Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 02:32 PM

174 posts, read 214,084 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Nashville and I've lived in Houston and Houston is definitely a LOT more humid. Basically, it's like you're always in a fishtank in the summer months. If you're just planning to be outside in the pool or at the beach it's quite nice, but not-so-pleasant if you're trying to accomplish anything or have work to do outside. If you do, you learn to always have an extra shirt and a towel nearby. People have told me the humidity is good for your skin, though, and there may be something to that; I've seen people in their 80s here who still have very smooth, youthful-looking skin (as long as they haven't been in the habit of tanning, which is evidenced by leathery, lizard-like skin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 04:51 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Just had the same situation here. Made it up to 91 a couple days ago but it felt better than the muggy 80 today.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 29,686 times
I do not know how true this is but i've heard that high humidity partly blocks your sweat pores making the cooling of the body more difficult. Does sound logic but again i do not know.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:46 PM

124 posts, read 202,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks for the dates and location. Easy to check things. As others have said, Humidity indicator is pointless and useless. Look at the dewpoint number.

Lets take a look..

June 1st as you said, Temp was 91° with humidity 38% but look at the dewpoint...Low 60s.

Now look at the next day, As you said .. June 2nd Temp was 84°, Humidity near 60% .. Look at the dewpoint... Mid to Upper 60s! This is why it felt worse. Dew points were higher, it was muggier.

There's a dew point thread you might be interested in.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...nt-thread.html

And as far as positing graphics, everyone has their preferences but you can use this for a start.

Hope this post helped. I'm the same way. I can tolerate 90s and dry better than 80s and muggy!
Well that explains a lot. Thanks

Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
I'll take 100 with low humidity over high humidity and cooler any day.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:13 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I've lived in Nashville and I've lived in Houston and Houston is definitely a LOT more humid. Basically, it's like you're always in a fishtank in the summer months. If you're just planning to be outside in the pool or at the beach it's quite nice, but not-so-pleasant if you're trying to accomplish anything or have work to do outside. If you do, you learn to always have an extra shirt and a towel nearby. People have told me the humidity is good for your skin, though, and there may be something to that; I've seen people in their 80s here who still have very smooth, youthful-looking skin (as long as they haven't been in the habit of tanning, which is evidenced by leathery, lizard-like skin).
And I guess Nashville is far from being dry either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather