Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 02:26 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
OK, maybe I am giving too much credit to the body. What I mean to say is everyone's diet/exercise preferences do a fantastic job of maintaining weight. If you're a normal healthy weight, there's no need to pay attention to what you're eating. Whatever you have been doing all this time has worked.

There are lots of healthy people out there who have been caught up in the calorie nonsense and ended up devoting a lot of their time to worrying about their diet. Unnecessary. They are usually worse off than they were before.
Okay, that makes a little more sense. You're right, in a way. What they've been doing has worked. Though body & lifestyle changes inevitably happen, and that's when people who never had to worry about their weight before can really pile on the pounds.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
OK, maybe I am giving too much credit to the body. What I mean to say is everyone's diet/exercise preferences do a fantastic job of maintaining weight. If you're a normal healthy weight, there's no need to pay attention to what you're eating. Whatever you have been doing all this time has worked.

There are lots of healthy people out there who have been caught up in the calorie nonsense and ended up devoting a lot of their time to worrying about their diet. Unnecessary. They are usually worse off than they were before.
That's true. Though I do think that most people who pay attention to it are the ones who are legitimately trying to make a change to be healthier. I changed my diet because I went up to 240 pounds last December and I noticed that I was chubby, so I started eating less and exercising more come January. Now I'm down to 208 pounds......I've been slacking since about April or so though. I was to 214 by the end of March and I've only lost 6 pounds in the last 3 months....not terrible but I've been starting to get back to my routine that I had in January-March now.

Yeah, it kind of irks when I see perfectly healthy and skinny people saying they need to lose weight. Almost seems like they're just fishing for compliments.

Although if a fat person says it....I don't wanna just be like "yeah, you do" because that sounds mean, even though that's what I'm thinking.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:30 PM

And this is certainly relevant to you, Tommy... case in point, the infamous "freshman 15": the fifteen or so pounds incoming freshmen seem to easily put on (due to lifestyle and dietary changes).

Though you said you're living off campus and not getting a meal plan, so perhaps it's not as big of a concern.

As for me, I never gained weight on any meal plan while at college., even though I hardly ever exercised. I usually ate what I wanted to, but I had far fewer snacks in between meals. I think that's what allowed me to maintain my weight (and even lose some without even trying at one point).

Old 07-15-2015, 02:31 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Yeah, I have My Fitness Pal too and its helped for sure. Keeping track changes your mentality and helps realize what your intake and burns are. Also realize how much nutrition and what the hell your eating.

Pretty digusting when you realize how many calories pizza is, or what soda does, or how much fat-sugar cereal has for just 1 cup.

I only drink water for past 3 yrs and it feels great.

burning calories and burning fat are different. You can walk for 8 hours and burn 1000 calories, it doesnt mean you burned fat calories.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
And this is certainly relevant to you, Tommy... case in point, the infamous "freshman 15": the fifteen or so pounds incoming freshmen seem to easily put on (due to lifestyle and dietary changes).

Though you said you're living off campus and not getting a meal plan, so perhaps it's not as big of a concern.

As for me, I never gained weight on any meal plan while at college., even though I hardly ever exercised. I usually ate what I wanted to, but I had far fewer snacks in between meals. I think that's what allowed me to maintain my weight (and even lose some without even trying at one point).
My freshman year of college I walked everywhere, so while I did eat a lot I think I maintained my weight because I would walk everywhere....Sophomore year I started working out a lot and in about 6 months I went from 300 pounds to 220 pounds....

Old 07-15-2015, 02:34 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Although if a fat person says it....I don't wanna just be like "yeah, you do" because that sounds mean, even though that's what I'm thinking.
I would agree with them. Wouldn't want to lie to someone so they could continue to be unhealthy.

Quote:
Yeah, it's *******s. I really doubt that would happen to me. I don't see how my diet or lifestyle would change significantly.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I started jogging about last November/December (I stopped for a few weeks because of the holidays) and my numbers back then were really bad too. Couldn't jog for more than 2-3 mins straight back then but now I can jog like 10-12 mins straight (I do 6 to keep a better pace and to not tire myself out).
You can run a mile in 4min30secs (thought you said that before) but can't jog more than 12 minutes at a time?

Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, I have My Fitness Pal too and its helped for sure. Keeping track changes your mentality and helps realize what your intake and burns are. Also realize how much nutrition and what the hell your eating.

Pretty digusting when you realize how many calories pizza is, or what soda does, or how much fat-sugar cereal has for just 1 cup.

I only drink water for past 3 yrs and it feels great.

burning calories and burning fat are different. You can walk for 8 hours and burn 1000 calories, it doesnt mean you burned fat calories.
Well, if you burn off the 1000 calories you just had as a big meal by doing lots of exercise, it may seem you're starting from the beginning. So it can seem rather depressing. But that doesn't account for your basal metabolism.. that is, the calories you'd burn just by being at rest. Usually, for an adult male, basal metabolic rate can be anywhere from 1800-2500 calories per day, depending on age & body composition. But even being out of bed, walking around, etc., raises that rate. So if you burn an additional 1000 calories exercising, those are calories burnt on top of what you body needs to burn to survive.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You can run a mile in 4min30secs (thought you said that before) but can't jog more than 12 minutes at a time?
Yeah, I can run really fast just not for a long time. Not seeing how that's confusing? There's a difference between stamina and quickness.....

I've always been kind of a "sprinter" but not a long distance runner. Now I'm trying to be more of the latter if that makes sense, although I want to run long distances and run fast simultaneously so that's why I'm not really trying to sacrifice speed, rather than just add more time each time I run.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:37 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I went through the Freshman 15 in college, or close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather