Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:50 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I dont think so, even in NYC snow in April is very rare. I never remember April snow when I was in middle or high school
April snow is not rare, in fact it's common. It has snowed in NYC many years in April. Only 11 yrs out of 126 yrs of records it hasn't. That's 25%. That means 75% of the years it has! It snows in April.

Now if you want to see the drop off with accumulating snows... there's a difference.

Only 6 of 126 yrs had over 6". But getting half foot of snow any month is special let alone April.

15 of the years accumulated to 2 inches or more.

Rare? NO WAY! It's common to see snow falling and even accumulating in NYC in April.

Don't forget 2 things......

1. It can snow for hours but only accumulate 1/2", we saw that in Philly this past April, while the suburbs got a couple inches. Also saw Atlantic city beach get 4" of snow while the airport 1" .

2. Just because 1 station says it hasn't, it doesn't mean the area surrounding that station didn't. Wish we had more stations around to show this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 02:11 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
April snow is not rare, in fact it's common. It has snowed in NYC many years in April. Only 11 yrs out of 126 yrs of records it hasn't. That's 25%. That means 75% of the years it has! It snows in April.

Now if you want to see the drop off with accumulating snows... there's a difference.

Only 6 of 126 yrs had over 6". But getting half foot of snow any month is special let alone April.

15 of the years accumulated to 2 inches or more.

Rare? NO WAY! It's common to see snow falling and even accumulating in NYC in April.

Don't forget 2 things......

1. It can snow for hours but only accumulate 1/2", we saw that in Philly this past April, while the suburbs got a couple inches. Also saw Atlantic city beach get 4" of snow while the airport 1" .

2. Just because 1 station says it hasn't, it doesn't mean the area surrounding that station didn't. Wish we had more stations around to show this.
That sounds suspicious, according to now data Raleigh has had 20 Januaries that saw 0 inches of snow and another 34 that saw T so a total of 54 Januaries of the last 130 years have seen only trace or less of snow. So that fact made me suspicious that nyc would be snowy as that in april. As for april snow in Raleigh, extremely rare , although according to nowdata 1915 saw 10 inches of snow in april! impossible!!!!

Old 05-08-2016, 02:25 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Only 11 yrs out of 126 yrs of records it hasn't. That's 25%.
That's 9%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
That sounds suspicious, according to now data Raleigh has had 20 Januaries that saw 0 inches of snow and another 34 that saw T so a total of 54 Januaries of the last 130 years have seen only trace or less of snow. So that fact made me suspicious that nyc would be snowy as that in april. As for april snow in Raleigh, extremely rare , although according to nowdata 1915 saw 10 inches of snow in april! impossible!!!!
Yeah, it's hard to believe.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Only 11 yrs out of 126 yrs of records it hasn't. That's 25%. That means 75% of the years it has! It snows in April.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
That's 9%.

Yeah, it's hard to believe.
Not 11... 31 years with 0 recorded in April for snow. That's 25%. I put 11 instead of 34. Thanks. Not hard to believe, check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
You can check yourself. let me know.

A "T" means it was snowing, just wasn't sticking. Like I said, it could be snowing for hours and not stick. You cant count that as "it doesn't snow". Even eliminating the T years, 27 years NYC saw accumulating snow. That alone tells you it DOES snow in April.

Yeah, Raleigh for sure would be a treat for April snow but still, I see 16 yrs had April snow, 10 of those years with a "Trace", that means it snowed all those years and possibly accumulated outside the heated airport somewhere.

Remember April 4, 2013? After one of the warmest winters on record for the area here was the radar and metars. It was snowing in North Carolina and Virginia.

Here's Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. (2000') What did Richmond or Raleigh record that day. Guess.... "A "T". Meanwhile there was accumulating snowstorm in the area.

Obviously just 1 event and a bit west more from RIC and RDU, but point is, it's not hard to snow in April even down to Virginia. Gotta get the right setup. That's all.

Last edited by Cambium; 05-08-2016 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-08-2016, 02:41 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
They have a lot of errors regarding "T" of snow. It shows T in July some years.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Not 11... 31 years with 0 recorded in April for snow. That's 25%. I put 11 instead of 34. Thanks. Not hard to believe, check it.

A "T" means it was snowing, just wasn't sticking. Like I said, it could be snowing for hours and not stick. You cant count that as "it doesn't snow". Even eliminating the T years, 27 years NYC saw accumulating snow. That alone tells you it DOES snow in April.

Yeah, Raleigh for sure would be a treat for April snow but still, I see 16 yrs had April snow, 10 of those years with a "Trace", that means it snowed all those years and possibly accumulated outside the heated airport somewhere.

Remember April 4, 2013? After one of the warmest winters on record for the area here was the radar and metars. It was snowing in North Carolina and Virginia.

Here's Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. What did Richmond or Raleigh record that day. Guess. "A "T". Meanwhile there was accumulating snowstorm in the area. Get my point? One location means squat. Snow in April is common to see

Obviously just 1 event, but it's not hard to snow in April even down to Virginia. Gotta get the right setup. That's all.
Lol, under the right conditions it can happen but it is rare to get the right conditions to come together, I do remember 2013, I remember places northwest of here receiving freezing precipitation! Not sure if I got anything this far east though.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
So does wunderground, I believe they record "T" as hail.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Here's Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. (2000') What did Richmond or Raleigh record that day. Guess.... "A "T". Meanwhile there was accumulating snowstorm in the area.

Obviously just 1 event and a bit west more from RIC and RDU, but point is, it's not hard to snow in April even down to Virginia. Gotta get the right setup. That's all.
I used the central park station and 28 of the last 104 Aprils saw no snow, was surprised though how snow was common in April back in the first half of the 20th century, maybe that's why snow seems so rare in april for nyc, accumulating snow has been less and less compared to the past. That's pretty cool, wonder what made Aprils so snowy back in the 1900s compared to now.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah a "T" means sleet as well, you would have to check the hourly observation sheet. Like I said though, even not including any of the Trace years... it still obvious it snows in April. Why people think its rare is beyond me. It's rare for South Carolina, not NYC, Philly or even Virginia..

There's a difference between Rare & Not Common. I wouldn't even call it not common for NYC. How about just "It happens"?. lol

Old 05-08-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah a "T" means sleet as well, you would have to check the hourly observation sheet. Like I said though, even not including any of the Trace years... it still obvious it snows in April. Why people think its rare is beyond me. It's rare for South Carolina, not NYC, Philly or even Virginia..

There's a difference between Rare & Not Common. I wouldn't even call it not common for NYC. How about just "It happens"?. lol
Virginia is a large area, more like its rare for parts of it and others not so much. 15 of the last 130 years in Raleigh have saw Aprils with "T" or more snow for april, that's roughly 11.5% of Aprils, so about 1 in 10, would you say that's rare or uncommon, although looking at places just a bit west of here, april snow becomes far more common, still uncommon but not really rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather