Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 07:03 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Awww. Our neighbours.

Don't ever change, guys.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Life in Brexit Britain: Huorittelua, nimittelyä ja kylmää tuijotusta: Suomen passi ei auta brexit-Britanniassa, eikä oikeudesta jäädä maahan ole takeita - Ulkomaat - Helsingin Sanomat

"Blond hair, blue eyes and a Finnish passport. This equation was supposed to be an asset in both the UK and elsewhere in the world.

But not longer - at least not brexit UK."

There's approx 20,000 Finns living in the UK, and everyone is wondering who can stay and who cannot. Not even Britain knows.

Leena Halme has lived in the UK for 33 years. She says:

"I haven't encountered hate speech myself, but when I did a cottage reservation in Northern England the landlady replied with an icy silence when she heard I'm from Finland. It was against all proper English behaviour I've learnt. My English husband noticed the same, so I wasn't dreaming".

Halme's Finnish friends have encountered worse. A Finnish teenage daughter has been called a "Polish whore" and another boy had an ice cream thrown at him when he spoke Finnish.

Hanna Drummond from Brighton tells:

"A Finnish friend of mine is a nurse. She was called by the worst curse word there is in the English language and told by a patient to go back home.
The local butcher I frequented told he is delighted about the brexit vote and finally all these foreigners will be thrown out. That's the last time I visited there."

Drummond - like many else - have been asked if she's Polish. When she tells she's from Finland the attitude change usually to much friendlier. Not always, though:

"Last summer we were at a full board location in Portugal, and there were many English families visiting, apparently delighted about brexit. Her daughter Laila found company to play with, but for the parents it was clearly a problem that she was a 'foreigner'. The parents didn't want their children to play with her.
A Polish family at the same place got the same icy attitude. It's unbelievable that English people go with that attitude abroad - to another EU country".

I won't translate anymore. Owen, was this what you wanted? Was it? WAS IT?

Jesus motherfucking christ I'm furious. These ****ing inbred monkey island toothless.... AAAARGH!

I need a break. Relax. Breathe. Not all English persons are like that. Remember that.
I don't have any reason to doubt your sources, but this is so hard to believe (for the UK in the 21st century) that I've had to read it several times over.

I know this kind of stuff happens (including in my country) but in order to put together a list you would normally have to really dig deep, consult lots of people and cover a fairly long period (usually years).

It's not normally the kind of anecdote that "everyone has" offhand like this.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,852,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't have any reason to doubt your sources, but this is so hard to believe (for the UK in the 21st century) that I've had to read it several times over.

I know this kind of stuff happens (including in my country) but in order to put together a list you would normally have to really dig deep, consult lots of people and cover a fairly long period (usually years).

It's not normally the kind of anecdote that "everyone has" offhand like this.
Put the article trough google translate. Helsingin Sanomat is one of the largest newspapers in the Nordic Countries (for long the largest) and known for very high journalistic standards. Their unofficial stance is liberal centre-right.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,626,124 times
And people wonder why I hate living here sometimes. I hate the British. People can deny that Brexit wasn't about racism or xenophobia all they want but they're deluding themselves.

People also wonder why liberals choose to live in a bubble of their own making when so much of the country is a ****hole.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Put the article trough google translate. Helsingin Sanomat is one of the largest newspapers in the Nordic Countries (for long the largest) and known for very high journalistic standards. Their unofficial stance is liberal centre-right.
Yes, I am familiar with that newspaper (by name anyway). That's why I said I had no reason to doubt your source, and that this is unbelievable!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:11 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,346,927 times
That's incredibly ****ed up. Throwing your ice cream at someone because you dont like their nationality? What the hell is wrong with some people?? I swear some of the racists who support Brexit/Trump are overgrown babies

Old 03-07-2017, 08:14 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,842 times
Immigration wasn't the main determining factor in my decision to vote for Brexit, mainly because I don't live in an area that is inundated by migrants. I would've thought that was fairly self-explanatory.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,626,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Immigration wasn't the main determining factor in my decision to vote for Brexit, mainly because I don't live in an area that is inundated by migrants. That's fairly self-explanatory.
Most Leave voters don't live in areas with a lot of immigrants.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,842 times
I'm thinking of changing my bank but can't find a company that offers decent interest rates. I'm mainly looking for a company that will provide me with incentives e.g. cashback/points.

My current bank keeps reducing interest rates year after year (despite the fact that I save sometimes thousands with them) and offer me no incentives.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,346,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Most Leave voters don't live in areas with a lot of immigrants.
Same in the US. Some of Trump's most vital supporters were the white rust belt counties. And obviously not all of them, I think most people voted for him because of his promises to bring manufacturing jobs back, but there is a percentage of people who voted for him just because he would get all the Mexicans and the Mooslems out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather