Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 10:22 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,745,880 times

Advertisements

In preperation for a 28 mile trek on a VERY remote beach in the far, far Bahamas next year!!, I am carefully calculating H2O consumption over a certain time periods based on different temp/DP combos.

So I am wondering……all other things being equal, is the heat index number the most accurate figure to determine how much water I will need to drink?

In other words, would I need the same amount of H2O with a temp of 84 and a DP of 74 as I would with a temp of 90 with a DP of 60??

Both of these T/DP combos give me the same heat index number.

Again, lets assume all else is equal, such as sun angle, diet, heart rate, etc, etc.

Any info about this would be VERY helpful!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 11:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,464,375 times
It might be a productive use of your time to go out on long hikes in hot weather and record how much water you consume at different values of temps and dew points.

This way, you will become familiar with your water consumption rates, and no surprises will arise when you go on that super-long trek.

BTW, I think you'd need way more water at 84/74 than you'd need at 90/60. I just speak from personal experience of going on three-to-five-mile runs during our humid summers. Heat Index generally won't give you all the information you'll need. Be very cautious of 70+ dew points if you're gonna be active for that long (that's when you'll need a lot of water, as the body sweats rapidly in such humidity).

Last edited by Shalop; 07-11-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 12:09 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,662,941 times
i agree with shalop, dewpoint is a great factor

Old 07-12-2015, 01:51 AM

83,556 posts, read 75,454,544 times
It's an interesting question.

When dewpoints are high your body overheats because the sweat doesnt evaporate as fast but if dews are low with hotter temps you might might need more water to replenish whats evaporating.

I think your consumption is based on the physical workout more then the weather itself? How does your body react to temps..how does it react to dews? Me? I sweat a lot more with higher dews so I need to replenish more.

Maybe you don't need more water with low dews and hotter temps because your body can cool down naturally by the sweat evaporating better.

Or maybe you need the same H2O amount at both examples. I wouldn't use heat index because there won't be a heat index # with a temp of 95 and DP of 40 yet you might be sweating more and need more water cause its hot and dry.

Cool question.

Good luck with the crazy hike and I'm curious how much you drank now. Lol

Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,464,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Heat Index generally won't give you all the information you'll need.
One more thing:

You should always remember that the Heat Index is just a contrived value that doesn't really mean very much, whereas the air temperature and dew point are intrinsic properties of the air and are therefore more important values to pay attention to.

Last edited by Shalop; 07-12-2015 at 02:14 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 04:39 AM

When I hiked Algonquin (2nd tallest in NY) in August, I went through 2 16oz bottles plus Gatorade and it wasn't enough. Temps & DPs started in the 50s then DPs rose to 60s, temps to 70s. 8hrs of hiking.

Also factor in what you ate the night before as well.

Also.. there's a general rule that you should be drinking every 20 minutes or something like that.

I wonder if we ate a whole watermelon right before a hike if that would help. lol

If you're doing 28 miles in the tropics in summer, without any place around to get drinks, I suggest you pack heavy with a ton of liquid

Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 AM

Just went for a 4 mile run. Noticed I needed more water then previous runs. Dew point is higher this morning. Most likely related. Plus little sleep & little food yesterday might have contributed to the thirst. Drank 17 ounce bottle of water after I was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather