Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times

Advertisements

I am annoyed by people who assume that if you live somewhere with four seasons:

A.) You live in the Arctic tundra eight months out of the year and only see green grass and trees briefly during the summer.

B.) You are obviously just settling and are in reality insanely jealous of the climate where they live. You are somehow inferior if you don't mind four seasons with a cold winter because OBVIOUSLY everyone would live somewhere that is hot to warm all the time if they could.

I work for a company where I can telecommute and my co-workers live all over the country. It's so funny when we get a new employee who lives somewhere like Florida or Texas and I tell them that I live in Michigan. Their initial reaction is often, "Oh, BRRR!!! How can you stand it, it's so cold! I bet you get tons of snow! I could never live somewhere like that!" No, actually we have had to shovel snow twice this winter and it was also just twice last winter. We have had a total of less than a foot of snow all winter, temps were close to 70 during the last week of February, and believe it or not, our summers are hotter than Hades at times with temps in the 90s and extreme humidity. We can step outside and feel like our eyeballs are sweating, and yes, that's here in Michigan. We do not live in the Yukon, for heaven's sake!

I don't say to them, "Gee, I could never live in Houston! How can you stand it? It's, like, 110 degrees nine months of the year there and you break into a sweat just thinking about walking from your house to your car!"

People are funny.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:12 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I work for a company where I can telecommute and my co-workers live all over the country. It's so funny when we get a new employee who lives somewhere like Florida or Texas and I tell them that I live in Michigan. Their initial reaction is often, "Oh, BRRR!!! How can you stand it, it's so cold! I bet you get tons of snow! I could never live somewhere like that!" No, actually we have had to shovel snow twice this winter and it was also just twice last winter. We have had a total of less than a foot of snow all winter, temps were close to 70 during the last week of February, and believe it or not, our summers are hotter than Hades at times with temps in the 90s and extreme humidity. We can step outside and feel like our eyeballs are sweating, and yes, that's here in Michigan. We do not live in the Yukon, for heaven's sake!

I don't say to them, "Gee, I could never live in Houston! How can you stand it? It's, like, 110 degrees nine months of the year there and you break into a sweat just thinking about walking from your house to your car!"
You may not say it but I've heard it (too hot in the south, I could never live there) plenty of times. It's usually just friendly jabs that go both ways.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:50 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Many more species are not able to be enjoyed in Charleston though- no homemade lemonade for Charlestonians, nor homemade guacamole for flips sake!

Joe you would be wrong about that. Meyer Lemon trees grow very well in Charleston and also backyards have avocado trees.

Supposedly problem is in getting the squirrels to not eat all the fruit off the avocado tree. One guy in Charleston loses half his tree fruit to squirrels.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Joe you would be wrong about that. Meyer Lemon trees grow very well in Charleston and also backyards have avocado trees.

Supposedly problem is in getting the squirrels to not eat all the fruit off the avocado tree. One guy in Charleston loses half his tree fruit to squirrels.
That's not what my source ( Google) is saying. There's talk of plants in pots, frost cloths and stoic attitudes.

They're both quite resilient plants though and Charleston doesn't look like it sees temperatures below -5C most years. They've squirrels and we've got possums, although they eat the new tips and flowers more than the fruit - they pay dearly for that though.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Wow, Tom's back ☺

Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 AM

43 posts, read 85,499 times
I live in SW Florida and am very slightly annoyed by people constantly bitching about the heat and humidity....we know it's hot and humid, what did you expect?

What annoys me way more is when people conflate weather terminology, or misuse weather terminology. If I hear one more person say that we are being hit by a monsoon or a tsunami when we are getting a thunderstorm...

Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I don't get the hate for dry climates. I'd understand the aversion if we were living 200 years in the past when we had limited access to water and depended on the rain most of them. People tend to think dry equals lethal or something. Like, relax, if you're in a first world country you shouldn't worry about living in a virtually rainless climate. Look at how the Gulf Arab countries are striving in their virtually dry climate. The only "lethal" thing about their climate though is the extreme heat.

What's livable about a climate that gets like 1700mm+ of rain? How do you go outside with all that intrusive rain? How do you drive? How do you deal with (lethal) floods?

P.S. Yes, yes, dry is lethal too. But if you're living in (parts of) Africa, India or something.
My issue with dry climates is the brown landscape and sunshine. Neither are very appealing IMO. That said, if it is going to be warm, I would rather have lower humidity. It would be interesting to have a cloudy, dry, warm summer climate...like 80 degrees with low humidity, but not too much sun.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:33 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,539,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
My issue with dry climates is the brown landscape and sunshine. Neither are very appealing IMO. That said, if it is going to be warm, I would rather have lower humidity. It would be interesting to have a cloudy, dry, warm summer climate...like 80 degrees with low humidity, but not too much sun.
Germany, France and parrs of Switzerland are pretty cloudy and have about 26'C average highs and like 15'C high DP.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:43 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
But sunshine is not guaranteed in drier climates but you will definitely get dead landscapes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penticton#Climate

Old 03-05-2017, 10:55 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times
I should clarify I am talking about summer sunshine hours. Places like Penticton still have high percentages of possible sunshine. I realize the landscape would be barren regardless if it is sunny or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather