buildings is 72°F (22°C) but home settings vary on personal tastes and frugalness. This study found office temperatures for comfort in Thailand is warmer than the US, a setting of 26°C and higher was to office workers:

https://books.google.com/books?id=fx...ailand&f=false

There was a thread on A/C settings by posters but it got hijacked into a necessity of air conditioning debate:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...p-central.html

a survey found in the US those in cooler state don't heat as much as those from warmer states. Vermont and Maine had the coolest setting of the states surveyed. Can't find any stats on A/C setting variation by state; for Vermont and Maine, the results could skewed because over half the residents don't have A/C. The ones that do probably care more about cool indoor temperatures than the average person.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:47 AM

So humidity depends as well. Here, it's almost never for the ambient room temp to down to what set on the AC. Maybe humidity plays role?

But In Japan (very humid and hot Tokyo August) summer, I've read that they have a save energy goal "set your ac at 28C, 82F"??? When its like low-mid 30s C (low 90s F) outside in the afternoon with around 80f dewpoint, 82 is pretty comfy.

(Out of topic : Nei, I've read from your posts that you don't have AC, how do you cope during extreme heatwaves when it can get to triple digits?)

Last edited by divisionbyzero0; 03-01-2015 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1138769 View Post
So humidity depends as well. Here, it's almost never for the ambient room temp to down to what set on the AC.
The A/C is incapable of cooling down to the thermostat setting? I think most people are reporting the actual temperature it reaches inside.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
But In Japan (very humid and hot Tokyo August) summer, I've read that they have a save energy goal "set your ac at 28C, 82F"??? When its like low-mid 30s C (low 90s F) outside in the afternoon with around 80f dewpoint, 82 is pretty comfy.
That's why surprised people don't have warm indoor temperatures where you are, though not as extreme as 82°F

Quote:
(Out of topic : Nei, I've read from your posts that you don't have AC, how do you cope during extreme heatwaves when it can get to triple digits?)
Triple digits are rare, if they've happened at all in the last few years, it's only briefly for a few hours in the afternoon. Nights are much cooler. On hot days I blasted the fan with all windows open. Makes for uncomfortable sleeping weather, but not that many days. I get used to sleeping warmer as the summer goes on, too. Plus I like having fresh air inside when possible.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:15 AM

^^ Dunno what happens. But maybe its only for my room. My parents room with inverter AC set at higher temp (21/70, mines 18/64) and feels cooler. Car as well, set at 21/70 and feels like the same. So my parents room and car can get the desired temp.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Average AC-ed room in Pekanbaru (90/74 weather +/- 2) ranges from like low 60s (16-17C) to mid 70s (24-25C). My classroom is kept between 20-24 C. My bedroom kept around the same temp.
Btw, when an A/C mechanic came to fix my parent's air conditioning, they told my parents that his fix couldn't cool below 20°C or maybe even 21°C. He said: if you want colder move to Alaska.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 PM

If someone want colder air then tell he/she to just sit around the vent, it blows air much colder than the set temp. When my class AC set at 18C and I sat just under blowing air the air blowed fridge like air. I guess the temp of the air coming out of the vent was around freezing.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 AM

seems that the opposite is true : colder winters, hotter indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I think this may be true. Some of the places in Alaska I've visited felt like saunas lol

It seems like such a waste.

People around here crank the heat...despite the fact our winters are relatively mild compared to most of the rest of the country

Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
seems that the opposite is true : colder winters, hotter indoors
No, may be the opposite. Part of it is heating costs a lot in cold climates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
this webpage shows northerners tend to set their heat colder than southerners. With Vermonters setting it to the coolest setting, living up to their thrifty reputation:

Does Living in a Colder Climate Make You Warmer on the Inside?

Interesting to what the difference with A/C would be. I suspect it would be smaller, as in the south some set the A/C to rather cold levels (< 68°F) to extinguish any feeling of heat while others who get used to the summer heat set it at rather warm level (close to 80°F). In Vermont, the latter type wouldn't use or probably have A/C (and central A/C ownership is probably lower than the New England average, maybe around 10%).

My aunt moved to a custom-built home in upstate NY and didn't add central A/C nor does she have a room A/C. Lives at 1400 feet, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather