Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:05 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times

Advertisements

I have created four fictional climates on here (each had their own thread for rating them individually). I'd like to see how they hold up against each other so please rank them in order of from your most to least favorite and then rate them on an A-F scale

A) My World is how I'd upgrade L.A's climate: similar temperature patterns and nearly 3 times as much rain without sacrificing sunshine. The winters are mostly sunny days with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s with one storm coming every 3-6 days. The moderate on and off rain lasts about 6-18 hours before going back to its usual sunny self. The summer rain all comes in brief thundery downpours about once a week and only lasts a couple of hours most of the time; maybe twice a week in later summer. Like the real L.A, it gets days the triple digits every summer but it's a dry heat but it's mostly known for it's comfortable temperatures year round. Winters are good for jogging and bike riding. Summers are good for the beach and swimming. You can play sports like tennis, softball, and soccer year round. Like many inland suburbs, it does usually get one or two overnight frosts a year so it is not totally frostproof; however, on those frosty mornings, the days warm up to about 60 F.

B) Sunshine-Convection Island is a fictional climate located at 30 N in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It features over 75 percent of possible sunshine in every month, warm summers and mild winters with little standard deviation. Humidity is moderate throughout the year. Although it gets over 270 days with measurable rain per year, the rain is usually in short-lived 10-30 minute thunderstorms that drop between 1-5 mm of rain for the day and that's it; those days are usually still classified as mostly sunny or party cloudy. No heating or AC is needed here. It is also completely frostproof and doesn't get those dry heat waves in the triplet digits that the above climate does. It's maybe what a sea level port in Hawaii would be like if it was located further north and got thunderstorms with their showers.

C) Subtropical Paradise is a slightly warmer version of San Diego (on the immediate coast) with much more rain and thunderstorms the real San Diego. It has only recorded 3 frosts in recoded history so it's pretty close to frostproof but not quite; most winters see an absolute minimum of 40 F. It's pretty sunny most of the year but it gets both a few cold and warm fronts a month and about half the time it is accompanied by some form of thunderstorm. Summer nights are still cool enough to sleep without AC due to moderate ocean breezes and rarity of extreme heat. Both spring and fall are drier than summer and winter but not enough of a difference to call it a marked dry season. It won't have sudden pop-up thunderstorms out of a clear blue sky but more like predictable fronts which makes you know ahead of time which days will be in the clear and which are likely to rain on your picnic.

D) Somewhere Hot is based on Dubai or Kuwait City's summer temperatures with the occassional monsoonal moisture that Phoenix gets in July and August (doesn't amount to much but usually a couple of short lived thunderstorms a month) and equatorial temperatures in winter with the same precipitation pattern of 2-3 brief thunderstorms each month. It holds the record for the sunniest and hottest place on earth.

Please rank and rate away!

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 04-02-2015 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 PM

680 posts, read 649,356 times
My World: B-/C+ (This is easily the best of the choices)
Subtropical Paradise: C
Sunshine Convection: C-
Somewhere HOT: F-

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
My World: A
Subtropical Paradise: A
Sunshine-Convection Island: A
Somewhere Hot: F

Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM

824 posts, read 688,983 times
1. My World (C) (A bit warm, and the records are a bit nasty, but otherwise decent)
2. Subtropical Paradise (C-) (Too warm and humid, not my idea of a paradise necessarily, also no winter)
3. Sunshine-Convection Island (D-) (RAIN, so much rain)
4. Somewhere HOT (Z-) (Calm down Satan)

Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
They're all F+. Still better than tropical.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
They're all F+. Still better than tropical.
You rate the last one better than somewhere tropical?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:12 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
My world: B-
Subtropical paradise:C+
Sunshine Convection:C-
Somewhere Hot:F+

Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Subtropical Paradise: A- (near perfect, just would prefer cooler summer nights)

My World: B- (summers may be too hot, but a fairly pleasant overall)

Sunshine-Convection Island: D- (ruined MASSIVELY by the amount of rainy days, otherwise it would've been a B climate as well)

Somewhere Hot: E+ (no thank you, good for desert tourism though)

Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I have created four fictional climates on here (each had their own thread for rating them individually). I'd like to see how they hold up against each other so please rank them in order of from your most to least favorite and then rate them on an A-F scale

A) My World is how I'd upgrade L.A's climate: similar temperature patterns and nearly 3 times as much rain without sacrificing sunshine. The winters are mostly sunny days with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s with one storm coming every 3-6 days. The moderate on and off rain lasts about 6-18 hours before going back to its usual sunny self. The summer rain all comes in brief thundery downpours about once a week and only lasts a couple of hours most of the time; maybe twice a week in later summer. Like the real L.A, it gets days the triple digits every summer but it's a dry heat but it's mostly known for it's comfortable temperatures year round. Winters are good for jogging and bike riding. Summers are good for the beach and swimming. You can play sports like tennis, softball, and soccer year round. Like many inland suburbs, it does usually get one or two overnight frosts a year so it is not totally frostproof; however, on those frosty mornings, the days warm up to about 60 F.

B) Sunshine-Convection Island is a fictional climate located at 30 N in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It features over 75 percent of possible sunshine in every month, warm summers and mild winters with little standard deviation. Humidity is moderate throughout the year. Although it gets over 270 days with measurable rain per year, the rain is usually in short-lived 10-30 minute thunderstorms that drop between 1-5 mm of rain for the day and that's it; those days are usually still classified as mostly sunny or party cloudy. No heating or AC is needed here. It is also completely frostproof and doesn't get those dry heat waves in the triplet digits that the above climate does. It's maybe what a sea level port in Hawaii would be like if it was located further north and got thunderstorms with their showers.

C) Subtropical Paradise is a slightly warmer version of San Diego (on the immediate coast) with much more rain and thunderstorms the real San Diego. It has only recorded 3 frosts in recoded history so it's pretty close to frostproof but not quite; most winters see an absolute minimum of 40 F. It's pretty sunny most of the year but it gets both a few cold and warm fronts a month and about half the time it is accompanied by some form of thunderstorm. Summer nights are still cool enough to sleep without AC due to moderate ocean breezes and rarity of extreme heat. Both spring and fall are drier than summer and winter but not enough of a difference to call it a marked dry season. It won't have sudden pop-up thunderstorms out of a clear blue sky but more like predictable fronts which makes you know ahead of time which days will be in the clear and which are likely to rain on your picnic.

D) Somewhere Hot is based on Dubai or Kuwait City's summer temperatures with the occassional monsoonal moisture that Phoenix gets in July and August (doesn't amount to much but usually a couple of short lived thunderstorms a month) and equatorial temperatures in winter with the same precipitation pattern of 2-3 brief thunderstorms each month. It holds the record for the sunniest and hottest place on earth.

Please rank and rate away!

Sunshine Convection Island: B+
Subtropical Paradise: B
My World: B
Somewhere Hot: B- (would have been an A if the summers weren't so hot)

Old 04-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Sunshine Convection Island: B+
Subtropical Paradise: B
My World: B
Somewhere Hot: B- (would have been an A if the summers weren't so hot)
The "extreme" heat is the whole point of that climate; you have to put up with "extreme" heat in summer to get "normal" summer heat in "winter" without the risk of cold snaps. There is also no relief of cool nights like we get here in L.A. during heat waves (when parts of the L.A. basin get into the 110s the nightime lows are still in the upper 60s to low 70s). Contrary to what L.A-Mex may claim, lows do matter just as much as highs when looking at hot climates because it will give you a good clue to the humidity and heat index level and what percentage of the day will have temperatures close to the high. Palm Springs has much more comfortable summers than Kuwait City or Dubai (which, despite not getting any summer rain, are far more humid than the Mojave Desert due to the warm waters of the Persian Gulf). "Somewhere Hot" would probably have dewpoints more comparable to the Persian Gulf than the Desert Southwest of the U.S.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 04-04-2015 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather