Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM

383 posts, read 343,585 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there any connection between cold weather and FLU/cold? I`ve noticed much more people are getting flu in cold weather during the winter. I`ve read a lot of scientific articles about it but it seems no official explanations have come out yet! It`s supposed that the more dry air the better for the virus. There is another theory which claims that people are getting flu more often in cold winter weather because of lack of sunshine and vitamin D as well!
Thus i`d like to make a mini quiz about this topic. I`d like everyone who`s gonna post an answer also will add the place he lives.
I usually get flu/cold 3-4 times during the winter. Actually right now i`m so sick)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 03:52 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,399,334 times
I haven't been properly sick in 7 years, but there is almost always a day or two in mid-autumn, just when the temperatures drop to below comfortable levels and when there is barely any sunshine, when I get some symptoms of a cold. Autumn is really the flu season here, by the time winter comes people more or less get used to the cold.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:48 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
Flu and cold is more widespread in wet season for here.

How Weather Sparks The Flu: It's All About The Humidity : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 12-29-2016, 04:53 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
I normally get a cold in autumn, then another in spring. It seems to be the changing seasons that gets to me. Although of course it's not guaranteed that I'll get a cold at these times, but that's usually when it happens.

I've never had the flu. My wife had swine flu about 5 years ago, and that was pretty bad.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:57 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
No there's no correlation. The only reason there's more sickness during cold weather is because people tend to spend indoors when it's cold outside, hence making it easier to spread sickness.

If people weren't whiny babies and actually spend time outside despite them not liking the weather, this wouldn't happen as often.

Of course, I'm not speaking of climates where there's EXTREME (well below zero) winters.

FTR - I get sick more often in summer it seems but our winters aren't cold at all here, while having quite hot and humid summers.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I normally get a cold in autumn, then another in spring. It seems to be the changing seasons that gets to me. Although of course it's not guaranteed that I'll get a cold at these times, but that's usually when it happens.

I've never had the flu. My wife had swine flu about 5 years ago, and that was pretty bad.
Me too. I got colds (sore throat, runny nose) in between seasons most of the time, especially in autumn.

However, I do happen to get influenza or bad viruses in the middle of winter (thankfully they are rare). I'm guessing because since they're viral their outspread "peak" at around that time of the season.

Oh, how bad was it? How long did take for her to recover?

Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Me too. I got colds (sore throat, runny nose) in between seasons most of the time, especially in autumn.

However, I do happen to get influenza or bad viruses in the middle of winter (thankfully they are rare). I'm guessing because since they're viral their outspread "peak" at around that time of the season.

Oh, how bad was it? How long did take for her to recover?
I tend to get them around August/September for some reason.

As if the lingering (and tiring) heat isn't already an annoyance that time of year, I tend to be sick that time of year too. '

No wonder I hate that time of year so much.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:26 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,134 times
I live in Corvallis, Oregon in the U.S. Pacific northwest. I got a cold this December for the first time since 2010. I managed to get a case of influenza last April (and who in the northern hemisphere gets the flu in April!?). Other than that I've been symptom free.
The reason why colds seem to be more prevalent in winter is people spend more time indoors and are thus are easier for those who do get sick to share their wealth.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM

658 posts, read 359,915 times
Last cold, Feb 2015 or thereabouts. It lasted about 2 days.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:10 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
No there's no correlation. The only reason there's more sickness during cold weather is because people tend to spend indoors when it's cold outside, hence making it easier to spread sickness.
That's not true for many Australians though (excluding those from the southeast - Melbourne, Canberra, Hobart).

Our summers are too hot. So we'd avoid going outdoors more in that season (unless if we're going to swim). Our winters are comfortable enough for walking and hiking. We usually spend more time outdoors in the cool season. And yet, we still get sick more in that season. How do you explain that?

There is a reason why people tend to get the rhinovirus when temps suddenly plummet:

"Here’s Carl Zimmer, reporting for the New York Times on Thursday:

At body temperature, the cells responded with a sophisticated defense, sending out warning signals to uninfected cells around them. Those cells prepared an arsenal of antiviral proteins, which they used to destroy the rhinoviruses.

But at a relatively cool 91.4 degrees Fahrenheit, Dr. Iwasaki and her colleagues found, things changed.

The neighboring cells only managed a weak defense, allowing the rhinoviruses to invade them and multiply. This result pointed to an explanation for why rhinoviruses plague humans at low temperatures: In cool conditions, the immune system somehow falters.
"

Scientists Finally Prove Why Cold Weather Makes You Sick ? NOVA Next | PBS

Sudden temperature change can also make you sick. Going in and out from heated indoors and outdoors that are 15C cooler is bad for your immune system. Indeed though, being around a lot of people indoors isn't also helping. But that is surely NOT the sole factor here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather