Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

I think OP is way too picky on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 05:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
"Climate classifications are useless because the Köppen System sucks".

Yep, wonderful logic!

People tend to forget that Köppen invented the system some 130 years ago, at a time that climate data around the world was scarce and deficient, and the subsequent changes throughout years were small, always keeping the general structure originally set.

By the time the knowledge of the climates of the world and the system's flaws became considerable, it was already widespread enough so that no new classification was able to gain acceptance, whereas Köppen's itself was still working for (let's say) the basic purposes. Not sure if a good analogy, but I think of the QWERTY keyboards as another flawed or counterintuitive invention that ended up being universal and forever unmatched.

However, I still think a more polished classification created from scratch might (should) be implemented.

For the overall utility of a classification system, Nei has already given a good answer.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Yes, OP just dislikes them because they throw his climate in with climates that he dislikes.

Koppen's system isn't perfect, but it's still very respectable in my eyes.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Yes, OP just dislikes them because they throw his climate in with climates that he dislikes.

Koppen's system isn't perfect, but it's still very respectable in my eyes.
Not so - I agree with the aspect of grouping climates by cause and effect, but I see that that many on here don't don't comprehend the basic truth it extolls, but instead think of it as a "what the weather feels like" guide

I dislike it because many just use the labels it applies, in a careless manner , making coherent discussion difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather