Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
How many American downtowns have you visited? You paint the entire country with a broad brush and come off as the typical, out of touch urban elitist. There are many charming downtowns here in NJ, as well as PA, Upstate NY, and New England. That barely scratches the surface. I'm not going to make some snobby judgement about a place like Iowa because I've never been there. You need to get out of your NYC bubble before making such grand statements.
NYC, Boston, Atlanta, as well as a bunch of smaller cities in the NY metro area

Just because you've never personally been to a place doesn't mean you can't form an opinion about it, especially if you have done sufficient research. Let's be honest, Des Moines is not exactly Manhattan when it comes to Downtown vibrancy and urbanity. A quick search on Google Street Views will reveal a Downtown that is all of five, maybe six blocks long, surrounded by factories and sketchy parking lots on all sides. Even tiny White Plains has a better downtown than that. Let's be honest, Des Moines and most of the Midwest (aside from Chicago and maybe Minneapolis) seems like a series of Secaucuses that nobody really cares about or pays attention to

Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
He currently lives in upstate New York doesn't he? If he doesn't like it there then I can't imagine him liking places like Iowa.

It isn't elitist to dislike certain places. It's just preference. If you like big cities with dense cores, then you probably won't like Des Moines or Boise.
That's fine, but he is coming off as pretentious. To say he would rather live in Yemen than Indiana or Iowa is pretty extreme. Many of these smaller cities across the country are still economic powerhouses full of culture with museums, symphony orchestras, concert halls, theaters, restaurants, festivals, parks, universities etc.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
He currently lives in upstate New York doesn't he? If he doesn't like it there then I can't imagine him liking places like Iowa.

It isn't elitist to dislike certain places. It's just preference. If you like big cities with dense cores, then you probably won't like Des Moines or Boise. Likewise, if you hate crowded places, you won't like NYC.
I just go to college in Upstate NY, thankfully. I guess it takes living in a small town to discover you're not a small town person. And it's not like New York is the only city I ever talk about, I also give lots of praise to cities like Boston or Buenos Aires or Lima

Old 06-19-2017, 05:38 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,928,235 times
I'very never been to NYC. I aways imagined it with the famous gritty old-fashioned feel to it made famous by Hollywood. Is it actually like that? Apart from the poorer neighbourhoods, it sounds like a metro, urban elitist area full of hipsters.

I think the new WTC reflects a movement in that direction, it looks out of character. It doesn't look like it belongs in New York.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
NYC, Boston, Atlanta, as well as a bunch of smaller cities in the NY metro area

Just because you've never personally been to a place doesn't mean you can't form an opinion about it, especially if you have done sufficient research. Let's be honest, Des Moines is not exactly Manhattan when it comes to Downtown vibrancy and urbanity. A quick search on Google Street Views will reveal a Downtown that is all of five, maybe six blocks long, surrounded by factories and sketchy parking lots on all sides. Even tiny White Plains has a better downtown than that. Let's be honest, Des Moines and most of the Midwest (aside from Chicago and maybe Minneapolis) seems like a series of Secaucuses that nobody really cares about or pays attention to
NYC is overrated, overpriced, and extremely dirty. There is garbage all over the place and I always get a whiff of sewer and horse ****. I get there's a lot going on and it's a good place to see a show or find some unique food (although I can get much better food elsewhere for a much more reasonable price) but there are a million other places around the country and the world that offer similar things.

Des Moines and Manhattan...apples and oranges, but Des Moines probably has a lot more to offer than you give it credit for.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'very never been to NYC. I aways imagined it with the famous gritty old-fashioned feel to it made famous by Hollywood. Is it actually like that? Apart from the poorer neighbourhoods, it sounds like a metro, urban elitist area full of hipsters.

I think the new WTC reflects a movement in that direction, it looks out of character. It doesn't look like it belongs in New York.
Lol. It has 8.5 million inhabitants (approximately 40 Boises) so there are tons of divisions within the city. Essentially...

Manhattan = Lower half is pretentious hipsters/pretentious businessmen. Upper half is very gritty and old-school made up of blacks (not all of them African American) and Dominicans. Has the nicest architecture of any borough

Brooklyn = Northwestern part is pretentious hipsters. Northeastern part is the extremely gritty ghetto part with lots of public housing. Southern part is Orthodox Jewish people and people from the Soviet republics

Queens = Literally a skittles bag of every possible immigrant group imaginable. Very gritty and ugly appearance, but generally very safe with European-level crime rates

The Bronx = Probably what you envision when you think of New York, except replace Italians with Hispanic people. Historically a very awful and depressed part of NYC, but nowadays it has moderate crime levels and is generally not as bad as its reputation suggests

Staten Island = Stereotypical Anytown, USA

Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
How many American downtowns have you visited? You paint the entire country with a broad brush and come off as the typical, out of touch urban elitist. There are many charming downtowns here in NJ, as well as PA, Upstate NY, and New England. That barely scratches the surface. I'm not going to make some snobby judgement about a place like Iowa because I've never been there. You need to get out of your NYC bubble before making such grand statements.
He's exaggerating, but a lot of smaller city US downtowns are rather dead, and just have few people out. Warwarswa visited many places in eastern Europe and Latin America that certainly aren't rich that don't have the issue. He's referring more to a density / sprawl thing than amount of events.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
NYC is overrated, overpriced, and extremely dirty. There is garbage all over the place and I always get a whiff of sewer and horse ****. I get there's a lot going on and it's a good place to see a show or find some unique food (although I can get much better food elsewhere for a much more reasonable price) but there are a million other places around the country and the world that offer similar things.

Des Moines and Manhattan...apples and oranges, but Des Moines probably has a lot more to offer than you give it credit for.
Most major cities are dirty, except Japanese ones. Paris and London definitely aren't renowned for their cleanliness.

I've never been to NYC but have been to London and Paris. I don't want to live in either but there's no denying that they are on a completely different playing field even to cities like Berlin or Madrid. They are immense places. I can certainly understand why people from all over the world want to live there.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,928,235 times
I think the gritty look is what tourists love. I'm a fan, I don't like them trying to pretty it up with glass towers.

Although Times Square has always looked epic tbf.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post

A lot of it is pretty gritty and a much of the architecture is not aesthetically pleasing IMO. The new WTC is a diamond though...beautiful building and memorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather