Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think oceanic climates should have snow cover?
Yes 17 47.22%
No 19 52.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 09:10 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about the definition of an oceanic climate and it seems to me that a true oceanic climate should not have any snow cover. For those "oceanic" climates according to Koppen and Trewartha that do have snow cover from time to time, there should be another category of semi-continental since obviously the snow is caused by cold continental influence and not maritime influence. An oceanic climate should not have any continental influences like Wellington, NZ for example. What do you think? Should semi-continental be a new climate category?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 09:20 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have been thinking about the definition of an oceanic climate and it seems to me that a true oceanic climate should not have any snow cover. For those "oceanic" climates according to Koppen and Trewartha that do have snow cover from time to time, there should be another category of semi-continental since obviously the snow is caused by cold continental influence and not maritime influence. An oceanic climate should not have any continental influences like Wellington, NZ for example. What do you think? Should semi-continental be a new climate category?
Not true in higher-latitude places, NW'lies can give us snow without any continental influence involved, is that not so in Vancouver?

I don't see the point in thinking in such black and white terms, why should a climate like mine that's obviously oceanic-dominated most of the time not be called oceanic just because it sometimes gets snow, which isn't even necessarily because of the continent next to us?

Wellington is just at one extreme end of the oceanic scale, there aren't many places around with such little continental influence as what you're thinking of.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:41 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,497 times
You can get snow in off the ocean aswell, infact most of my snow comes from North Westerly airstreams which are not sourced in Europe.

Source: air profile for British Isles for Thursday; cold Westerly stream.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think oceanic climates should have snow cover?-image.png  

Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Not true in higher-latitude places, NW'lies can give us snow without any continental influence involved, is that not so in Vancouver?

I don't see the point in thinking in such black and white terms, why should a climate like mine that's obviously oceanic-dominated most of the time not be called oceanic just because it sometimes gets snow, which isn't even necessarily because of the continent next to us?

Wellington is just at one extreme end of the oceanic scale, there aren't many places around with such little continental influence as what you're thinking of.
True... maybe more specific threshholds are needed ie if settling snow lasts more than a week straight or if more than two ice days in a row then the climate can be semi continental instead of pure oceanic. How could a pure oceanic climate produce settling snow for long periods of time or have ice days when you get oceanic winds blowing off an unfrozen ocean?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 AM

I've had ice days in air streams sourced in Greenland i.e maritime air that has had to travel over Oceanic water. How is that Continental?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
I've had ice days in air streams sourced in Greenland i.e maritime air that has had to travel over Oceanic water. How is that Continental?
Because Greenland is mostly polar ice cap and not that far away from you... think about it...

Old 12-19-2016, 10:01 AM

Any airmass that is moderated by the Ocean is not a Continental one.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post

Probably not, the sea fetch would most probably too long. I would imagine Vancouver sources most of its snow from further north in Canada and Alaska.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
True... maybe more specific threshholds are needed ie if settling snow lasts more than a week straight or if more than two ice days in a row then the climate can be semi continental instead of pure oceanic. How could a pure oceanic climate produce settling snow for long periods of time or have ice days when you get oceanic winds blowing off an unfrozen ocean?
Those thresholds would make me semi-continental rather than pure oceanic, agreed I'm not pure oceanic but there's a world of difference between where I live and somewhere a lot further down the "semi-continental" scale like e.g. Berlin. Hardly anywhere would count as a fully "pure" oceanic climate, you'd end up with so many different gradations of oceanic/continental it would get silly and meaningless to anyone other than the most hardcore of climate geeks

The Faroes are surrounded by hundreds of miles of ocean but they can still get frequent snow showers blowing in with the winds coming from the opposite direction to the continent - you can see here the amount of snow days with highs around or just below 0C with NW winds in late February 2001 for example (lots of snowy NW'ly outbreaks here that winter too):

https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=06011

I can't explain how that air can have been that much colder than the ocean other than just "it's cold up there anyway" - anybody? Greenland isn't that big or that near to the Faroes to have that much impact, surely?

Last edited by ben86; 12-19-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
"Should"? No.

Is it a possibility for a subset of oceanic climates to have snow cover in winter? Yes.

Just because a place is cold and snowy in winter shouldn't exclude from being oceanic all oceanic means is a place with moderated seasons considering latitude. A place at 70 N with a polar oceanic climate could have snow cover in winter, whilst holding onto it's oceanic classification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather