Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 PM

633 posts, read 666,467 times

Advertisements

low of 38°F this morning, first frost of the season. it was light and patchy, many areas had no frost. may convince the trees that its winter now.

i would like to correct an error i made above stating the ratio of coniferous vs deciduous in my area. i was focusing on deciduous trees the other day and i guess i took for granite just how many coniferous trees we have, makes the deciduous trees stand out more. my location is more like 80% coniferous and 20% deciduous. near the beach its more like 90% coniferous and 10% deciduous. in fact many areas of Anastasia Island, not a single deciduous tree in sight. out near Gainesville its around 67% coniferous and 33% deciduous. hard to get an idea of the average because it really depends on the habitat you are looking at. ex: creeks are almost entirely deciduous while flatwoods are almost entirely coniferous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
I live about 200 miles north of you. My deciduous trees were doing this during early-mid December. They're now all bare. The American Sweetgums in particular were incredibly disappointing. When I traveled down to Jacksonville the week before Christmas, their Bradford Pears were for the most part, completely green. I was astonished.
i had similar astonishment when i traveled to North Carolina 2 years ago. it was the middle of April (i think it was the 16th). I was driving through Spartanburg, SC (800 ft.) and basically all of the trees were full and lush. you can tell the leaves were fresh and brand new but nonetheless full and looked like a very green springy place. 40 miles later Hendersonville, NC (2,100 ft.) and all of the trees were completely bare! it still looked like winter! not even buds. it was an amazing change in 40 miles and ~1,300 ft.

another note, you can see some full grown Sabal palms in Spartanburg but in Hendersonville not a single one and instead you start to see what looks to be a variety of spruce.

i remember one winter here in St. Augustine it was towards the end of February, most of the red maples in my area were still bare and i went to Orlando and saw that all of the red maples were already in full bloom and i recall distinctly how jealous i was.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 01-11-2016 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather