Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose your favorite subtropical climate from the following menu
Tampa, Florida 11 12.50%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 4 4.55%
Charleston, South Carolina 15 17.05%
Florence, Italy 10 11.36%
Tokyo, Japan 5 5.68%
Hong Kong 2 2.27%
Buenos Aires, Argentina 3 3.41%
Sydney, Australia 11 12.50%
Brisbane, Australia 18 20.45%
Johannesburg, South Africa 9 10.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waycross999 View Post
Tom77falcons has a one man mission to bash the subtropical southern USA....lol. He goes all over citydata trying to convince anyone he can the subtropical southern USA is a bad climate/region/culture....etc.
The constant hatred of anything American is kind of strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 08:00 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why can't these deniers just admit the US South is kind of unique in the world of subtropical climates with the stupid cold it gets every few decades? I just don't get it. It is what it is. It won't change because they want it to. There is no high mountain chain, no huge body of water to protect the South from the Arctic. North America is basically a sub-arctic continent with a tiny fringe of subtropical area on the southern edges. Other than that, a very cold continent over all. Europe is far far more mild and beneficial for subtropical vegetation. I have accepted that. They just cannot accept it, and they cling to this idea of a warm period going on forever. It just is not going to happen. They will be so shocked when the real cold returns to the South and wipes everything out. It just won't last. The warm PDO is back and here to stay, and the AMO is on its way to cold again. Welcome to the 80's redux. Boy are they in for a surprise.

And Wavehunter is not telling the truth. Savannah went into single digits 1962 (9F), 1966 (9F), and in 1970 10F. 13F 1917.

I'm sure Naples, Italy has never gone near those temps, or Buenos Aires, or Sydney, or any other decent subtropical climate at that latitude and with those winter avg temps. It is just stupid cold for a place with a Jan avg temp of 60/40F to go down to 9F that often. I didn't even post the 3F from the 1980's and the other single digit temps.

The South is a second rate subtropical climate that simply cannot match the ability of other subtropical areas of the world in the growing of long term tender subtropical vegetation. This is just fact.
This isnt fact, it is opinion. Your opinion. One I havent ever heard voiced anywhere other than in this thread, in my lifetime. I dont consider the alot of the sunbelt to be subarctic? Personally I wish florida, texas,georgia,arizona and the carolinas would start promoting these states as subarctic second rate climates, maybe it would slow the massive emigration into these states from up north. lol

People keep bringing up some historical freezes, how about look at the drought records of alot of these other subtropical paradises? Alot of places could easily be considered dry , mediterranean climates

9 of the the top 10 states with the highest rainfall are in the south, 10 of the the top 13 large metros with the highest rainfall averages are in the south , why is the occasional freeze worse than prolonged drought cycles?

Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
I will be the first to say that alot of the northern edges of the koppen classification for humid subtropical should be humid continental, but once you start getting into around maybe virginia beach and lower , its definitely an excellent representation of humid subtropical .

Old 04-30-2016, 08:36 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
I think subtropical in the SE USA only starts where the average January temp is 50F or above. If it's colder than that, it's just warm temperate with continental influences

Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I will be the first to say that alot of the northern edges of the koppen classification for humid subtropical should be humid continental, but once you start getting into around maybe virginia beach and lower , its definitely an excellent representation of humid subtropical .

That just happens to go down into single digits F every few decades.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waycross999 View Post
Tom77falcons has a one man mission to bash the subtropical southern USA....lol. He goes all over citydata trying to convince anyone he can the subtropical southern USA is a bad climate/region/culture....etc.

What is so funny is no matter how much he tries it always backfires lol......

I noticed the cities in the southern USA are winning....on nooooooooooooooo Tom LOL.

I love the look of the southeast coastal strip in winter with live oaks and moss. But I'm just realistic about what can grow there over the long term, and the susceptibility of the region to really really cold arctic outbreaks. But I never said it wasn't subtropical, just not a good version of one given the winter instability.
That high standard deviation in winter cannot be denied. Very easy to prove.

Showing pics of the Med with snow is only half the story. Just how cold did it get. Snow is not damaging on palms, or minimally, compared with single digit F temps and ice days. There is no denying that even the Gulf Coast has had and does get ice days in winter. Not saying every year by any means, but they happen every decade or so even in places like Charleston. An ice day is very bad for palms with a low temp in the low teens F or single digits. That is where the other subtropical climates of the world outperform the South. The lack of extreme negative temperature departures from average.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:05 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
And Canberra is? How about Sydney can't even average 80 in its hottest month. Funny how the only people who fall for the " southeast is a continental subarctic climate" deal is people from Europe who have never spent time in any of these places yet they seem to be some sort of subtropical experts. You always forget our ultra tropical summers, and just look at random extreme cold snaps.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
This isnt fact, it is opinion. Your opinion. One I havent ever heard voiced anywhere other than in this thread, in my lifetime. I dont consider the alot of the sunbelt to be subarctic? Personally I wish florida, texas,georgia,arizona and the carolinas would start promoting these states as subarctic second rate climates, maybe it would slow the massive emigration into these states from up north. lol

People keep bringing up some historical freezes, how about look at the drought records of alot of these other subtropical paradises? Alot of places could easily be considered dry , mediterranean climates

9 of the the top 10 states with the highest rainfall are in the south, 10 of the the top 13 large metros with the highest rainfall averages are in the south , why is the occasional freeze worse than prolonged drought cycles?
Agreed, tires of northerners eating up the land down here and bringing there crazy ideals with them. . Wonder why a lot of immigration down south comes from the north and a lot of them cite warmth as being a reason they left up north..... But who am I kidding I live In a subarctic climate.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:

I've posted plenty of pics showing all kinds of palms and things growing there. I just wish these historical freezes didn't happen cause I have also seen people lose their backyard citrus trees only as recent as 2014 in Beaufort SC. I don't like winter instability or high standard deviation of temps. Overall the region has not been having a repeat of the 80's type cold, but with cold AMO coming I think winters will get colder again. I hope that kind of cold never comes back cause queen palms are now growing all around Savannah. I would hate to see those go.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've posted plenty of pics showing all kinds of palms and things growing there. I just wish these historical freezes didn't happen cause I have also seen people lose their backyard citrus trees only as recent as 2014 in Beaufort SC. I don't like winter instability or high standard deviation of temps. Overall the region has not been having a repeat of the 80's type cold, but with cold AMO coming I think winters will get colder again. I hope that kind of cold never comes back cause queen palms are now growing all around Savannah. I would to see those go.
I do agree with you on a lot of things tom but an 80s freeze doesn't look likely, records for Raleigh go back to the 1890s, only decade that looked like the 80s was none other than the 80s, makes me think decades like that aren't very common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather