Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Newest revision. March and December a bit chillier, summer lows a bit warmer:

USDA hardiness zone is 7a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:21 PM

623 posts, read 675,265 times

My dream climate is similar to where I live now. It's about 3 degrees cooler in summer and 10 in winter. I based the sunshine % and hours off of somewhere that's 50 degrees north--about 16.5 hours daylight in summer, 8 hours in winter.

Summer is warm and sometimes hot, with mornings being mild most of the time. Rain comes mostly from scattered downpours and thunderstorms, instead of slow drizzle. Drought and severe flooding are uncommon but possible. Heatwaves can bring tropical temperatures and humidity but only for a few days at a time.

Fall is generally mild turning to cool. The first frost is usually in September, the first snow is usually in October, and snowpack starts to stay for good in late November or early December. It's the cloudiest time of year, but there are still sunny days sometimes.

Winter has plenty of snow to stick around, and the snowpack averages 18" in February, the deepest month. Rain is rare. Thaws are also rare, and the ground is almost never bare from mid-december to early March. Despite the snow there are still clear and sunny days, especially in late winter. Most days have calm or light winds, but storms can bring strong winds, blizzard conditions, and drifting snow. Most highs are in the 20s, but cold spells drop them to the single digits or below zero, with the coldest night of the year reaching into the minus twenties.

The snow starts melting in March and is usually gone by late march or sometimes early April. By April there is more rain than snow, and the snow rarely sticks around for long. April is slightly wetter than March, and can still have large snowstorms. May is noticeably wetter than April, but the precipitation days are similar. The last snow flurries are usually in April, and settling snow in May is rare. The last frost is almost always in May.

Hardiness zone would be 4b, and the vegetation would be mostly coniferous forest and some wetlands. The growing season and precipitation would allow for agriculture.

Scenes like this would be nice:
http://hqworld.net/gallery/data/medi..._wisconsin.jpg
http://www.gazprom.com/f/posts/38/479991/img34010.jpg
http://www.planetware.com/photos-lar...y-dam-pond.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/79360833.jpg
http://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-co...umblingrun.jpg

Last edited by Crunch41; 05-01-2016 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,681,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch41 View Post
My dream climate is similar to where I live now. It's about 3 degrees cooler in summer and 10 in winter. I based the sunshine % and hours off of somewhere that's 50 degrees north--about 16.5 hours daylight in summer, 8 hours in winter.

Summer is warm and sometimes hot, with mornings being mild most of the time. Rain comes mostly from scattered downpours and thunderstorms, instead of slow drizzle. Drought and severe flooding are uncommon but possible. Heatwaves can bring tropical temperatures and humidity but only for a few days at a time.

Fall is generally mild turning to cool. The first frost is usually in September, the first snow is usually in October, and snowpack starts to stay for good in late November or early December. It's the cloudiest time of year, but there are still sunny days sometimes.

Winter has plenty of snow to stick around, and the snowpack averages 18" in February, the deepest month. Rain is rare. Thaws are also rare, and the ground is almost never bare from mid-december to early March. Despite the snow there are still clear and sunny days, especially in late winter. Most days have calm or light winds, but storms can bring strong winds, blizzard conditions, and drifting snow. Most highs are in the 20s, but cold spells drop them to the single digits or below zero, with the coldest night of the year reaching into the minus twenties.

The snow starts melting in March and is usually gone by late march or sometimes early April. By April there is more rain than snow, and the snow rarely sticks around for long. April is slightly wetter than March, and can still have large snowstorms. May is noticeably wetter than April, but the precipitation days are similar. The last snow flurries are usually in April, and settling snow in May is rare. The last frost is almost always in May.

Hardiness zone would be 4b, and the vegetation would be mostly coniferous forest and some wetlands. The growing season and precipitation would allow for agriculture.

Scenes like this would be nice:
http://hqworld.net/gallery/data/medi..._wisconsin.jpg
http://www.gazprom.com/f/posts/38/479991/img34010.jpg
http://www.planetware.com/photos-lar...y-dam-pond.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/79360833.jpg
http://cdn.onlyinyourstate.com/wp-co...umblingrun.jpg
It looks like Grand Forks, North Dakota

Old 05-02-2016, 02:45 PM

808 posts, read 711,334 times
Default 5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Not bad; looks kind of like an idealised version of my climate. The winters are still much too cool for my liking, the winter gloom would probably get to me, and the summer humidity is too high, so overall I'd give this a C-/D+. (Don't worry, though; I'm a conservative grader.)

Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Adventurous climate, I actually really like how it warms up in April and May, but too much snow in the shoulder seasons is a negative
I guess April and October would be decent even for a warm weather fan. But yeah, most Novembers and Marches see midwinter-like spells, complete with snow and freezing temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Your dream climate matches almost exactly to Des Moines, except it's much wetter and snowier. I think you mentioned before that you modeled it after Des Moines?
Yeah, I copied Des Moines' box and made some small adjustments. Iowa <3

Quote:
And yeah, lately I've been noticing that 70-75 F summers are too cool to be interesting. 83-88 F is much better that would make summer storms stronger and more frequent. Also, winter is definitely a winter "haven"
You finally came to your senses. Took you time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch41 View Post
Make it 10°F warmer and it would get a straight A from me. As it is, it's definitely on the cold side. Still one of the better climates on this thread imo.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 PM

808 posts, read 711,334 times
Default Bingley, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
If my dream climate is too bleh and meh for you I wonder how you would rate my actual climate (where I actually live is not quite this bad, but you get the idea). Presumably an F? (Though I'd only give it a D- myself, much too grey year-round, too much cold at the wrong time of year and rain too persistent in winter.)

Bingley SAMOS climate information - Met Office
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I couldn't see the data from your link. Based on the info on Wikipedia, it's anywhere from a D to an F, depending on the records.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:12 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
You're looking at mean max (the highest temperature during the whole month) not Average max.
ah yeah, those are disturbing.

Still, may-october is a good swimming period. Rest of the year has mild afternoons but the waters might be a bit cool.

I call that a beach resort.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:16 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Closest climate to that would be somewhere in the inland areas of the PNW.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Edited version, I based this one off Rosario Argentina as well as Huelva Spain
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Edition - Post your ideal climatic averages-perfectiontrue.png  

Old 05-04-2016, 04:06 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,681,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Edited version, I based this one off Rosario Argentina as well as Huelva Spain
Too hot for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather