Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rating?
A 3 16.67%
B 5 27.78%
C 4 22.22%
D 3 16.67%
F 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:18 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Man are you ever gullible. You really thought that was the worst winter Raleigh ever had. Well, you weren't around in 1977 but here you go.

Raleigh, Jan 1977
Avg high 37.4F
Avg low 15.7F

low temp that month -1F. 6 days did not go above freezing, and 2.1 inches of snow.

Let me just say about the only thing that matches in an avg winter around here is the snow, and maybe the ice days. Our avg Jan high/low is 40.3F/25.6F, so no where near an average winter around here. Your area looks no different than here in the winter except for a couple more evergreens scattered about. And oops I forgot your grass is a brown hay looking stuff, unlike here.

You might want to get used to winters like that again when the warm AMO goes bye bye.
Tom. You feeling alright?. . Most grass is actually fairly green in winter. Especially in suburban neighborhoods. No house is complete without evergreens either. You won't find a single house without some sort of evergreens. I have camellias, hollies, Gardenias which is something you can't grow. Not too mention there are quite a bit of evergreens in the forest. Nothing too little, but certainly noticeable. Not too mention that windmill palms are not a struggle here like in philly. .....oh we also grow sabals, Pindos, and sagos. And some date palms and Washingtonias with some protection. Philly and Raleigh are not the same level. I agree though we have the same climate regime, but not same level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 06:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Tom. You feeling alright?. . Most grass is actually fairly green in winter. Especially in suburban neighborhoods. No house is complete without evergreens either. You won't find a single house without some sort of evergreens. I have camellias, hollies, Gardenias which is something you can't grow. Not too mention there are quite a bit of evergreens in the forest. Nothing too little, but certainly noticeable. Not too mention that windmill palms are not a struggle here like in philly. .....oh we also grow sabals, Pindos, and sagos. And some date palms and Washingtonias with some protection. Philly and Raleigh are not the same level. I agree though we have the same climate regime, but not same level.
If you remember my thread, I stated that both Philadelphia and Raleigh were Humid Temperate Hot Summer (though Raleigh was on the Subtropical border), but are at opposite ends. Philly in the cold part and Raleigh in the warm part.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:28 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Any pics to prove that? When I lived in North GA (very similar climate ro Raleigh) the grass was definitely brown during winter. Not even in Tallahassee did I see much green grass in winter.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Man are you ever gullible. You really thought that was the worst winter Raleigh ever had. Well, you weren't around in 1977 but here you go.

Raleigh, Jan 1977
Avg high 37.4F
Avg low 15.7F

low temp that month -1F. 6 days did not go above freezing, and 2.1 inches of snow.

Let me just say about the only thing that matches in an avg winter around here is the snow, and maybe the ice days. Our avg Jan high/low is 40.3F/25.6F, so no where near an average winter around here. Your area looks no different than here in the winter except for a couple more evergreens scattered about. And oops I forgot your grass is a brown hay looking stuff, unlike here.

You might want to get used to winters like that again when the warm AMO goes bye bye.
Lol, where did he say he picked Raleigh's coldest months? He said their best months, not coldest.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:48 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Any pics to prove that? When I lived in North GA (very similar climate ro Raleigh) the grass was definitely brown during winter. Not even in Tallahassee did I see much green grass in winter.
I think it's a difference between warm and cool season grasses. Warm season grasses turn brown in winter, while cool season grasses can turn brown in summer if they aren't watered enough (they can also turn brown in winter, but usually only in colder climates). More detail is described here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn#Grasses

Where I live, some grass stays green all winter and some turns brown.
I don't have many good grass pictures, but here is green grass in January 2016.

And here is brown grass in March 2015.

Quote:
You do realize that each of these months I mentioned was among the coldest five on record, right? If we had a year where we got to 2 F or colder I doubt many of those plants you mentioned would survive. The fact is we haven't gone below 7 F since 2000, but from 1962-85, 13 out of 24 years had sub-7 F temps, and a repeat of that would probably cause many of those plants to die.

Last edited by srfoskey; 06-07-2016 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I think it's a difference between warm and cool season grasses. Warm season grasses turn brown in winter, while cool season grasses can turn brown in summer if they aren't watered enough (they can also turn brown in winter, but usually only in colder climates). More detail is described here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn#Grasses

Wasn't January 2016 right after the warmest December on record though? Do you have any pics from after a December that was closer to average?

I didn't think the grasses there and in North GA would be different at all. I really didn't see much, if any, green grass there in winter.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If you remember my thread, I stated that both Philadelphia and Raleigh were Humid Temperate Hot Summer (though Raleigh was on the Subtropical border), but are at opposite ends. Philly in the cold part and Raleigh in the warm part.
Your system is fine. I just don't have a problem with koepenns system. People get mad when say NYC and Orlando are in the same climate type. In reality both generally have the same patterns. That's how scientific climate classification should be, based on weather patterns that dominate. Subtropical is so highly contested in the east coast. No one wants DC to NYC to be considered Subtropical, when in reality nothing other than Temps changed between NYC and Jacksonville fl.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Wasn't January 2016 right after the warmest December on record though? Do you have any pics from after a December that was closer to average?

I didn't think the grasses there and in North GA would be different at all. I really didn't see much, if any, green grass there in winter.
I have some pics. But they are from december. Generally speaking though suburban landscapes have green grass, more industrial, commercial type landscapes will have more dead brown grass. The cool weather grass is burned out now and brown down here. I doubt are grass and North GA will be different either.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Your system is fine. I just don't have a problem with koepenns system. People get mad when say NYC and Orlando are in the same climate type. In reality both generally have the same patterns. That's how scientific climate classification should be, based on weather patterns that dominate. Subtropical is so highly contested in the east coast. No one wants DC to NYC to be considered Subtropical, when in reality nothing other than Temps changed between NYC and Jacksonville fl.
I find that the climate in NC changes between the Piedmont and Coastal Plain, in my system the subtropical parts of NC are south of US 64 from Kill Devil Hills to Rocky Mount, then in a diagonal line between Rocky Mount and Rock Hill, SC

Old 06-07-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post

You do realize that each of these months I mentioned was among the coldest five on record, right? If we had a year where we got to 2 F or colder I doubt many of those plants you mentioned would survive. The fact is we haven't gone below 7 F since 2000, but from 1962-85, 13 out of 24 years had sub-7 F temps, and a repeat of that would probably cause many of those plants to die.
Those years were quite exceptional. Raleigh weather records go back to 1890 I believe, no other 30 year period was like that. I do realize those are among the coldest. We have been lucky to an end of that crappy cold period. Also a repeat of those decades would kill only sabal palmetto, and some gardenias and Pindo palms and sagos. Basically the more marginal stuff. People still planted windmill palms in the 60s. There are some old ones in downtown Charlotte in an influential neighborhood that were planted way back in the 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather