Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 13,301 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am new and hope I am posting in the correct area. I was wondering if you could give me some recommendations for areas in the United States that have spring, summer, and fall, but a mild to non-exisistent winter? Ideally I would love to relocate to an area with a long fall and colorful fall foliage. The Northeast intrigues me, but after last year's 110 inches of snow in Boston makes me extremely hesitant to explore that any further.
I am a nurse and from Nebraska. I am open to all suggestions. Please use as many details as possible when describing what a "mild" winter means to you. Nebraska winters can be brutal and not very pretty. Our fall season is usually extremely short which is a bummer!

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:05 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Upper South. Places like Tennessee, Arkansas, and northern parts of GA, AL, and MS. These places have nice falls and mild winters. Don't be fooled into thinking it's the tropics though, as these places can fall into the single digits a couple of times a winter (and on some cases below zero) but winter is overall pretty mild. You may also look at places in Upstate SC (Greenville or Spartanburg) or inland NC (Raleigh, Greensboro, etc).

Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
The Ozarks are known for beautiful foliage. Smokies have decent foliage, too

Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Northeast Texas has nice fall colors (yes, we have trees) but a pleasant, mild winter. No huge metros but there are some nice smaller metro areas around here, with lots of hospitals and medical facilities. Check out Tyler/Longview/Nachogdoches/Lufkin areas.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 AM

750 posts, read 740,885 times
Right here: the pacific northwest. If all you're concerned about is not getting very cold in winter, this is perfect. But if you actually want pleasant winters, you can forget about it. Our winters are near constant drizzle with temperatures hovering around 40 degrees. If you don't mind that, the northwest is perfect for you. Otherwise I'd agree with some of the other comments. Upper south is fairly nice. Tennessee, North Carolina, even northern Georgia still gets nice fall foliage. Winters are temperature-wise, pretty similar to the northwest, the difference being that it doesn't rain all the time and winters are extremely variable. A high of 60 one day and a high of 30 the next. Actually, come to think of it, Nashville has slightly colder winters than Portland and Seattle do...

Old 08-25-2015, 09:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Atlanta is a large city with I'm sure lots of opportunities for employment for a nurse. From 1985 to 2014 avg high for Jan is 53F with avg low of 35F. This is at Hartsfield Intl Airport. I'm sure in the city proper would be slightly higher. Avg lowest temp reached each winter over that 30 year period is 14F (gardening zone 8a). Avg max temp reached each Jan is 70F (and for the entire winter is 73F). Avg coldest day has a high temp of 34F (quite a bit warmer than Nebraska).

As far as winter weather like snow, avg monthly snowfall is 0 for the year, but because of years with some decent snowfall, the avg number of days each winter with a snowfall less than 3" is 1 day per year. More than 4" inches of snowfall and the number of days drops to zero. Not a very snowy winter at all compared to here.

I would think a winter in Atlanta for you after Nebraska would be a non winter.

November on the north side of Atlanta: you might be shortchanged on the Fall foliage. Doesn't seem to be decent Fall color.

https://goo.gl/maps/9y3HZ

Winter on the northside of Atlanta:

https://goo.gl/maps/M4Ujx

Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Atlanta is a large city with I'm sure lots of opportunities for employment for a nurse. From 1985 to 2014 avg high for Jan is 53F with avg low of 35F. This is at Hartsfield Intl Airport. I'm sure in the city proper would be slightly higher. Avg lowest temp reached each winter over that 30 year period is 14F (gardening zone 8a). Avg max temp reached each Jan is 70F (and for the entire winter is 73F). Avg coldest day has a high temp of 34F (quite a bit warmer than Nebraska).

As far as winter weather like snow, avg monthly snowfall is 0 for the year, but because of years with some decent snowfall, the avg number of days each winter with a snowfall less than 3" is 1 day per year. More than 4" inches of snowfall and the number of days drops to zero. Not a very snowy winter at all compared to here.

I would think a winter in Atlanta for you after Nebraska would be a non winter.

November on the north side of Atlanta: you might be shortchanged on the Fall foliage. Doesn't seem to be decent Fall color.

https://goo.gl/maps/9y3HZ

Winter on the northside of Atlanta:

https://goo.gl/maps/M4Ujx
That looks very green for November. I remember when I lived there peak was early November. I lived outside the city though. Fall was beautiful up there, I don't think they'd be short-changed at all.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 PM

264 posts, read 388,747 times
Atlanta is definitely what you are looking for.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Northeast Texas has nice fall colors (yes, we have trees) but a pleasant, mild winter. No huge metros but there are some nice smaller metro areas around here, with lots of hospitals and medical facilities. Check out Tyler/Longview/Nachogdoches/Lufkin areas.
What are fall colours like in the Dallas metroplex? I visited Texas for the first time last year's November and I saw a good amount of colours (specially compared to what I am used to) but many were still green. When does it get real pretty there? (This was from November 7th to the 13th.)

Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,872 times
Piedmont region of Georgia, South Carolina, or North Carolina. Just watch out for ice storms in winter. This region is notorious for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather