Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Once it gets into the 90s F I begin to overheat. I couldn't imagine being in weather this hot. According to Accuweather at 9:30 was 103 F with a real feel of 100 F. Yikes...I'd rather have the brutally cold winters. It's easier to stay warm than cool down, and you aren't trapped inside until it gets really, really cold (like single digits or sub-zero fahrenheit).

Yeah...bundle up and build a fire. The UP is the worse. It's like a high altitude winter without the high altitude. When it wasn't below zero it was snowing. I think there was 10 feet of snow and a median temp in the low teens/upper 0s during that winter...and it was a mild winter!

Very true. It's really any car. Living in CT you've probably noticed when it gets colder your car accelerates better.

Only the crazies would be outside, especially physical activities. 5 hikers died over the weekend because of the heat.
https://weather.com/weather/alerts/l...=KPSR&etn=0002

Atlanta is a terrible example. Any amount of snow in any sunbelt city is going to cause disruptions. They had four inches of snow and it was armageddon. Those winter days that disrupt life up north are free vacation day(s).

Newer cars don't need to be warmed before driving, the time it takes to clean the car off is a little more time than it takes to precool a car (run the A/C) and put on sunblock, shovelling snow is great exercise (but most people have snow blowers), and with the sun down there I'd imagine a light scarf/handkerchief and a hat would be a good idea. Nobody wears a bulky coat until it gets sub-zero fahrenheit (it's all about layering...I can get away with a fleece and a thick hoody into the upper 10s F if it is sunny, there is no wind, and I'm wearing two pairs of socks) and gloves aren't a big deal.
I can't really handle anything under 40°, and anything under 60° is uncomfortable for me, on the flip side, when I worked construction, as long as it didn't rain, you had to work, so in the Jun 08 Heat Wave, where it was 111-115 for about 12 days straight, we were out there working. I will still take that over the northeast/midwest winters any day. Even in a down parka and gloves, anything under 40°F/+4.4°C still freezes me, even through the clothes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
People lived in Southern Arizona and the Middle East without AC before electricity (which meant no electric fans either!) and stayed in their clay build homes during the day (designed to keep things cooler inside) and mostly went out in the early mornings or after dark
Reading about life in the tenements in NYC in the 1800's/early 1900's, during summer heat waves, they'd all go up to the roof, rap their bodies with a wet sheet, and all say Good Night! The roof would be wall-to-wall with people trying to cool off!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Reading about life in the tenements in NYC in the 1800's/early 1900's, during summer heat waves, they'd all go up to the roof, rap their bodies with a wet sheet, and all say Good Night! The roof would be wall-to-wall with people trying to cool off!
That's because building in New York are designed to keep cold out, not to deal with heat mitigation, it's even worse in Chicago

Old 06-22-2016, 06:49 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQKing View Post
****ing freezing here with well below avg temps in the forecast, we don't need global colding thanks
How unusual is a high below 50F (10C) in Melbourne? They're forecasting a 9C high on Friday.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Don't know how anyone could live in that place. I was there when it was 110 years ago and they were telling me it was "dry heat". My reply was it is hurting my lungs, so you can have your dry heat!

Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I'm in the Phoenix area (have been here a LONG, long time).
Now please post the news links about the young, healthy hikers who died in the heat. Wasn't it 4 of them - different areas? Or, post about the idiots who left their pets outside with no shade or water and died in the heat. Don't downplay the dangers of our heat. It IS HOT here, and it can be deadly. Be thankful we haven't had major power outages....and that you A/C unit is still chugging along.

BTW, schools were closed here because it was Sunday.
Your implied argument is a classic example of a false equivalence. So 4 hikers dying is an example of risk that is equivalent to harsh winter conditions? Do you really want to compare the numbers; how about referencing all the homeless who die in cold weather cities that died in emergency rooms and are unaccounted for? Those Phoenix hikers CHOSE to hike during this time and died because they didn't carry water or didn't have enough water. That is a far cry from a person driving to work who dies in a traffic fatality due to winter road conditions which is a much more common occurrence and not one that can really be avoided.

BTW the heat wave occurred on Sunday AND Monday and the schools were not closed on Monday.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-22-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post

Only the crazies would be outside, especially physical activities. 5 hikers died over the weekend because of the heat.
https://weather.com/weather/alerts/l...=KPSR&etn=0002

Atlanta is a terrible example. Any amount of snow in any sunbelt city is going to cause disruptions. They had four inches of snow and it was armageddon. Those winter days that disrupt life up north are free vacation day(s).

Newer cars don't need to be warmed before driving, the time it takes to clean the car off is a little more time than it takes to precool a car (run the A/C) and put on sunblock, shovelling snow is great exercise (but most people have snow blowers), and with the sun down there I'd imagine a light scarf/handkerchief and a hat would be a good idea. Nobody wears a bulky coat until it gets sub-zero fahrenheit (it's all about layering...I can get away with a fleece and a thick hoody into the upper 10s F if it is sunny, there is no wind, and I'm wearing two pairs of socks) and gloves aren't a big deal.
Obviously, you don't live in the Phoenix area. The reason the temperatures are so high is due to the lack of moisture in the air. However, heat and humidity are what lead to heat related deaths and it's why most heat stroke victims are in the southeastern United States not the Southwest. Humidity and heat hampers your body's ability to cool itself through perspiring and evaporation of the sweat. When there is increased vapor in the air (high humidity), your body's ability to draw off the heat is impaired and can lead to heat stroke. Regarding cooling my car, I have never had to pre-start my car and then get it in it 10 minutes later to drive. I had to do that multiple times when I lived in Boston and Chicago. And not having to put snow chains on your tires is a plus too.

I have a swimming pool and was swimming during that heat. We had water and enjoyed ourselves. People were active in the morning and night. During the hottest point of the day, people were indoors.

And the example regarding Atlanta is merely one. I could have chose a myriad of examples. I was in Philadelphia on Valentines Day weekend in Feburary of 2003 and the city was litereally shut down. Trains didn't leave. The airport was closed. There were no cars running on the streets in downtown Philly. You were literally shut indoors. Sorry but nothing like that even remotely happened on Monday when it was 118 degrees; life went on as normal.

Heat doesn't disrupt your life in the same manner that cold does. This is why so many people from cold climates move to Phoenix despite the heat. They understand their winter is far worse than our worst summer.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-22-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 11:00 AM

198 posts, read 189,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Obviously, you don't live in the Phoenix area. The reason the temperatures are so high is due to the lack of moisture in the air. However, heat and humidity are what lead to heat related deaths and it's why most heat stroke victims are in the southeastern United States not the Southwest. Humidity and heat hampers your body's ability to cool itself through perspiring and evaporation of the sweat. When there is increased vapor in the air (high humidity), your body's ability to draw off the heat is impaired and can lead to heat stroke. Regarding cooling my car, I have never had to pre-start my car and then get it in it 10 minutes later to drive. I had to do that multiple times when I lived in Boston and Chicago. And not having to put snow chains on your tires is a plus too.
Dry heat allows the body to cool efficiently, yes, but the levels of heat seen in the lower elevation areas of the SW US are just far too extreme to offer anything close to comfort. The SE US is humid, but not nearly as hot.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
The southeast has a lot more people than the southwest, too.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:09 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times
This morning was the 3rd morning in a row that the low failed to drop below 90 F in Phoenix. Today is expected to be the 4th day in a row where the high is at 110 F or above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather