Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Now that might just be a reasonable explanation .... at last. Combine that with a pleasant summer sun, and there might be no real need for them over there.

That can happen here at times, but more typically, rain comes down heavy and without wind.
Lol, I literally made that same point on the last page.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:25 PM

699 posts, read 369,002 times
Rain must must burn New Zealanders skin.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
Yes you've hit it on the nail Joe!
It goes with the stoicism and shoebox in t' middle of road culture over there.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I don't think I even own an umbrella. Most of my jackets have hoods and have relative rain resistance though. I guess that's because I am a hiker.
That's the one crappy thing about rainy season here, it happens when it's hot/humid so wearing a hoodie when it's raining makes you far too hot. I usually just stick it out, no umbrella or hoodie lol.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Rain must must burn New Zealanders skin.
Nope, but most of us don't feel a need to embrace the elements when shopping.

You guys put your history first -good for you... I guess.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:29 PM

699 posts, read 369,002 times
Quote:
Nope, but most of don't feel a need to embrace the elements when shopping.
We stick it out as its just a minor inconvenience for us only when its really chucking it down with rain (or ice) you see people run for cover. Most of us have hoods or umbrellas.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:33 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
That's the one crappy thing about rainy season here, it happens when it's hot/humid so wearing a hoodie when it's raining makes you far too hot. I usually just stick it out, no umbrella or hoodie lol.
Last year I bought some kind of very light soft shell, which serves as a hoodie and has some rain protection. It is perfect when it's too warm / muggy to wear an actual rain jacket, but it's raining too much for the hoodie to be useful. It is very useful here for the odd summer cool evening or for late spring / early fall. I guess some people wear this for running since it is super breathable and very light-weight.

In any case here it's more useful to wear soft shells over rain shells since it does not really rain all that often and when it does it's often heavy rain one day and that's it. It is more useful to have something for the humidity though, the cotton jackets are often too cool in 100% RH cloudy days in the fall, and the rainjacket is never as breathable as the soft shell.

I reckon in Florida I'd just get soaked in the rain and wait to dry if it rains at 28c. Or maybe pack an umbrella.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
We stick it out as its just a minor inconvenience for us only when its really chucking it down with rain (or ice) you see people run for cover. Most of us have hoods or umbrellas.
So people don't try to get out of light/moderate rain over there.?

Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Last year I bought some kind of very light soft shell, which serves as a hoodie and has some rain protection. It is perfect when it's too warm / muggy to wear an actual rain jacket, but it's raining too much for the hoodie to be useful. It is very useful here for the odd summer cool evening or for late spring / early fall. I guess some people wear this for running since it is super breathable and very light-weight.

In any case here it's more useful to wear soft shells over rain shells since it does not really rain all that often and when it does it's often heavy rain one day and that's it. It is more useful to have something for the humidity though, the cotton jackets are often too cool in 100% RH cloudy days in the fall, and the rainjacket is never as breathable as the soft shell.

I reckon in Florida I'd just get soaked in the rain and wait to dry if it rains at 28c. Or maybe pack an umbrella.
I don't actually own any rain gear -just polar fleeces and woolen jerseys. When it rains heavy, I think it's best just to get wet, and then it doesn't get any worse.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
I don't actually own any rain gear -just polar fleeces and woolen jerseys. When it rains heavy, I think it's best just to get wet, and then it doesn't get any worse.
I would definitely have rain gear if I lived in NZ !

I don't know, I think it just comes to going in the Alps since I was able to walk. The weather can change rapidly up there, and if you don't have the right stuff, you're in a bad situation. I also like to get out in the rain. It should be an inconvenience. Just be ready.

Of course living in the city is completely different as to go on a mountain hike in the wild, but ever since I moved here I have been obsessed with having the right clothing because of the different climate and not understanding what to wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather