Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Led Zeppelin are the best rock band ever IMHO.
Absolutely.

I'd put AC/DC pretty close to them too.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
REM's older stuff is overlooked in favour of their 90's work. It's a shame, but understand since the after music was more commercially successful.
Yeah to me their best album list is as follows:

1, New Adventures in Hi-Fi; 1996 (2nd on Billboard)
2, Document; 1987 (10th)
3, Lifes Rich Pageant; 1986 (21nd)
4, Monster; 1994 (1st)
5, Fables of the Reconstruction; 1985 (28th)
6, Reckoning; 1984 (27th)

The top five right there I'd rate A+, Reckoning is a mere A because it has some boring stretches, although Harborcoat is one brilliant song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO6N8lQMBYM

Both Out of Time and Automatic for the People are left in the dust of these albums, I think Murmur from 1983 is a bit overrated by hardcore fans, but very underrated elsewhere, but these three albums are 7-9. Nightswimming in particular is overrated and Everybody Hurts is kind of boring as a song. What separates New Adventures and Monster from the early 90's album was their implementation of the grunge sound into the R.E.M. template, which at times could be absolutely devastating. Essentially those albums were a mix of Nirvana's Nevermind with their own sound. Absolutely legendary stuff. Cobain never got to hear those albums, but I'm sure he'd been mighty impressed. He was pretty much R.E.M's #1 fan after all

Their final album Collapse Into Now from 2011 just beats Green for 10th. I think Green is a weird album that in many aspect sounds a bit ridiculous, it's entirely listenable and I love Turn You Inside-Out and Orange Crush, but it's extremely peak and valley.

Having said that, what I really love about R.E.M. was that even during their absolute hopeless times (1998-2004) they came up with gems. Reveal (2001) was an absolute ludicrous album yet had this song on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYeQb3yBF0c

Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
I'd say my favorite rock band is Pink Floyd, not that I'm a diehard rock fan to begin with. I won't tell what my favorite REM song is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
6. Dancing bachata
Do you dance salsa or kizomba as well?

Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I'd say my favorite rock band is Pink Floyd, not that I'm a diehard rock fan to begin with. I won't tell what my favorite REM song is.
Is it such an embarrassing song?

You can PM me and I'll keep it a secret Merci in advance!

Old 04-22-2017, 02:34 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Do you dance salsa or kizomba as well?
A bit, but salsa is a bit difficult to learn because of how fast it is. I find bachata comes much more natural to me

Tbh I dont know what kizomba is

Old 04-22-2017, 03:55 PM

One poll today showed the Conservatives at 50 % (!) of the popular vote for the coming election, while Labour at 25...

UKIP is bleeding votes to the Tories at a rate even I didn't expect.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:59 PM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
One poll today showed the Conservatives at 50 % (!) of the popular vote for the coming election, while Labour at 25...

UKIP is bleeding votes to the Tories at a rate even I didn't expect.
I'm not surprised. In the last general election I voted Labour, but I am seriously considering voting Conservative myself this time. The UK is in enough political turmoil as it is, I really don't think it is in the best interests of the country to have a new government before Brexit has been sorted...

Old 04-22-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I'm not surprised. In the last general election I voted Labour, but I am seriously considering voting Conservative myself this time. The UK is in enough political turmoil as it is, I really don't think it is in the best interests of the country to have a new government before Brexit has been sorted...
I always thought pigs would fly and Jesus return before you'd vote Tory?

Old 04-22-2017, 04:20 PM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I always thought pigs would fly and Jesus return before you'd vote Tory?
I did actually vote Conservative once before, as I always voted for who I thought was best for my local area, than for who should be PM. If anyone else was Labour leader I would probably vote them, but as things stand voting anything other than Conservative/Labour would be pointless, so it doesn't leave me with much choice really...

Old 04-22-2017, 06:17 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I did actually vote Conservative once before, as I always voted for who I thought was best for my local area, than for who should be PM. If anyone else was Labour leader I would probably vote them, but as things stand voting anything other than Conservative/Labour would be pointless, so it doesn't leave me with much choice really...
Well, look at it this way - the Conservatives will win a large majority whether you vote for them or the Monster Raving Loony Party. It really doesn't matter. I live in a constituency where 50% of all votes are 'wasted'.

Oh, and for the record - Labour once hit 63% in an opinion poll before the 1997 General Election. Of course, the big difference this time is that the Tories have been in power for 7 years - but still, this level of popularity for a political party in the UK is not unprecedented. It's a lot easier to achieve with FPTP because people just end up coalescing around one or two parties. There's even a theory about a 'snowball effect' - i.e people don't want to back a loser so end up voting for whatever party they think will win.

But yeah, for people who are left of centre it's a pretty depressing state of affairs. Only positive is that Corybn will probably (hopefully) be gone afterwards.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-22-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather