Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:50 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,418,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
With your averages in March and your latitude your last 32F should be in March, not April. You probably have the latest freeze date than everywhere else at your latitude and elevation.
Admittedly yes, it's close though maybe in the future it will be in the last few days in March on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM

434 posts, read 1,042,622 times
East Asia has to be the worse, more specifically, China. So cold in the winter for it's latitude and then it doesn't snow...thumbs down. I can tolerate Hong Kong, Seoul, and Sea of Japan cities. Anything else in East Asia...no! Wouldn't want to, weatherwise.

Much of the South East US(excluding Florida) is way too cold for it's latitude, only China is worse. Someone mentioned Phoenix in this thread, exactly right! Atlanta and Phoenix are nearly same elevation and latitude, 68/45 vs 52/34 for January averages...wow! Same with LA at 68/47. When it comes to major south eastern cities, the weather seems to stop warming from Richmond, VA. Rich, Nash, Knox, Char, Atl, Bir, and everywhere in between have just about the same regional climate I would say. Almost want to live in Richmond because at least I'll get 10 inches of snow. If it's going to be cold....well, let it snow!

'Too mild', temperate climates, are not the best IMO. The Pacific coast of the Americas yeah I'm talking about you. Lack rainfall, plenty of cool, chilly days but usually lacks a true winter and snow, not or barely warm enough for a true summer. Central Mexico down into northern South America, I would say has the best climate when it comes to the Pacific Coast of the Americas. The rest is kinda in a weather limbo or something... LA, SD, Baja(though Baja seems to take it's time to warm from SOCAL levels) are great but everywhere else...north, not so much! This is me on the outside looking in, as I never lived in a climate like this(have been to the west coast more than a couple times though) so it's not definitive me having this opinion. I spent the whole time talking about the Pacific but it is also some/many parts of Europe that are too mild as well.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:53 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,954,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post

Much of the South East US(excluding Florida) is way too cold for it's latitude, only China is worse. Someone mentioned Phoenix in this thread, exactly right! Atlanta and Phoenix are nearly same elevation and latitude, 68/45 vs 52/34 for January averages...wow! Same with LA at 68/47. When it comes to major south eastern cities, the weather seems to stop warming from Richmond, VA. Rich, Nash, Knox, Char, Atl, Bir, and everywhere in between have just about the same regional climate I would say. Almost want to live in Richmond because at least I'll get 10 inches of snow. If it's going to be cold....well, let it snow!

Yeah, the inland South (eastern 2/3 of US) is a major climate rip off imo. Way too hot in summer, and then way too cold in winter given the latitude and elevation.

Seriously, this looks like the burbs of Philly in the depths of winter lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1quick...-CF35tV-DjTUPG

Old 08-12-2016, 11:14 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,344,934 times
Also have to mention Hudson Bay, any climate on the Hudson Bay is going to be particularly bad. You have Moosonee with -13c highs in January, and it's on the same latitude as Cliffs of Dover, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Netherlands, Czech Republic, etc. It's just two degrees north of the Scilly Isles, which have 10c highs in their coldest month. Churchill with its -22c highs is at the same latitude as Stockholm and Scotland. Just sad and unbelievable

Old 08-12-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the inland South (eastern 2/3 of US) is a major climate rip off imo. Way too hot in summer, and then way too cold in winter given the latitude and elevation.

Seriously, this looks like the burbs of Philly in the depths of winter lol.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/1quick...-CF35tV-DjTUPG
Agreed! I can tolerate the heat more so I tend to voice my opinion more about how chilly/cold it gets here. Atlanta's weather would be closer to perfect if it was warmer by 5-10 degrees half the year, autumn and winter.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:25 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,954,563 times
Quote:
Agreed! I can tolerate the heat more so I tend to voice my opinion more about how chilly/cold it gets here. Atlanta's weather would be closer to perfect if it was warmer by 5-10 degrees half the year, autumn and winter.

You'll get no argument from me. I am no fan of the climate of the inland South. It's just a slightly modified version of a continental cold winter climate.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
You'll get no argument from me. I am no fan of the climate of the inland South. It's just a slightly modified version of a continental cold winter climate.
Couldn't say it better myself. Agreed, 1000%!!!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:30 PM

459 posts, read 1,745,795 times
I just returned from a business trip to Finland, and I must say -- they get pretty ripped off with the cold, wet weather and darkness throughout most of the year. During their short 2-ish months of "summer" -- all businesses are basically shut down so people can actually enjoy decent weather.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:43 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,853,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually, we are 1° further south than Atlanta, and it all comes down to moisture and cloud cover, and I wouldn't want Atlanta's winters, too cold!

Plus, the Rockies protect us from the Arctic, so no severe cold blasts like Atlanta gets
Much less than that.

Phoenix: 33 degrees 27 minutes north
Atlanta: 33 degrees 46 minutes north

1086' elevation for Phoenix
1050' elevation for the highest parts of Atlanta

I give you Rocky Mountain blockage for the mild winters, but I don't know why elevated places out west are so damn hot in the summer.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:50 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,853,426 times
Quote:
That would be Savannah's climate. It's only a 4 hour drive from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather