Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
^^ I'd think most regulars here are probably atheists.
Any reason?

Quote:
Unrelated, I found some non-CD forums which have the same layout as CD forums, with the same or similar emoji's and everything, but are completely separate entities. Makes me wonder, who is behind all of these?

English Forum Switzerland
Historum - History Forums
It's a standard forum software called VBulletin which is used by many other sites.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,683,986 times
Quote:
^^ I'd think most regulars here are probably atheists.

Unrelated, I found some non-CD forums which have the same layout as CD forums, with the same or similar emoji's and everything, but are completely separate entities. Makes me wonder, who is behind all of these?

English Forum Switzerland
Historum - History Forums
YES! I saw many of these! I don't know why is that, maybe the society who permits these forums is always the same, but the ones who create those specific forums are different people who ask that society?

Old 04-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Found it! It's Advameg, which is basically written on the bottom of the page xD

Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I was thinking Fairbanks.
Fairbanks has a nice climate and all (though the past 3 winters have been kind of lame), but it seems so small and there don't seem to be many interesting things to do there for young people, except maybe at UAF. Also the crime rate is really terrible, with everything from violence to rape to heroin abuse. If I were you, I'd only try it if I had the opportunity to move back to Miami at any given time.

Honestly I'd much rather live in cities like Minneapolis or Fargo, despite not being as good as Fairbanks climatologically. Fargo in particular is exploding in population right now, and pretty soon I think it'll be a nice lively city. Even smaller places like Duluth or Grand Forks seem nice. Don't know if you have considered those places? I'm assuming the COL isn't too bad except maybe in Minneapolis.

Just my 2 cents, I don't mean to put a damper on your hopes 'n dreams or anything like that.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Found it! It's Advameg, which is basically written on the bottom of the page xD
No, that's the company who owns City-Data.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
No, that's the company who owns City-Data.
I don't know then

Old 04-23-2016, 08:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Any reason?
Just speculating based on what I see reading the General Chat/(un)Happy threads every so often.

Quote:
It's a standard forum software called VBulletin which is used by many other sites.
Fascinating, seems like a pretty legit thing. They charge $250 for the cheapest version, I think that's roughly the same order of magnitude for stuff like MATLAB or data processing languages like SPSS. Don't know if making a forum is even comparable though. vBulletin Forum Features

Old 04-23-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I don't know then
Didn't you see my last post?

Quote:
Just speculating based on what I see reading the General Chat/(un)Happy threads every so often.
Ok, I thought you were saying an interest in weather would indicate that.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I was thinking Fairbanks.
I just want to ask you a question, you are free not to reply.

I suppose you just want to move to Fairbanks just because of cold winters, not because of anything else, since that place is very boring.

The question is: have you ever lived and/or travelled in a place with cold winters, during winter?

Even temperatures that you maybe underestimating because you see them in climate boxes so often, like 5 °F, are extremely cold. You'll have to get used to a whole new reality. Sure it's exciting, because you can say "today is -4 °F" and take a pride in that, even if it feels horrible. The problem is that if you say "Today is 0/-10 °F" very often, when the temperatures start to rise and you say "Today is 10 °F", it will not shock people anymore, but you'll still feel very cold.

I think Fairbanks' winters are a no-no. You can't do virtually anything most of the time. Even winters in Fargo or Grand Forks are extremely cold and very unpleasant. Are you sure you really want that? Do you know how cold it is? I'm just wondering, no offense.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
I know of two people who lived in Fairbanks and liked it. And at 0°F, you can bicycle on ice and it's barely slippery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather