Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:12 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times

Advertisements

Apologies for yet another snow-related thread, but I got a text from an Australian friend of mine today saying how amazing it was to wake up to a covering of snow for the first time in his life, and at work we had an Indian guy who went out at lunchtime to take photos because he'd never seen it either. I can't remember a winter without seeing at least some snow, so I can't imagine what it must be like to get to adulthood without experiencing what it's like, but thinking about it, it must be not far off half the world's population who've never seen it. Without looking up the exact figures, virtually nobody in Africa sees snow (I'm ignoring those who've seen it elsewhere), almost no Indians/SE Asians would have seen it, very few Arabs or Latin Americans, presumably a few hundred million southern Chinese (though I know Shanghai got badly hit a few years ago), so I was wondering if we are actually in the minority. Anyone on here never seen snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
About a little more than a half seems reasonable. The proportion that would likely see snow on a regular basis (consistently every year, with it sticking on the ground for a while), rather than as a rare event, would be an even smaller minority (At first glance, maybe around a quarter to a third).

Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I really love that map. Gives you a different perspective on the world, too. England looks a bit bigger now.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:35 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I really love that map. Gives you a different perspective on the world, too. England looks a bit bigger now.
Yeah, it looks twice the size of Canada as opposed to 50 times smaller! Funny how some parts of the world hardly look different to on the real map, yet Russia/Indonesia look hardly recognisable and Mongolia is about 1000 miles north of where it really is. And Alaska, God knows how many times bigger than the UK, no longer exists.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Yeah, it looks twice the size of Canada as opposed to 50 times smaller! Funny how some parts of the world hardly look different to on the real map, yet Russia/Indonesia look hardly recognisable and Mongolia is about 1000 miles north of where it really is. And Alaska, God knows how many times bigger than the UK, no longer exists.
It's not a terrible map if someone did it all free-hand.

I love how big India is now though.
Nearly 90% of Canadians live in that sliver that it represented on the map, btw.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM

87 posts, read 120,180 times
Always used to think Greenland was 4 times the size of Australia. Now I know it is due to distortion caused by laying a 3-D world onto a 2-D surface

I've seen snow, but here you have to go to the mountains and have to pay an entry fee to get into the ski resorts and such to see the white stuff.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 AM

497 posts, read 1,087,894 times
The South Island looks bigger than the North Island, at least NZ is actually on this map. NZ sometimes get left off completely. In my hometown maybe 40% of the population wouldn't have seen snow even though, on about 5 or 6 days a winter it's only a 15 minute drive away.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Apologies for yet another snow-related thread, but I got a text from an Australian friend of mine today saying how amazing it was to wake up to a covering of snow for the first time in his life, and at work we had an Indian guy who went out at lunchtime to take photos because he'd never seen it either. I can't remember a winter without seeing at least some snow, so I can't imagine what it must be like to get to adulthood without experiencing what it's like, but thinking about it, it must be not far off half the world's population who've never seen it. Without looking up the exact figures, virtually nobody in Africa sees snow (I'm ignoring those who've seen it elsewhere), almost no Indians/SE Asians would have seen it, very few Arabs or Latin Americans, presumably a few hundred million southern Chinese (though I know Shanghai got badly hit a few years ago), so I was wondering if we are actually in the minority. Anyone on here never seen snow?
Most people here in Perth have only seen snow on television, lol. I'm sure it's very common to live your whole life without seeing snow here.

Yes you could say most Africans haven't seen snow, especially the younger generation. As for Latin America, would seeing snow on mountains from a distance count? If so most South Americans and Mexicans would have seen snow and many would see snow from where they are living, even if they live in a tropical village in Ecuador.

Same with Northern Indians who can see the Himalayas. I think only Chinese people in the southernmost provinces would NEVER have seen snow, and snow has fallen in most of China.

Australia is probably the only westernized nation where more than 50% of the population has never seen snow, although there's a chance it could be just over 50%, as we do have regular snow in the high parts of the Great Dividing Range, and snow occasionally falls in other areas in Southern Australia.

I myself didn't see snow until age 16 when we went to New Zealand, and I've yet to see snow falling.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:29 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most people here in Perth have only seen snow on television, lol. I'm sure it's very common to live your whole life without seeing snow here.

Australia is probably the only westernized nation where more than 50% of the population has never seen snow, although there's a chance it could be just over 50%, as we do have regular snow in the high parts of the Great Dividing Range, and snow occasionally falls in other areas in Southern Australia.
It is a bit more accurate to use population size…rather than just individual nations:

Australia (21 million) is a tiny country compared to the USA (320 million). Even if half of all Australians never saw snow in their life…that’s only about 10 million people. Many people living in places like Florida (18 million) or California (40 million) have never seen snow in their lives…and have the population as big as or bigger than the whole country of Australia. Add in people who have moved from other parts of the world to cities like Miami, San Diego, LA, Tampa, …etc who never saw snow in their native countries or in the USA and you are talking huge numbers of people. More than 120 million people live in the sun belt of the USA from California east to South Carolina…even if only a quarter of them (around 30 million people) have never seen snow...that’s still three times the number who never did in Australia (10 million or so).

Old 12-05-2010, 02:43 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
About a little more than a half seems reasonable. The proportion that would likely see snow on a regular basis (consistently every year, with it sticking on the ground for a while), rather than as a rare event, would be an even smaller minority (At first glance, maybe around a quarter to a third).
Interesting photo, India would have to go to the Himalayas to see snow.
Other tropical countries such as Indonesia would never see it.
I have seen snow, 3 times in total, but nowhere near my place of residence - which is the key factor here - ie having to make a conscientious effort to see it, and not where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather