Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Climate A Factor
Yes: Climate Is A Factor 8 80.00%
No: The Cause Is Due To Some Other Factor 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:10 PM

163 posts, read 165,675 times

Advertisements

Look at this map for the sabal palmetto palm, native to the SE US:

Notice how the range goes quite up the Atlantic Coast, yet doesn't extend far along the Gulf Coast; it just, abruptly, terminates at the FL Panhandle, for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

Could this be a matter of climate, wherein the Gulf Coast sees colder temps than the Atlantic? Or is climate not a problem, with the blame, instead, going to some other factor (soil, distribution center distance, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Clearly due to soil. The Gulf Coast is slightly warmer and wetter, and sabal palms that have been introduced there thrive.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,934 times
Considering that Savannah is quite a bit more prone to extreme cold in winter than Pensacola is, I'm going to guess it has something to do with soil instead.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Why isn't it growing on Cape Hatteras anymore I wonder, that place is a zone 9a climate.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Why isn't it growing on Cape Hatteras anymore I wonder, that place is a zone 9a climate.
They do . Sabal maximum range goes much farther inland and all over many states as well but maybe it was an original map of native range. The Sabal is a beast, can handle hurricanes, tropical storms, and high winds, fire, cold, I love strong trees like this, one of my favorites. It can handle various soils as well.

There is nothing in the world like the sound of wind through a sabal palm especially on a gorgeous beach at night. The sound of the ocean tide, moonlight and stars, warm sand and wind through a sabal palm. I love the whole sabal genus but the sabal palmetto is just amazing

Last edited by floridanative10; 09-14-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
They do . Sabal maximum range goes much farther inland and all over many states as well but maybe it was an original map of native range. The Sabal is a beast, can handle hurricanes, tropical storms, and high winds, fire, cold, I love strong trees like this, one of my favorites. It can handle various soils as well.

There is nothing in the world like the sound of wind through a sabal palm especially on a gorgeous beach at night. The sound of the ocean tide, moonlight and stars, warm sand and wind through a sabal palm. I love the whole sabal genus but the sabal palmetto is just amazing
Yes, it's native range is into NC along/near the coast.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
Considering that Savannah is quite a bit more prone to extreme cold in winter than Pensacola is, I'm going to guess it has something to do with soil instead.
Quite a bit might be an exaggeration ...january record cold temp for
Savannah is 3F.....Pensacola it is 5F
Savannah Beach probably about matches Pensacola.

Ultimately climate/temps are a significant factor limiting the range of Sabal Palmetto
northward but not westward, that must be something else, certainly not temps.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:40 PM

795 posts, read 740,077 times
Climate is always a factor. What you should be wondering instead is which other factors affect the range of the palm.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:21 PM

163 posts, read 165,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
Climate is always a factor. What you should be wondering instead is which other factors affect the range of the palm.
What climactic differences would exist between the far SE US, and the Gulf Coast to the west?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,333,111 times
This is from Wikimedia commons about maximum range of Sabal palmetto. Understanding how its not tender and how very strong the sabal palm is , seems much more accurate for a range, maybe not non-native range but it certainly is a powerful palm.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather