Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Interesting that obesity rates are much higher for older populations. Not that surprising I'd say.

Here's a map for Europe btw, showing % who are overweight or obese

Not sure how accurate it is, but yes, Brits are fat. Official stats say 24.8% of Brits are obese, 61.7% overweight or obese.
I'm surprised honestly that Italy and Spain are so high, they have a perfect climate for working out year round as well as really dense walkable cities

Old 09-26-2016, 07:01 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's fair to compare obesity to Down Syndrome. One you can control, the other one you can't, you're born with it. No one is born obese.
Depending on one's socioeconomic status, you may be predisposed to obesity, even though you aren't born that way. I just sympathize because I was raised in an unhealthy environment that had junk filled corner stores and Chinese food everywhere, poor supermarkets, and no gyms anywhere nearby. Of course, education (health-wise) and self control is most important, but I know how easy it is to become overweight in that kind of environment.

Quote:
Anyways, from my view it's not just about being fat, it's the people who constantly make excuses. They do absolutely nothing about their condition. They sit around doing nothing about it, feeling sorry for themselves and expecting sympathy simply for being fat. I guess since I was fat once and I lost 90 lbs in one year and continue to make efforts to stay healthy, I just don't like excuses. It's a lot more respectful to just be real and straight up about it, and say "you know what? I'm fat because I don't exercise enough and eat too much." rather than make up BS excuses.
90lbs in a year is very impressive, I know it was difficult. I've been stuck at the same weight (185-190lbs) for awhile now lol, don't know if I want to take it down a bit or go up (bulk), probably the latter.

But everyone that's overweight/obese doesn't necessarily hate the way they look or feel, many people wear their weight well. When people hear the word obese they think of the bedridden individuals on My 600lb Life, those are only the most extreme cases.

Quote:
Funny how people condemn drug addicts, yet being obese is perfectly fine. They're both the same exact thing, one is being addicted to a drug and do other one is being addicted to food. They're both coping mechanisms.
Drug addicts are harshly condemned. More could be done for addicts and obesity, but as long as there's profit to be made off of both I don't see much changing anytime soon.

Quote:
Some people need a bit of shaming and a bit of fire under their ass to get motivated and going. I'm not saying being rude about it, but some people need some cold, hard truth to get a wake up call. I just don't think babying obese people is really a solution.
Many are rude about it, which I think is counterproductive. Even if they mean well. I think it's fine if you know the person, they might benefit from someone actually trying to help them into a better lifestyle.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
I have a TERRIBLE diet, lots of fast food and I'm pretty sure the last time I ate a vegetable was that time a sorority girl got me to eat one little tree of broccoli this spring... but I've actually been losing weight because my university's on a hill.

When I'm 40, I'm going to miss these days of my earliest class being at 11:00 am, having the energy of a 23 year old, and two-thirds of my friends being sorority girls... At least I'll be able to afford a brand-new, loaded Honda Accord.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:06 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
Also I just realized I have quite a few memories from the 4th of July in 1998. The college freshmen now were usually born between about Sept. 1997 and Sept. 1998. I was talking to some of them the first week of school and one of them didn't even know what dial up internet was.

Geeze, I feel so old.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:23 AM

126 posts, read 88,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I have a TERRIBLE diet, lots of fast food and I'm pretty sure the last time I ate a vegetable was that time a sorority girl got me to eat one little tree of broccoli this spring... but I've actually been losing weight because my university's on a hill.
I just gained a ridiculous amount of respect for you.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:16 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism View Post
Nah, he's 100% douche just like TommyFeLcher. Yeah, he just sterotypes places, anywhere that are not his hipster gay greenie hard-left inner city lifestyle is a meth crack addict bympkin hillybilly hole.

Exhibit A:

Geez the way you have been snidely insulting and spreading stereotypes suggests you are frustrated youself. Boyfriend can't get his pin up?

Oh, and no one exaggerrates Leed's climate, it really is as ****house as it's made out to be. Boring ass summerless maritime overcast wank. It's a cold wet miserable damp crap even by british standards. It has more in common with Northern Ireland than London
Like I said - frustrated. You spent all of that time moving to somewhere else in search of slightly better weather - yet you're back again boring us all with your alcohol-fuelled rants about how, quelle surprise, the wearher isn't to your liking.

Seek professional help is my advice. No amount of sunny, hot weather will cure whatever ails you.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-27-2016 at 01:29 AM..

Old 09-27-2016, 03:50 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
So you know me and know where I live and actually know my climate to jump to this conclusion? You are so full of **** (literally) it is ridiculous. Stop with the stereotypes and assumptions, you don't know **** about me, or anyone else you insult based on where they live you cretin, where I live or my life style, so **** yourself and insult someone you are actually familiar with. ****en pretentious hard-left imbecile.
Any snow on the hills in Mildura?

Old 09-27-2016, 04:12 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
So you know me and know where I live and actually know my climate to jump to this conclusion? You are so full of **** (literally) it is ridiculous. Stop with the stereotypes and assumptions, you don't know **** about me, or anyone else you insult based on where they live you cretin, where I live or my life style, so **** yourself and insult someone you are actually familiar with. ****en pretentious hard-left imbecile.

Why are you so mean? I just want to be friends.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:31 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,672,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Also I just realized I have quite a few memories from the 4th of July in 1998. The college freshmen now were usually born between about Sept. 1997 and Sept. 1998. I was talking to some of them the first week of school and one of them didn't even know what dial up internet was.

Geeze, I feel so old.
Craaaazy to think of it really.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,934 times
I'm only in high school now and I know exactly what dial-up internet was. And my family had a landline phone until just a year ago.

You're not that old yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather