Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Are you in Miami Gardens or somewhere else? I don't see any lightning in your area even.
I'm in Cooper City right now.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:09 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,032,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think people who care more about animals than people are kind of sad. It's an obvious sign of scorn. I'd find it hard to place an animal's life above that of another human being, unless said human being is very evil. I love my dog, but I wouldn't save his life over that of a close friend - probably not even a stranger. Losing a pet is hard, but losing someone close to you - like a parent or child - is a kind of pain hard to describe, and you don't really know what it's like until you experience it yourself. Few things come close. I couldn't live with myself if I allowed someone's parent or child to die.
Why is it sad? I would place most animals lives over many humans, especially those I do not know. And I have lost a parent, so I know about grief & to me losing a much loved pet comes very very close... To people who cannot have children a cat or dog can become like a surrogate child, so there is a very strong attachment. If I had to save my cat or a stranger I'm afraid the stranger would be dead

Old 05-18-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Why is it sad? I would place most animals lives over many humans, especially those I do not know. And I have lost a parent, so I know about grief & to me losing a much loved pet comes very very close... To people who cannot have children a cat or dog can become like a surrogate child, so there is a very strong attachment. If I had to save my cat or a stranger I'm afraid the stranger would be dead
Exactly. I don't understand how anyone would choose a complete stranger over their own pet. I've had my pups for 11 and 12 years respectively and it seems really cold-hearted if I were to choose a random stranger over two loving and cute pups that have cheered me up for half my life.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:37 PM

I feel such a relief when I get home and get greeted by two wagging tails, pets are always happy to see you whether you're gone for five minutes or five days...

Old 05-18-2016, 06:39 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Exactly. I don't understand how anyone would choose a complete stranger over their own pet. I've had my pups for 11 and 12 years respectively and it seems really cold-hearted if I were to choose a random stranger over two loving and cute pups that have cheered me up for half my life.
I think of that person - they're someone's child, someone's parent. I think of how upset I would be in that situation if my mother died, and I'd be quite horrified if someone allowed her to die for the sake of a dog that won't be alive for half as long as most people, and wouldn't have the opportunity or ability to contribute to the world in a way a person could.

You can call it heartless, but in almost every situation, I will value the life of a human above that of a pet. If someone allowed a close relative of mine to die in favour of their dog, I'd want to kill them myself. I would never put another family through that level of grief, for a pet.

Sorry, but I'll never understand this infatuation people have with animals. I know it's trendy to be a misanthropist these days, but I don't hate people.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:43 PM

It just doesn't make sense to save something that was completely meaningless to you beforehand over a pet that you supposedly "love". I mean of course ideally you would save both lives but I'm going to save the one that matters more to me.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:45 PM

I find it harder to watch other people dying. People are more aware of the world around them, so they'd be more aware of their impending doom if they were in a life or death situation. An animal probably wouldn't. I put myself in the shoes of that person and I imagine how terrified they must be, and how I would feel in that situation. Maybe I'm very empathetic. I imagine a scenario where that person's family are there, and how they'd react seeing their loved one killed in cold blood because I chose my dog. I'd be devastated for them.

It's like, I see people getting so up in arms over animal abuse but they seem hardly phased when they hear of children being beaten and sexually abused. They seem genuinely more concerned about an animal suffering, than a child. That is the type of mindset I don't understand, and never will.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Animals in houses are usually stressful to me. Parrots are cool because they talk, but only because I'm not the one who has to take care of them.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I find it harder to watch other people dying. People are more aware of the world around them, so they'd be more aware of their impending doom if they were in a life or death situation. An animal probably wouldn't.

It's like, I see people getting so up in arms over animal abuse but they seem hardly phased when they hear of children being beaten and sexually abused. They seem genuinely more concerned about an animal suffering, than a child. That is the type of mindset I don't understand, and never will.
OK - I can agree with that. I find both equally appalling, but yeah some people seem more concerned with animals than children, which I don't agree with.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:53 PM

I mean don't get me wrong, I understand why you'd value the life of your pet over a stranger, and I've never been in 'choose one and the other dies' scenario, so who knows how I'd react, but I'd find it incredibly hard to let another person die, especially if they're very young so have the rest of their lives ahead of them. Death always seems worse when the person dying is very young, and their life has ended before it got the chance to start.

That being said, I took my dog to the vets recently because he was breathing very heavily. I was holding back tears because I thought he was going to die. So it wouldn't be an easy decision to make, or a quick one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather