Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 07:45 PM

650 posts, read 450,638 times

Advertisements

Bemidji, Minnesota the past two years actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 10:23 PM

650 posts, read 450,638 times
Okay the post above was just really stupid and sarcastic. If I am bein serious I would say Asheville, North Carolina, not that I have been there, but I heard they have nice colors and a pretty bearable winter yeah.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:54 AM

346 posts, read 199,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawhats View Post
I agree. It depends on where you are in the state. Mt Mitchell autumns are very short and chilly, while autumns near Southport and Wilmington are very warm, even in late November.
Yeah, Mount Mitchell is quite cold in the winter and basically bordering on hemiboreal in climate (they are hardiness zone 5, I think between 5a and 5b - they get quite a few days day since the single digits every year and going below zero is not too uncommon there). It's obvious since they are pretty high in elevation.

I guess it's what people consider a "beautiful" autumn, if they are talking about fall deciduous hardwood tree foliage and colors - then that's fairly tricky. I would any place with chilly to cold winters and a continental climate that is part of the Eastern and Midwest hardwood tree system will work BUT you have to sacrifice a mild or warm winter where cold air masses are moderated (the OP ask a place that ALSO has a mild to no winter). I guess the inland south and parts of the Western US will somewhat come close. The issue with the inland south is while you have quite a few mild days temp wise in the core winter months or weeks - the inland south (i.e. Piedmont Crescent, Northern AL, MS, AK, NE TX) is guaranteed to be annually subject to occasional cold with 20 degree (or more) abnormalities (towards below average) in temps and most nights are close to or below 32F - limiting how 'mild' winter (those places are said to have 'mild' winters in the textbooks) in those so-called "subtropical" areas are.

Long story short, while the winters in the inland south are cool and relatively mild compared to most places, the winters are too unstable temp wise to be truly mild. Truth be told, you know I live in Raleigh, and I think the fall colors of the deciduous trees are usually not that spectacular here. Oaks can yield "okay" colors but nothing special IMO. Then again, I'm an evergreen vegetation type of person anyway. I only like deciduous hardwoods in the spring and summer where they are green with leaves - not into bare trees. I have seen some awesome fall colors I appreciate but I'm ultimately not fan because I know the leaves about to fall off. You have to go further west, at least into the western piedmont leading to the mountains, until you see cool fall foliage that people really like. In the RDU area is deciduous hardwoods mixed with southern yellow pine and I actually like pine trees way more - even the Loblollies seem to lean over time I guess because of their root system not being strong as Longleaf pines for example.

Now if they mean beautiful "weather" wise in the fall (and it's long), that's different. As for the US, pretty much the coastal deep south, southern and central California, a decent chunk of Texas and southern AZ got you covered. Their autumns have great weather (comfortable high temps that drop below 60F and exceed 90F on average) and their winters are mild where freezing temps are not the norm. Falls maybe be a bit shorter in large parts of TX and AZ because their summers are longer and hotter than the other places I listed - but they get a long season of good pleasant weather.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:21 PM

717 posts, read 453,230 times
Beautiful fall and mild winter? Northern Georgia Appalachian foothills

If you want warmer for mild , Gainesville Florida (University of Florida).. really nice October sunbathing and then cool crisp comfortable December days. South Florida takes till November to get comfortable but Gainesville gets relief from humidity usually during October and then it’s nice all the way till middle of May, with only some cold spells depending on year but more often than not the cold blast days are with deep blue sky with each subsequent day warming up

Old 08-07-2022, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 737 times
Hi. I found this thread while googling “cities with autumn but mild winter”. My partner and I grew up in Vermont and Michigan, and recently moved from Florida to Southern California. We’re still looking. We had to get a 1BR apartment an hour outside of LA to afford the move (even though our income is around $180K before taxes. We’ll never be able to afford a house here.

We’ve lived in Gatlinburg TN in the past; we loved the climate but disliked the “conservative/red” mindset (we’re LGBTQ).

As a followup to the original question, I guess I need to ask, “Which US states have autumn and the least amount of ice/snow in winter, but are good for more progressively minded people?” Bonus if it costs less to live there than SoCal so we can eventually get a house. Some snow/winter is probably inevitable with this criteria, but which would be better?

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:14 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,413,582 times
[quote=cevven;60156434]The issue with the inland south is while you have quite a few mild days temp wise in the core winter months or weeks - the inland south (i.e. Piedmont Crescent, Northern AL, MS, AK, NE TX) is guaranteed to be annually subject to occasional cold with 20 degree (or more) abnormalities (towards below average) in temps and most nights are close to or below 32F - limiting how 'mild' winter (those places are said to have 'mild' winters in the textbooks) in those so-called "subtropical" areas are.

Long story short, while the winters in the inland south are cool and relatively mild compared to most places, the winters are too unstable temp wise to be truly mild./QUOTE]

Depends on where you come from. For those of us in humid continental climates, the inland south's winters are quite mild and comfortable during the day.
Sure, nights may be cool, but the daytime highs of 10-15 Celsius in the places you mention are the equivalent of comfortable shoulder season days in humid continental climates, plus LOADS warmer than humid continental winters.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:27 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,246,943 times
The question "where is it like Southern California but cheaper?" might be the most commonly asked question on City-Data. There is no good answer - Southern California has a goldilocks climate for those who hate winter but also don't like to live in extreme heat and/or humidity during the warm season - i.e. a pretty significant % of the population. If there was a good answer all the Californians leaving their state would be there rather than humid and hot Austin, furnace hot Phoenix or arid but winter chilly places like Boise and Denver.

If you don't mind humidity in the summer and a few strong cold bursts lasting 3-5 days each during an otherwise short-ish and fairly bearable winter then most of the country south of D.C. will do.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:03 PM

2,396 posts, read 1,069,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The question "where is it like Southern California but cheaper?" might be the most commonly asked question on City-Data. There is no good answer - Southern California has a goldilocks climate for those who hate winter but also don't like to live in extreme heat and/or humidity during the warm season - i.e. a pretty significant % of the population. If there was a good answer all the Californians leaving their state would be there rather than humid and hot Austin, furnace hot Phoenix or arid but winter chilly places like Boise and Denver.

If you don't mind humidity in the summer and a few strong cold bursts lasting 3-5 days each during an otherwise short-ish and fairly bearable winter then most of the country south of D.C. will do.
Closest would be SE Arizona at about 5500 to 6000 ft ...like Bisbee,
also SW New Mexico at Fort Bayard....the US Army had a sanitorium there for
many years ...and like Bisbee...winter average highs near 60F ...summer average highs
below 90F ...with low humidity but not bone dry either...a goldilocks climate.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:02 PM

30 posts, read 28,753 times
Any thoughts on Pennsylvania? I know the autumns are gorgeous there, but are there parts where winter is fairly mild?

Old 07-27-2023, 01:16 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
We don’t really have a fall or winter here. Mild climate all year. Don’t use any heat or air con. It’s a rather unique coastal zone. Only about five miles wide. I can drive a mile or so east of the zone and feel it getting hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather