Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM

769 posts, read 479,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
UHI is misleading- Airports are likely to be more representative of a larger area
Not in our case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:45 AM

855 posts, read 771,594 times
Downtown Vancouver is quite dense and surrounded by water. Must have a pretty strong UHI compared to the airport. Of course most Vancouverites live in UHI zones so maybe that is more representative than the airport after all.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
The UHI makes the downtown receive a lot less snow than surrounding areas.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:44 PM

769 posts, read 479,726 times
The old official station for Vancouver used to be situated at city hall. That location would be far better at representing the city when compared to downtown or the airport(which is not even in the city of Vancouver).

Old 08-02-2018, 05:47 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,124,126 times
Most airports around the world are located outside of cities.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:55 PM

217 posts, read 146,447 times
PEI has been having an amazing last few weeks temperature wise.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:02 AM

855 posts, read 771,594 times
I noticed water temperatures in PEI were looking pretty toasty.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:49 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Most airports around the world are located outside of cities.
I wouldn’t say most....

Philadelphia airport is really close to the city center, especially for a big city.

Even NYC airports represent New York quite well.

London Heathrow to me is in London...I know some will disagree...B87

Calgary Airport is with their giant city limits ...same with Winnipeg.

Miami airport too represents the city quite well.

Vancouver airport ....as mentioned before ...is not in Vancouver....
it is on an island in Richmond, BC
That would like if London airport was located at South End on Sea.
And I agree ....Vancouver City Hall would be great if it had 1981-2010 data.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM

5,730 posts, read 3,508,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No one is trying to compare our beaches worldwide in this thread in the way you might imagine. Although beaches aren't just for swimming and Canada has many stunning beaches.

No one is saying we are tropical.

What this thread is about is " Setting the record straight about Canadian Weather ".

It ventured to beaches, and how usable are they in Canada. I've met a lot of people who can't put SUMMER, BEACHES and CANADA together.

So I am helping to " Set the record straight " that in Canada, there are amazingly beautiful beaches where people swim, sunbathe, play volleyball, have BBQ's, surf, paddle-board, skim board, build sandcastles, and even run around naked, just like people do on beaches all over the world.

Also if you narrow the use of beaches as year round hot tropical places, of course Canada can't compete. However as far as our beaches paling in comparison, I'd have to disagree. It's just that most of the world is very ignorant about Canada.

Now if you want to talk about the beauty of seeing someone cross-country skiing along a snow covered beach, then well, Jamaica, loses out

Plage de la Grande Échoueries, Quebec

Chesterman's Beach, British Columbia

I could go on and on, since Canada does have the world's longest coastline.

I hope you enjoy these photo's as well.
I was in Tofino this past Autumn. Beautiful scenery and an absolutely very special part of the world.

The weather was far nicer than Edmonton in November but still not conducive to developing an overall beach culture. Obviously nobody was out swimming, sunbathing, playing volleyball, having BBQs, or building sandcastles. Not sure if that would happen in the summer.

I can say there were only a very few people surfing. This despite Autumn apparently being (high season for year for surfing in Tofino). Maybe the swell was off--who knows. Overalll though the beaches are just a very small part of the scene--there are many far more appealing things to see and do.

I stand by my opinion that Canadian beaches pale in comparison to the rest of the world. Would I think differently had I visited in summer? I don't think so: Canada remains a nation defined by winter. The summers are just too short for beaches to be a thing; the warmth is too fleeting and the water too threatening.

I posted these photos in another thread but I thought I should post them here too.

Wickaninish Beach

Chesterman Beach

Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
London Heathrow to me is in London...I know some will disagree...B87
Technically it is within the border of London, but it's mostly surrounded by grassland, fields and lakes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather