Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 09:57 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
My experiences with snow have mostly been at home, at my doorstep. Snow creates a good ambiance at home. You get to see your surroundings change and look totally different under accumulated snow. It's not quite the same as having to travel to see it. I want it to be around all the time certain parts of the year.

These days I'm yearning for even more snow, though, and traveling for more of it, like most Australians would have to do. So I've gotten into driving a hundred miles for a day trip to the mountains to hike in it, where it snows more often, and the snowpack remains much more stable than here.
You're lucky in the sense that you reliably get snow every winter. I wonder what would happen to Melbourne if we got a substantial snowfall, everyone would go nuts...

I haven't been to the Alps in ages though, I'm around 3 hours from them so it's not too much of a trip.

btw it's still 0.9°C because of the ****ing wind, I hope it ****s off soon

Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
You're lucky in the sense that you reliably get snow every winter. I wonder what would happen to Melbourne if we got a substantial snowfall, everyone would go nuts...

I haven't been to the Alps in ages though, I'm around 3 hours from them so it's not too much of a trip.

I do consider myself to be lucky in the sense that it could be far worse. I sometimes wonder what I would think of snow if I never got to experience it, or if I'd only experienced it a few times in my life. My whole "ideal climate" thing may not include snow, but my ideal geography may include proximity to mountains with snow. It's hard to say your ideal climate would be extremely snowy when you haven't experienced snow.

I'd almost certainly still like cooler weather, of course. There may be some members here who are potential snow-lovers who have never really experienced snow, so their desires for snow may come up only as weak, anomalous events in their ideal climate. My approach, however, is I want as much of a good thing (snow) as I can get (without being absurd).

Old 07-18-2015, 11:03 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Winds is Scotland making the British Open unplayable... really hope this doesn't end up pushing this back to a Monday finish.
They should hold it at Wentworth and then the weather would never be an issue.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:17 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Quote:
1°C sounds nice eight now. If I lived there, I'd probably get incredibly frustrated, though, with it refusing to snow.
What about -1 C/30 F and freezing rain? It could be worse.

Quote:
Yeah, that's a major drawback. My mum's seen snow twice, both times before I was born. The -1°C forecast tonight has only been achieved once since I've been born. You can probably see why I'm so excited for this lol.

It even snowed in SE Queensland for ****s sake (at 750m). That's a kick in the groin if I've ever seen one.
At least you have some scenic mountains nearby. I have to drive a good 5 hours to get to the southern Appalachians.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I wonder what would happen to Melbourne if we got a substantial snowfall, everyone would go nuts...

Similar things happen in the southern US. Atlanta, for example, cannot handle snow at all. 2 inches will shut the city down for days.

On a side note, I really like the winter climate in southern Georgia. You get to experience lots of freezes (even hard 25 F freezes) due to radiational cooling at night, but you don't have to deal with any snow.

The summers are hellish, though. Especially this summer where it's been several degrees above average.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
What about -1 C/30 F and freezing rain? It could be worse.
True. But I'd be pining for snow at that point.

Quote:
Similar things happen in the southern US. Atlanta, for example, cannot handle snow at all. 2 inches will shut the city down for days.

On a side note, I really like the winter climate in southern Georgia. You get to experience lots of freezes (even hard 25 F freezes) due to radiational cooling at night, but you don't have to deal with any snow.

The summers are hellish, though. Especially this summer where it's been several degrees above average.
"Don't have to deal with any snow"? Snow is a good thing.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
True. But I'd be pining for snow at that point.

"Don't have to deal with any snow"? Snow is a good thing.
Snow's only good to look at. My car isn't 4 wheel drive, and I don't want to be driving around in it.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
They should hold it at Wentworth and then the weather would never be an issue.
No because it never rains at sporting events in England in summer.
Wimbledon, F1, Olympics, Superbikes, Cricket etc...

Old 07-18-2015, 11:49 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Golf can be played in the rain. It doesn't rain that much there anyway, and when it does it's just a shower, not like the days and days of rain and wind with cold temperatures you get in Scotland. It's also not windy there.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Snow's only good to look at. My car isn't 4 wheel drive, and I don't want to be driving around in it.
Snow is fun to play in, walk in, etc. My car isn't a 4WD either. Nor do I have snow tires put on. I manage just fine. In fact, in the absence of traffic, it's fun to drive in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather