Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:00 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

All cons just about.

Dry summers for me.
Insane dewpoints thanks to a never ending reverse west wind flow blowing off of 90 degree gulf temps during the core summer months.

Solid sunshine that makes my A/C run non stop.

Boring warm winters.

Only pro i can think of is no snow or ice on the roads or super cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 08:09 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
A massive con of living in Sweden: The positioning of the weather stations! It's absolutely ridiculous. For example, the one in Oxelösund is out on the Femöre peninsula, causing unrepresentative summer highs and lows for the rest of the peninsula and the Greater Nyköping conurbation. It's madness. As well, Jönköping has its station at the airport like 100 m asl higher than the city centre! Weather stations related to a city should be urban or suburban and in similar circumstances to the city. A weather reading from Oxelösund's station is largely irrelevant because the city is 0.5 C different on so many occasions. Granted, it's more maritime in Oxelösund's inner core than in Nyköping Municipality, but not to that big of a difference.
Haha, on the 16th this month, there was a lot of rain in Umeå, melting all of the small amount of snow left. However, just a few kilometers outside of Umeå, that same precipitation fell as snow, so SMHI thought Umeå increased its snowdepth by like 10-20cm instead. The snow/rain line can be quite singnificant...

This also makes me remember that whole Uppsala conundrum. I figured out why Uppsala has such high temperatures for its location. It's because it doesn't have its own airport, which puts the weather station inside the actual city unlike a lot of other cities its size. That means it actually represents the UHI of the city more so than other cities.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:41 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times
Quote:
A massive con of living in Sweden: The positioning of the weather stations! It's absolutely ridiculous. For example, the one in Oxelösund is out on the Femöre peninsula, causing unrepresentative summer highs and lows for the rest of the peninsula and the Greater Nyköping conurbation. It's madness. As well, Jönköping has its station at the airport like 100 m asl higher than the city centre! Weather stations related to a city should be urban or suburban and in similar circumstances to the city. A weather reading from Oxelösund's station is largely irrelevant because the city is 0.5 C different on so many occasions. Granted, it's more maritime in Oxelösund's inner core than in Nyköping Municipality, but not to that big of a difference.
Yeah, but is that unique to Sweden? Seems pretty common.

In Trondheim, the station Trondheim-Voll has for some time been the only station in the city, and Voll is situated 127 m asl in a mostly residential area, while the city center is at 10 m asl, so nearly a 120 m difference in elevation.
Although the airport, Værnes, is the climate reference station for the region, and not that far from Trondheim.

Some web pages use Oslo Airport Gardermoen for Oslo. While Oslo is situated by a fjord, with city center ca 20 m asl, Gardermoen is some 40 km inland and at 202 m asl! Winter months are ca 3C colder at Gardermoen and summer months ca 1.3C colder. And that is compared with Oslo-Blindern, which itself is 94 m asl and not at all in the city centre.

Ålesund Airport Vigra (22 m) is often used for Ålesund, like in Wikipedia. Vigra is situated on a flat island in the open sea and must have colder lows in summer, while I guess winters are fairly similar. This can be verified: Since 2009 a new weather station (Nørve, 15 m) startet operating much closer to the city. June 2016 mean was 1.2C warmer at Nørve than at Vigra, July 2016 was 0.7C warmer, this is probably mostly due to warmer highs at Nørve. Winter months are virtually identical at the two stations in 2016.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Here, the nearest weather station is Leeds Bradford Airport, but it's, what, 210 m asl? So it's not at all representative of Leeds. The other nearest station to here I think is Bramham Park, but it's not automatic so you can't see max or mins, just hourly data on certain websites which isn't much use.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:37 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,506 times
Pros:
A huge amount of variety. Try to think of a weather phenomenon my area can't experience. I could only think of one (hurricane).
Thunderstorms are nice

Cons:
Too hot in summer
Too dry in summer
Too humid in summer

Winters are too warm during the day (night temperatures are fine though)
Too dry in winter (but by a much smaller margin than in summer)
Not enough snow
Spring is too long
Autumn length is good but it needs to both start and end earlier

Old 11-19-2016, 11:11 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Haha, on the 16th this month, there was a lot of rain in Umeå, melting all of the small amount of snow left. However, just a few kilometers outside of Umeå, that same precipitation fell as snow, so SMHI thought Umeå increased its snowdepth by like 10-20cm instead. The snow/rain line can be quite singnificant...

This also makes me remember that whole Uppsala conundrum. I figured out why Uppsala has such high temperatures for its location. It's because it doesn't have its own airport, which puts the weather station inside the actual city unlike a lot of other cities its size. That means it actually represents the UHI of the city more so than other cities.
That's also true for Falun! It was the only place to record a 35C reading during the 2014 heat wave, something that seems totally unreasonable that other places wouldn't do, but its airport is in Borlänge and its weather station is urban!

For example, Örebro Airport recorded 33.7C that day. I can safely say that it was above 34 in the suburban area I lived though (what a friggin heat wall) and likely upwards towards the high 34's in the inner core...

Same goes for Stockholm that has its weather station inside the UHI. That January lows have been -3C for the last 25 years sounds ridiculous but it's true inside that small perimeter.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
That's also true for Falun! It was the only place to record a 35C reading during the 2014 heat wave, something that seems totally unreasonable that other places wouldn't do, but its airport is in Borlänge and its weather station is urban!

For example, Örebro Airport recorded 33.7C that day. I can safely say that it was above 34 in the suburban area I lived though (what a friggin heat wall) and likely upwards towards the high 34's in the inner core...

Same goes for Stockholm that has its weather station inside the UHI. That January lows have been -3C for the last 25 years sounds ridiculous but it's true inside that small perimeter.
Stockholm has a weather station at Bromma too, I'd use that if I lived in Stockholm.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:14 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Yeah, but is that unique to Sweden? Seems pretty common.
No, it is not. For maritime purposes many stations are situated on small peninsulas or lighthouses, also in Finland. But unlike Sweden, we are at least trying to place a new weather station where it represents the city.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:15 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Here, the nearest weather station is Leeds Bradford Airport, but it's, what, 210 m asl? So it's not at all representative of Leeds. The other nearest station to here I think is Bramham Park, but it's not automatic so you can't see max or mins, just hourly data on certain websites which isn't much use.
Yeah Met Office absolutely suck in that regard. No weather stations in urban Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Aberdeen et cetera is absolutely ridiculous. I also wonder what the climate may be in Plymouth's easterly, sheltered, low-lying suburbs compared to the harbour, but no one ever gave that a thought.

Stupid MetOffice!

Old 11-19-2016, 11:18 AM

Yes, they suck. Crappy station coverage and no awesome data sets like NOAA or Environment Canada. Open stations in the middle of nowhere for 100 villagers but a station for big cities is too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather