Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Australia or America's climate in general?
Australia 45 31.91%
US 96 68.09%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:10 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
How does one day 6 years ago and another day 9 days later in a city in the middle of america and 40-50 miles and probably 45 minutes to an hour from the coast make the entire deep south "the crazy world of the us deep south in the winter" ? Houston isnt really coastal yet has an amazing amount of citrus and subtropical vegetation to grow in one of americas 4 largest cities quite a ways from the coast?

You are also quoting data from from years in times like 1982 and 1985 over 30 years ago when alot of people on this forum weren't even born?

Like I asked before, how do winter averages in some of these deep south cities differ from Australia? Even all these bigger gulf cities like New orleans, Houston ,Mobile,Tampa, what are their winter temp averages compared to Australia?

How do sea and air temps in places in Florida like Fort Lauderdale, Miami , The keys, Clearwater, Fort myers , Naples,Stuart, even places in north florida like Destin and Pensacola differ from the Australian coast in the winter?

Both Perth and Sydney have warmer water temps in winter than say Pensacola (avg Feb water temp 57F).

And yes their winter "averages" are the same for say NOLA, Mobile, Savannah, etc, but those cities also clearly have very sharp cold snaps in winter that Australia doesn't get. Cold snaps that are enough to substantially lower the growing zones vs Australia. Mobile, Pensacola, and Savannah are all borderline 8b/9a (winter lowest temp 18 to 22F) vs a0a for Perth and Sydney. Even their far inland cities and low elevation are no lower than 9b. You have to go to Orlando to get 9b in the Southeast away from the coast. And go any distance of say 20 or 30 miles inland from Charleston, Savannah, Mobile, etc and the Southeast cools dramatically on winter min temps. There is no where in the Southeast equivalent to Renmark or other inland Australia cities that never see the Arctic cold the inland Southeast does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 AM

163 posts, read 165,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Don't hold your breath. If current SST's hold, the blob in the NE Pacific will wreak havoc on the Southeast yet again.
They said that it is going to be a La Nina. Unless that prediction has changed, the SE US will be having a guaranteed warm, dry winter.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
They said that it is going to be a La Nina. Unless that prediction has changed, the SE US will be having a guaranteed warm, dry winter.

You crack me up with the simplistic weather description using the term "guaranteed". As if there are any guarantees of weather anywhere around this part of the world in winter.

Oh, and what La Nina would you be talking about? Only a moderate to strong brings high pressure to the Southeast and even then the ridge varies in strength and arctic outbreaks happen. Right now the consensus is neutral ENSO conditions according to NOAA. So if they are correct there will be no Nina.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Yes, it has changed.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:16 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,214,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, it has changed.
Mr. Cold Epoch probably thinks Missouri has palm trees and sees 80F in winter everyday.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:17 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
I post again, this fantastic map, which shows what is truly the trend in the US South
I again snip the ridiculous maps that pretend they can tell me the weather in 2040.

In my business you have to print "past performance is no guarantee of future results" in every report, brochure, ad, etc we produce.

Future weather maps need similar disclaimers.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:50 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
Which one?
They both are huge countries with huge differences....
I'd guess most people don't really move around much in either country.
They don't move where they pick the climate.
The rare, but not uncommon exception might be people moving from NE of US to Florida or to Arizona when they retire.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:51 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
United States. Australia is just an ensemble of boring climates.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:35 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
United States. Australia is just an ensemble of boring climates.
I have to really think about this as there's different climates within each country.

Australia is good because it has less areas with snow and freezes then the United States. But on the other hand almost all of Australia is too dry. Then again Australia also includes Hobart.

The United States has good areas like the west coast, Florida, Hawaii and California. But otherwise again the winter freezes are a problem.

With hesitation I chose Australia.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I have to really think about this as there's different climates within each country.

Australia is good because it has less areas with snow and freezes then the United States. But on the other hand almost all of Australia is too dry. Then again Australia also includes Hobart.

The United States has good areas like the west coast, Florida, Hawaii and California. But otherwise again the winter freezes are a problem.

With hesitation I chose Australia.
You are replying to a poster who despite living in Greater Miami, likes snow and freezes, so you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather