Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate of Dalloland Station
A 0 0%
B 0 0%
C 0 0%
D 1 4.35%
E 2 8.70%
F 11 47.83%
U (unearthly) 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 03:30 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,460,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrinho View Post
Do you think people in Oymyakon live without heating ?

Also, Dallol heat is humid, so you can expect absurd heat index of 60+, even at night, in fact, heat index often climb at night due to rise in relative humidity.

And Oymyakon summers are nice, while Dallol winters are torrid(no, 24-30C at night is not comfortable, especially when humidity is high).
It's nice enough for me and I can always chill the pool during a summer day in Dallol. Though I do have a decent heat and cold tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
What I meant is that Oymyakon is really nice in June, July and August, while Dallol doesn't even get close to comfortable in any month. Of course Oymyakon is exceedingly frigid in the winter, nobody doubts that. An average high of -42.5 °C in January is extremely hostile, and any outdoor activity is virtually impossible. The difference is that Oymyakon gets a comfortable period, while Dallol doesn't.

Summit Camp is somewhat like Dallol experience.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 PM

57 posts, read 57,498 times
I do think Dallol heat rivals Oymyakon cold, but no heat in the world rivals the cold in the Antarctic plateau.

One hypothetical climate who could rivals Antarctica cold is the abyssal desert climate, which existed in prehistoric earth when the mediterranean was dry, it would have 80C highs in summer and 40C lows in winter !

Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,870 times
In reality, if one takes into account factors such as overall comfort, habitability, ready availability of basic needs such as water and food, the ability of vegetation and crops to thrive, and various other factors, then the overall "cold-equivalent" climate of Dallol would be comparable to these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Bay#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert,_Nunavut#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMurdo_Station

Comparing an air-conditioned Dallol to Eureka CA or Des Moines is pretty nonsensical for obvious reasons. The question might be a matter of opinion to some extent, but it's pretty clear that an uninhabitable climate like Dallol is in no way "equivalent" to large city with tens of thousands of thriving people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
An average high of -42.5 °C in January is extremely hostile, and any outdoor activity is virtually impossible. The difference is that Oymyakon gets a comfortable period, while Dallol doesn't.
No, people go outside at those temperatures. From what I've read in articles and seen in videos schoolkids play outside even if it's -40 or -45C. It only becomes "virtually impossible" to go outside after -50C or so.

Last edited by Shalop; 03-13-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post

No, people go outside at those temperatures. From what I've read in articles and seen in videos schoolkids play outside even if it's -40 or -45C. It only becomes "virtually impossible" to go outside after -50C or so.
This also depends on wind chill.

In Siberia the weather in winter is mostly calm, while in the Arctic winds are very strong, thus reducing visibility and rising wind chill and making impossible to go outside.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrinho View Post
This also depends on wind chill.

In Siberia the weather in winter is mostly calm, while in the Arctic winds are very strong, thus reducing visibility and rising wind chill and making impossible to go outside.
I was speaking about the windless cold in Siberia, of course.

Specifically, in this video, you can see kids playing on the playground at -45C in Yakutsk. Fastforward to 1:43 for that specific sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehRUEdfu2s

Old 03-13-2016, 11:39 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,177,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I was speaking about the windless cold in Siberia, of course.

Specifically, in this video, you can see kids playing on the playground at -45C in Yakutsk. Fastforward to 1:43 for that specific sight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehRUEdfu2s

Exposed skin gets frostbite in a very short amount of time at -45C. Breathing is also quite painful. I wonder how long those people stay outside before needing to go into a heated building.

You're gonna laugh you're ass off at this but as an L.A kid, we got indoor recess at 50F if sunny and 55 F if cloudy and at any temperature even if the lightest drizzle (even a couple of raindrops) were falling from the sky or if the playground was wet from rain earlier that day.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Exposed skin gets frostbite in a very short amount of time at -45C. Breathing is also quite painful. I wonder how long those people stay outside before needing to go into a heated building.

You're gonna laugh you're ass off at this but as an L.A kid, we got indoor recess at 50F if sunny and 55 F if cloudy and at any temperature even if the lightest drizzle (even a couple of raindrops) were falling from the sky or if the playground was wet from rain earlier that day.
At -30C I could stay outside comfortably for 30 min or so while walking around in some basic but heavy cold-weather gear. So with the enormous reindeer furs that those people wear I assume they can easily stay out there at -40C for 30 minutes comfortably, even an hour without substantial danger.

I also got indoor recess if it was below 40F or drizzly. But of course the culture will be different in a place where the annual mean is -10C as opposed to 10C or 20C.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:45 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
-30 °C is extremely uncomfortable (personal experience), but outside activities that don't require more than a hour are possible, albeit miserably so. I prefer staying at home, playing Final Fantasy XII.

Indoor recess at 55 °F is abnormal, what would happen in that temperature? It's not deadly at all.
Even light rain is fine. I don't see what's wrong. What do they fear?

Anyway, for me, only temperatures between -5 °C and +27 °C are fine. Colder and hotter than that means I will not go outside, or at least, not that long. So... I'd never go outside in Dallol.

Its most similar climate, (namely Mecca), though, has more than 1,600,000 inhabitants. I'd never go outside there as well. It's a luck that Non-Muslims cannot go there (I'm an Atheist).

The other non religious similar place is Wyndham. It's only 669 inhabitants. That place is very bad as well.

I think Dallol could host a hamlet of 1,000.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post

The same can be said of 50C(122F) heat, you can't stay outside for too long otherwise you're risking your life.

Breathing is very difficult when is too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather