Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 09:26 PM

57 posts, read 57,407 times

Advertisements

Australia is known for its heat even here in Brazil. Having a few cool days in winter dont change that. Will someone say the Sahara is not hot because it can be cool in winter ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 09:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,375 times
And arctic_gardener, if you're still not convinced that Australia is hot as hell, here you can find a list of the hottest places in Australia by annual average maximum temperature. You can view them territory by terrirory, and you'll notice that every territory (except Victoria) has several separate locations with annual maxima above 27C.

http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=f&sc=hot&cmd=sp

Old 03-12-2016, 09:37 PM

57 posts, read 57,407 times
Average highs are definitively more important than daily mean.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrinho View Post
Average highs are definitively more important than daily mean.
Definitely not.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:26 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,678,568 times
Please, stop fighting. There's no need to insult each other. Calling other people with swear words or "troll" doesn't seem that smart to me, does it to you?

Anyway, I find Australia very hot (just like the Mojave, Sahara and other deserts, so it's not exceptionally hot).

Kununurra, Western Australia, probably one of the hottest places in the world during the month of November. It's impressive, considering it's just 15 °S.
Telfer, Western Australia, average highs above 40 °C in December and January. Probably one of the hottest places in the world during that period.
Marble Bar, Western Australia, "The town set a world record of most consecutive days of 100 °F (37.8 °C) or above, during a period of 160 days from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924". Its summers are hotter than Dubai and Phoenix.
Newman, Western Australia, also very hot.
Oodnadatta, South Australia, a temperature of 50.7 °C has been recorded.
Warburton, Western Australia
Wiluna, Western Australia

Well, I could keep linking for a long time, but that wouldn't make sense. Many parts of interior Australia average highs higher than 38 °C, and it's difficult to find another part of the world (in another country) hotter than that in December and January.

The fact that many locations in Australia had recorded temperatures below 5 °C in summer doesn't mean it's not hot. Even Argentina did record that.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:10 AM

Uhm. He's clearly wrong. Australia is extremely hot, no doubt about this. I don't know why he was saying that. The proof that Australia is hot by world standards is that there's virtually no place hotter than Marble Bar in December and January, and it's slightly hotter than both Dubai and Phoenix in the summer, cities well known for their extremely hot weather. Sure, there are hotter cities (like Kuwait, Mecca, Death Valley, Baghdad and a few other places), but that's like saying Baker Lake, Nunavut isn't cold by world standards, just because Oymyakon is much colder.

Still, there's no need to insult other people just because they're trying to prove something obviously false. There's no need to show your anger publicly. We all know Australia is very hot, and that should be enough.

Anyway, as I said before, latitude is just one factor of determining a climate.

Winnipeg is much colder than Dublin in winter, even though it's located more than 3 degrees farther from the equator.

Last edited by nei; 03-13-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Uhm. He's clearly wrong. Australia is extremely hot, no doubt about this. I don't know why he was saying that. The proof that Australia is hot by world standards is that there's virtually no place hotter than Marble Bar in December and January, and it's slightly hotter than both Dubai and Phoenix in the summer, cities well known for their extremely hot weather. Sure, there are hotter cities (like Kuwait, Mecca, Death Valley, Baghdad and a few other places), but that's like saying Baker Lake, Nunavut isn't cold by world standards, just because Oymyakon is much colder.

Still, there's no need to insult other people just because they're trying to prove something obviously false. There's no need to show your anger publicly. We all know Australia is very hot, and that should be enough.

Anyway, as I said before, latitude is just one factor of determining a climate.

Winnipeg is much colder than Dublin in winter, even though it's located more than 3 degrees farther from the equator.
Marble Bar is not warmer than Dubai in Summer, but the rest is true.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:55 AM

I was just talking about the average high in their hottest months.

Marble Bar - 41.6 °C
Dubai - 41.3 °C

That's what I meant.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,503 times
Well, saying that only isolated places of Australia are hot is a bit stretchy to say the least, but stating that Australia is a very hot place doesn't sound very precise either...

What qualifies for hot? Hot summers? Hot year round? Average daily highs over 30ºC? Monthly average over 22ºC? 25ºC? Is Washington D.C. hot? Its summers surely are. The rest of the year, definitely not. Is it a hot place overall? I'd say no.

The same rule could be applied for Australia, I guess. What if we stick to annual averages? Setting a threshold around 21ºC, we can say that 60% is hot, 40% is not, so whereas Australia is on the 'hot side', maybe it's not very fair to state that Australia is a very hot country. Many places have very hot summer but rather mild winters. Some places, but not so much, are extremely hot overall -the areas with annual average above 27ºC are less than I expected-. Many countries of the world are overall hotter.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:51 PM

52 posts, read 57,090 times
what? no you can't make such blanket statements. There are innumerable factors, like climate, elevation, proximity to large bodies of water, whether the weather is being intentionally manipulated by HAARP and other evil things, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather